Quantcast

5th Element vs. Pushed Vanilla RC (or other)

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I'm getting a new (used) shock to replace the vanilla r on my 2001 Yeti AS-X. Right now its between a used Vanilla RC with the push full race kit (tuned to a rider same weight and riding style) and a used 5th element, both $225. I am mainly upgrading to improve the pedalling performance with the Yeti in the long travel mode (6"). I use the bike for trail riding/light FR with no drops above 6'. I have my Turner DHR for DH.

Option 3: Buy a new DHX 5 for ~$360?

Thanks for your help.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I can only encourage you to go with the Push upgrade. It improved the handling of my bike quite a lot.

The time you'll spend setting up your 5th is time you could spend riding a perfectly tuned Pushed VanRC. :thumb:

gonzostrike

Monkey
May 21, 2002
Montana
I rode a Vanilla RC ProPedal on a Banshee Scream and was very impressed with its performance, and can only imagine a PUSH'd version would be a lot better.

But if your goal is to improve the pedaling of the AS-X, the 5th E might be better because its platform is MUCH MORE aggressive.

my only other thought is that $250 seems a lot of money for a used 5th E.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
If anyone here has a blown 7.875 x 2.25 Vanilla RC, I would happily buy that, and just get it sent off to push.... I don't think its worth sending in my Vanilla R.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Pooosh

Go with Push if you want service to back up the shock. Progressive will take care of you, eventually. They appear to only check their email bi-weekly, and you can wait on hold and listen to their crappy music interrupted by "your call is very important to us..." for 1/2 hr sometimes, all this for an at-best 2 week turnaround time (not including shipping to/ from you). It is supposed to be 24hrs for IH customers looking to get the proper tune for DW link bikes, but that's only if they look at the box when it comes in to see what the shock is there for.
Push is dedicated to customer service, and will take care of any problems asap. They're small, and want your business. This may not last forever, but right now, their CS is tops. And on top of that, the magic they do to shocks rocks.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
blt2ride said:
I would go with the 5th. While a "Pushed" Fox is a very plush shock, it doesn't have the adjustability of a 5th.
If you get a pushed dhx, it has comparable adjustability to a 5th. But really, if the shock is valved for you and your bike, there's not a lot of value in adjustability. Mass marketed shocks need it so they can adapt. Purpose built shocks don't need it nearly as much...

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
PUSH!!

With a personally custom tuned shock, you don't need much adjustability - it's already spot on. I dropped my 5th for a PUSH shock and it blew the 5th out of the water. Just do it and don't think twice. Otherwise I'd get the DHX, which also behaves much nicer than the 5th.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
gonzostrike said:
my only other thought is that $250 seems a lot of money for a used 5th E.
I actually said $225, but I too think thats a bit much. I've tried to talk the guy down with no luck, so I may just have to pass, especially considering its a 2002 model shock.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
pushed fox's are nice but it is still a vanilla rc. I love platform shocks and the progressive is a great shock.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I think i found a blown Vanilla RC i will just send to push for them to tune for me. Whats a fair price on a blown RC?

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Eh, Darren and James are both busy guys, don't really want to bother them with anything that won't be a sale. If that Vanilla DH is PUSH-able, does anybody know how that feels compared to a standard PUSH-ed Vanilla RC?

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
go with the DHX the pro pedal ans strength and even the feel is so worht the money wont need a new one till it bracks which will be in a long time

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
mobius said:
pushed fox's are nice but it is still a vanilla rc. I love platform shocks and the progressive is a great shock.

A Pushed Fox is most definately NOT still a vanilla RC. Entirely new guts, not just a tweaked stack. Much greater performance. And it also makes the Fox a platform shock, so you're wrong there too.

My vote is obviously for Push. Been running there stuff since they started. Love it. :thumb: