Quantcast

5th Avalanche/Sunday options

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thinking about trying a new shock for my 08 sunday...not sold on the performance of the Fox. In particular, I'd like faster rebound and more progression/bottom out resistance. I have my eye on an old Proggy 5th elephant, then an avalanche rebuild. Should end up cheaper than a new shock, either Avy or Bos or anything else, and will be more custom tuned to myself/my bike than others. Has anybody had this done? I came off avy suspension before and loved it, but I don't necessarily want uber-plush drop machine either.

What should I look for in a used 5th if so? There's a couple on stinkbike for way cheap.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
a buddy of mine has the Avy mod on his Swinger, which is essentially the same thing as the 5th. its a huge improvement over the stock shock and has that good ol Avy feel

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
a buddy of mine has the Avy mod on his Swinger, which is essentially the same thing as the 5th. its a huge improvement over the stock shock and has that good ol Avy feel
he means fat f uck buffalo mike, you know him. Him and woody spoon when they are around eachother.

Get it done, it feels real nice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I did the fundamental portion of the mod myself, and it was a world of difference. I believe the Sunday needs less compression damping than most frames, so it might not hurt to have craig do it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Does it compare to "out of the box" shocks like a genuine avy or vivid? I'd rather not invest in the shock and then the tune if it's going to be a band-aid as compared to a more legit shock.

Really wasn't feeling the performance of the fox this weekend, and PUSH is busy huffing gas instead of releasing the mx tune.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
it is the real deal man. Did you actually look into and read all the upgrades that you get or just look at the pictures and price tag?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Read the upgrades, but that doesn't mean it works as advertised. Lots of things look great on paper....but are much different in real life.

freemtnrider

Chimp
Feb 22, 2008
On the Shore by Bay
I had Marzocchi tune up a Roco WC for my Sunday and was done with it. Best move ever. Buttery smooth and easy to adjust. They had it to me in like three days. I think I coughed up $315 for it with the tune.

Let me know if you go the 5th route. I got an extra I'll let go cheap.