Quantcast

5th Element Air on SC Superlight

cwbastian

Chimp
Jun 25, 2002
NorCal
Anybody out there ridden or own a Superlight with a 5th Element Air upgrade? I've been thinking about dumping my SL and buying a Blur to get a more plush, trailbike kinda feel. After reading about the 5 Air, I'm wondering if it might transform the Superlight into something that feels more like a Blur.

I traded an '01 Bullit with a Fox Vanilla RC for an '03 Bullit w/ a 5th coilover this spring and the difference between the two bikes is freaking amazing. Progressive has got their act together.

Anyway, Superlight/5th Air anyone?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yup, just installed one on a customers the other day, feels GREAT!
test the difference in the flex of the swing arm, looks and i think feels better when riding it. the guys like 160lbs and has about 100psi in the main chamber and then like 60psi in the other.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
though the 5th on a Blur feels wayyyy better, mostly has to do with the linkage, but i say stay with what you got.
just finish building a 24lbs Blur the other day, feels great. also my shop only stocks blurs with the 5th shock on them anyway. have built like 7 so far with 5th, and 3 with the AVA. not caring for the AVA, people have blow seals and such, also that stupid bushing ring wears out like every month

cwbastian

Chimp
Jun 25, 2002
NorCal
Originally posted by DHS
...not caring for the AVA, people have blow seals and such, also that stupid bushing ring wears out like every month
Yeah, I'm over Fox shocks (although I do like their Forx a whole bunch). Have had two rebuilds done on my Float RC to the tune of $90 a pop. The damn nitrogen damping system is the only thing preventing me from tearing into it myself. From now on I say screw anything that has to go back to the factory for routine service. That's yet another thing that's attractive about the 5th Air. It's simple and looks easy to fix should it torch itself.

So how's the customer's SL ride with the 5th Air? More plush? I'm hoping I can run less air pressure and get a better, non-bobbing ride that with the Float. With the Fox I've got to run pretty high pressure (I'm 205lbs) in order to get rid of the bobs, and the ride sucks when the trail gets rough.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by DHS
though the 5th on a Blur feels wayyyy better, mostly has to do with the linkage, but i say stay with what you got.
just finish building a 24lbs Blur the other day, feels great. also my shop only stocks blurs with the 5th shock on them anyway. have built like 7 so far with 5th, and 3 with the AVA. not caring for the AVA, people have blow seals and such, also that stupid bushing ring wears out like every month
Good info - I'm looking to get a Blur over the Winter and hadn't even thought about deciding between the 5th and the AVA. Also, how was that 24 lb Blur built up?

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
frame-Santa CRuz Blur Small
fork-Fox Float 100RLC
headset-KING
Stem-Raceface 100mm
Bar-Easten Carbon SL
Shifters-SRAM X.9 triggers
Brake levers-Avid Ultimate
Brakes-Avid Ball bearing disc brakes
F der-03 XTR
R der-03 X.O. long cage
Hubs-DT Swiss Hugi 240 32¡
spokes-DT Swiss Superstock
nipples-Alum
rims-Bontrager Valiant
Tires-Mich Comp S
tubes-NOTUBES system
BB-Raceface Sig XS
cranks-Raceface Next LP
pedals-Crank bros Ti eggbeaters ($400)
seatpost-thomson
seat-SLR XP
grips-pedros dice
cables-stainless steel
chain-PC-89
skewers-Salsa Ti

Customer wanted Avid mechs cause they're his first disc brake, and easy to use. i know we could have used a different brake to make it lighter, maybe even alum rotors.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
That means its going on tonight and then being test ridden in the dark. I'll let you know what I think on Monday. Its going on an 02 Superlight.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Its good. First ride I cleaned the whole ride. I haven't done that for some time. I have a standard test loop which has a bunch of really technical singletrack with no climbing. Many logs roots and turns. There is also a really steep granny climb which has several technical bits, rocks and roots, which make it challenging. I tested the wifes Blur in the spring and cleaned the climb which was I think a first for me. Cleaned it on the Superlight for the first time this year at least with the 5th on.

The bike feels livelier I think because when you need a short burst of speed, the bike responds just a bit better. And I 'm still fidling with pressures to find what I like. I'm in the 140 range and I'm running 70 in the IFP and 80 in the main chamber. As it breaks in I seem to need different pressures. Sure filters out pedal induced movement though.

But It didn't come with proper adapters for the front connection. I'll have to contact the Trident guys to see about that. That's the local distributor.