Quantcast

5wt oil for Rockshox lower leg

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'm in a bit of a rush and need to service a couple of Revelation forks. Manual says 15wt in the lower leg.
All I've got in the house is 5wt. Does it really matter if all this oil does is lube the bushings?

I did my Lyrik and Boxxer this way in a pitch last month but one of these forks isn't mine.

I know my Fox was 5wt for the lube oil.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I've used synthetic engine oil in my boxxers from advice on here and it has been great. So that could be another option for around the house available. With 5wt I'd only be concerned that its not heavy enough to stay on the bushings like it should.
But hey, if fox does it, I bet it's ok.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
should be fine if you make sure to watch it. make sure the levels are high and invert it before riding. Then replace the oil as soon as you get the right stuff.

I had very bad luck with motor oil in my fork, I would not do it again.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
mobil one full synth 5w40...i still have the jug it came from. I got bushing swell and my fork got sticky. Removing it and replacing it didn't help. YMMV. My fork was a known bad fork (2010 RS Boxxer team) so it's possible that not everybody will have the same bad experience.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
mobil one full synth 5w40...i still have the jug it came from. I got bushing swell and my fork got sticky. Removing it and replacing it didn't help. YMMV. My fork was a known bad fork (2010 RS Boxxer team) so it's possible that not everybody will have the same bad experience.
I kid I kid!
Reading some of the more recent threads than the ancient one that got me to try motor oil makes it apparent that it doesn't always work so well. Whatever I've been using has been great, but most likely after this crap runs out I'll just run what my forks call for.
The problem you had sounds pretty bad! I freakin hate sticky forks...

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I rebuilt my Rev last month and used 5wt in the lowers. It does seem to be seeping out a little bit(lots of dust is hanging around my wipers) I also invert my cycle for a few minutes before I ride.

You gotta remember its just lube, in prison spit is considered lube. :homer:

Thanks for reminding me to go buy some more 15wt and Judy Butter.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I kid I kid!
Reading some of the more recent threads than the ancient one that got me to try motor oil makes it apparent that it doesn't always work so well. Whatever I've been using has been great, but most likely after this crap runs out I'll just run what my forks call for.
The problem you had sounds pretty bad! I freakin hate sticky forks...
yeah this guy was pretty rough. No preload and no compression damping and it still wouldn't move over anything under 6". RS replaced the whole damn thing which I appreciated and fixed the problem.

There are just detergents and anti-foaming agents in motor oil that don't belong in suspension forks. With the high-tech stuff we ride on nowadays, I can't see the logic in using anything less than the best. It would be like running 3in1 oil on an 11 speed chain...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Hmm, well I pulled both forks apart last night. These are both new right out of the box and they wasn't more than a coating of oil.
I thru 5-10ml in ea leg and called it good. If it comes out, then I'll redo it.

I was only doing this to swap the lowers out of pure vanity. Gotta match the colorways, yo.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Pegboy, if you're out there, I thought this thread was about you... :)