Quantcast

5th Element Air

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
what looks good on the designers blue prints sometimes doesnt work in the real world. So as with any new bike product (paricularly suspention), there may have to be some bugs worked out and therefore your going to get people sayin the new product is junk. unless your hardcore racing or its the only shock you can get with the frame you want I say give it a year to get the bugs out.

as far as it being worth it. if they work anything like the oil shock its for sure worth it.... just not yet

Originally posted by Dirt rider
what looks good on the designers blue prints sometimes doesnt work in the real world. So as with any new bike product (paricularly suspention), there may have to be some bugs worked out and therefore your going to get people sayin the new product is junk. unless your hardcore racing or its the only shock you can get with the frame you want I say give it a year to get the bugs out.

as far as it being worth it. if they work anything like the oil shock its for sure worth it.... just not yet
do we think that they are currently selling "fixed" shocks or the same ones they sold at the beginning of the model year?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I'd wait till next season. I personally think it's an amazing shock on paper, and progressive has shown themselves to be a really reliable company in the past in terms of fixing problems with production shocks (and there are ALWAYS problems with producing a brand new product).

I'm sure they'll be working just fine by Spring.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I talked to several people who have had them on new Blurs and have heard of no problems, and everyone seemed to love them. I had actually ordered one from Colorado Cyclist but they lied about having it in stock, lied about shipping one to me, lied about giving me a refund. Several weeks and angry phone calls later I gave up on the shock and will never ever do business with Colorado Cyclist.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Westy
I talked to several people who have had them on new Blurs and have heard of no problems, and everyone seemed to love them. I had actually ordered one from Colorado Cyclist but they lied about having it in stock, lied about shipping one to me, lied about giving me a refund. Several weeks and angry phone calls later I gave up on the shock and will never ever do business with Colorado Cyclist.
I have a Manitou Swinger 4-way (coil) for your AC if your interested Mike.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
My local shop told me that the first two they got on Blur's had to go back. I think one of the parts was poorly machined or fit and it caused an air leak. Another one seems to be wearing the anodizing off the shock shaft, but that might just be cosmetic. I ordered one in May I think maybe June and nothing has showed up yet. I keep getting updates, no parts to assemble yet, etc etc etc.

Originally posted by oldfart
My local shop told me that the first two they got on Blur's had to go back. I think one of the parts was poorly machined or fit and it caused an air leak. Another one seems to be wearing the anodizing off the shock shaft, but that might just be cosmetic. I ordered one in May I think maybe June and nothing has showed up yet. I keep getting updates, no parts to assemble yet, etc etc etc.
you ordered a blur or the shock?

My Blur came with the Fox AVA, which for the record worked well. I had the opportunity to purchase the 5th and jumped at the chance, cause I :heart: to upgrade...

Anyway, the 5th feels very stiff and rides just as efficiently as the Fox. Once it starts to move however, it feels SOOOO plush.

So what am I babbling about.... the 5th is an excellent pedaling platform shock. I have had no air leakage (unlike the Fox), or oil leakage. It is lighter, and suffers less sideloading. I recommend the shock to anyone who needs a new one ( or :heart: to upgrade).

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
you ordered a blur or the shock?
a shock. The local distributor is in North Van so updates are easy to get and if a repair was needed they do that too. I think I might cancel the shock and just order a Blur though. If I order one soon it should get here in 4 or 5 months!

cwbastian

Chimp
Jun 25, 2002
NorCal
Originally posted by zzyxzz

Anyway, the 5th feels very stiff and rides just as efficiently as the Fox. Once it starts to move however, it feels SOOOO plush.
I was thinking I would get rid of my Superlight and buy a Blur to get a plusher feeling rear suspension (my '03 Bullit w/ 5th has runied my appreciation for the Superlight's "suspension"). I'm now thinking that maybe all I need to do is replace the Fox Float RC with a 5th Air.

Is the 5 really a whole lot more plush than the Fox?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
I have a Manitou Swinger 4-way (coil) for your AC if your interested Mike.
HIGHJACK: What's the eye to eye on that there shock ya gots? I may be interested.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
May as well add my 2 cents. My Blur has the 5th Elephant. It has been flawlessly reliable for all four rides I've done so far.

Seriously, though, I haven't spent much time on a Blur with a Fox, but mine with the 5th is plush plush plush. 1st two times I rode it, I had to stop and make sure my rear tire was properly inflated. The key is to mess with the IFP pressure. I found running it 10 pounds lower than the reccomendation for my weight, with the main air spring 10 pounds higher works great. Just plain sweet. To top it off, I don't see or feel any movement under pedaling at all, grinding, stomping, you name it. And, even if I did, I could tune it out. Awesome setup.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Our LBS has had a couple of the 5th Elem Airs come back. I rode one on a Heckler, I didn't like it, but I guess I don't mind a little bob in return for the smooth ride of the Fox coil shock. I also couldn't bunny-hop it like I'm used to, I looked like a dork hopping around and getting about 1" of air off the trial.

In the defense of the shock, it takes more than one day in the saddle to get it dialed, so I should really give it another chance. However, I agree with others who refuse to buy the first run of any technology.

Originally posted by cwbastian
Is the 5 really a whole lot more plush than the Fox?
In terms of the Blur it is significantly more plush. It is partly due to the shock, and partly due to the suspension design. I have not ridden a 5th on a single pivot or even a linear suspension design. The Blur with the 5th peddals efficiently, climbs without noticeable bob, desends like it has 7 inches and is IMO a better shock design.
If your looking for a trail bike with XC racing potential, there is nothing better than the Blur w/5th.:dancing:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by gorgechris
Our LBS has had a couple of the 5th Elem Airs come back. I rode one on a Heckler, I didn't like it, but I guess I don't mind a little bob in return for the smooth ride of the Fox coil shock. I also couldn't bunny-hop it like I'm used to, I looked like a dork hopping around and getting about 1" of air off the trial.

In the defense of the shock, it takes more than one day in the saddle to get it dialed, so I should really give it another chance. However, I agree with others who refuse to buy the first run of any technology.
I have a Heckler with the 5th Element Air! There have been some slight problems with the Heim (sp?) sleeve bearing pushing out the rubber spacers at the eyelet. Having talked with both SC and Progressive the problem is pretty isolated on the single pivot bikes. The Heckler with more travel puts a little more load right onto that point. Anyway everyone involved has been great about taking care of the problem and I am now riding on a stronger sleeve so to say. We will see. As far as the ride is concerned this shock ROCKS! I have already put almost 400 miles on my bike since I got it 6 weeks ago. 95% of that is on rocky rooty technical single track (sans hills being in S Fl) The shock soaks up everything from studder rooty sections to 5' to flat drops that I do on our Urban Rides. It did take a few rides to get the pressures right (the SC/Progressive chart PSi's were low for my liking)

I have not blown it out or noticed any Oil Seapage. Maybe I got a later one. So far I highly recommend it!

About a 4' drop on the trail to a flat landing. The bike and shock love this one!

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by gorgechris
Uhh, pardon me while I drool over your bike. Very nice!
Thank you

BTW regarding your sig line... How much do you think my old SC board with Rob's arm coming through the bullseye would be worth if I could find it? :nopity:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
your bike is way too clean :)

what color is that? she's purdy!
She is Transblue baby. :cool:

Also that picture was taken the DAY I brought her home and installed the little Carbon Fiber Lizard skins that are supposed to protect the paint from Cable rub, but have since fallen off. Since it was dark and raining she did not get dirty that day. However the innagural ride was Sat Aug 16th and since has over 350 miles on the clock :D :cool: :D

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Originally posted by Mtb_Rob_FL
Thank you

BTW regarding your sig line... How much do you think my old SC board with Rob's arm coming through the bullseye would be worth if I could find it? :nopity:
Maybe you would have been able to trade Rob for a new frame!

I had a Red Dot and a Yellow Dot. I loved the Red Dot (owned two of them), even though it was a cheap, flat deck with hardly any tail. Sigh, the good ol' skate rat days....