Quantcast

5th Element air. Opinions?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I've been riding the wifes Blur lately as she's recuperating from knee surgery and my shock had been away for some warrantee work. I'm back on my Superlight which has a Fox Float R on the back. I don't use no stinking lockouts because I ride nearly 100% off road but the Blur is a bit of a revelation.

So I'm considering trying the 5th Element Air. Its very light and I'm thinking it could bring a positive change to the ride characteristics of the Superlight's single pivot suspension. Anyone using one on a Superlight or similar bike? Any problems with the shock? They are so new I don't think any one can say anything about durability but I'm curious to know about them.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
My local shop has a couple Blur's in with the 5th Air on them. They also told me the Canadian service centre in in North Van which I really like. IF one has an issue its nice to know one can get a face to face discussion.

One of my buddies has a new Heckler with the 5th Coil on it. I watched him riding up a paved hill and the lack of motion was good. Similar to the Wife on her Blur which was a maiden ride and we still need to fiddle. The superlight doesn't move much either but I'm thinking it can be set softer but with similar lack of excess motion.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Progressive suspension won't cure all but it sure helps alot. I'm riding one on a Bullit and also a Manitou SPV air on my Giant Vt and if you dial them in to your preference your golden.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya the canadian dealer/service is in North Van they're the ones who sent me my free 5th. They seem awsome i'd go for it.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
The 5th should have the most noticable effects on single pivots. Just going by how the shock on my M-1 feels(I know, diferent bike blah blah blah...), vs. all the other rear shocks I've owned on various frames, I think you should love it. 5th shocks in general seem to do a very good job of settling in to one opint of the stroke and then only reacting to bumps.