Quantcast

5th Element, Worth Fixing?/How?

A

Asafus

The thing is that i have A sunday 2005 frame which means i need to inveset
like 650$ if i want to replace the shock + the linkage.

so i thought maybe i can reapir it a little...

but where do i start?
does someone have the Manual?
or the address to it?
cause in their web site they forgot about this shock.

I need any help/suggestion!

Thank's very much!
Asaf

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do a search in this forum. There are a few in-depth threads on how to repair the shock and convert it from platform damped compression to a shim stack damped compression.

shimmmmmmmmmzzzzzzzzzzzz

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I actually like how my Fifth works, biggest bitch I have is not having detents on the adjustments....I gotta say, I am looking for a new shock, but at the same time, the idea of sending to Avy is pretty atractive

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Avalanche rebuild 179$?

I'm about to short shock my VPFree with the 5th from my 03 Bullit with one.

Otherwise - its an Okay shock, well controlled, but dead and blah feeling.

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
I have an Avy modded 5th shock on my old bullit and while its is an improvement, for the $$$ i would consider a new shock depending on the deal.
Ditto. Basically it is still not as good as current shocks, although it is a lot better than a 5th in stock form. Basically it will get superplush on the initial travel and move a lot better at high speed, but you will still have the hydraulic topout circuit messing with the rebound. If you already have the 5th it isn't a bad investment, but personally I wouldn't do it again. Between the topout circuit, no detents, and super-sensitive adjustments it is just a PITA to setup.

Avalanche charges $179 for the service. You can pick up any number of shocks in the $150-250 range on e-bay or the classifieds that are better.