Quantcast

6 bike racks

gawdodirt

Chimp
Dec 14, 2013
Phoenix AZ
Hi,
Kinda new here, but not new to fab and bikes. There are lots of bike trailers who have mastered the art of hold downs in minimal space. I googled and found some great ideas to incorporate into bed mount haulers. Upright storage seems to be the most efficient. And safest for the cargo. Also, look for round tubing near the bikes instead of square tubing because 1, it has a better beam strength, and 2, is won't gouge your precious bike. Aluminum is the material of choice for weight and less impinging on aluminum frames. Right?
Just a 'from the a$$' idea, but you could get 8 bikes in a 4 x 8 bed, standing upright with some room for storage near the rear wheels.

GD

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I'm actually a rollcage builder, I spend more time with round tube than I want to.
Square tubing has straight walls that are unparalleled by round. I've tried round tubing racks and you would not believe how much the bikes will move. When you know the opposing forces on a tube are pretty much front to back and side to side (as in an upright bike carrier) you know how to position a square tube to control it.
Aluminum simply won't last. By nature it begins "failing" the very second it leaves the extrusion die. That's why strength treatments are done in AGE ovens. This speeds up the hardening process to a useable material, but just sitting in a corner it will harden, then grow brittle, then crack and fail when you use it. Add vibration and leverage to that equation.
Everyone here knows that bicycles fit in truck beds. The point is they want the beds open for gear. And prob to avoid having to climb up into a loaded truck bed and hand down bikes. We've all done it, it blows.
And a single bike upright in a truck bed would kill mpg in a deisel, let alone the ability to swing through any place to grab a coffee.
But innovate, create, fail and move forward!

gawdodirt

Chimp
Dec 14, 2013
Phoenix AZ
Hey!
I also do fab work. I build and modify off road trucks and cars. Lots of TIG on 4130 and the like. If you choose the proper alloy, (T6511), it actually work hardens after the bending operation. I do get many who do mild steel denouncing the properties of AL, with not much prior experence. I'm going to guess on how much AL experience anyone here has, because that is just stupid. I also do Tuna towers and mucho alloy work on salt water boats. With great success. Proper engineering work PRIOR to taking on the task is the key to success.
Also, the beam strength is much better in non-directional events with round than square. As you know, guys choose square because it's cheap and they don't have to guess on mitre'd cuts or proper coping of the tubing. It's a no-brainer to fab.
Each can have their own ideas, and we do. I'v built racks like this and they are no higher than a camper. I own a diesel and it's hardly a blip on the mileage screen. That's why I own a diesel.

But placing MY bikes, and my buddies bikes on a hitch, in a crash zone, is not on my menu. I have too much invested to risk.

GD

:-)

Last edited:

gawdodirt

Chimp
Dec 14, 2013
Phoenix AZ
Take a look at this: This is what I meant when I said "In Bed Bike Rack." This is what I build, in Aluminum so you can take it out when not in use.

http://www.chiltd.co.uk/item/31/mtb---mountain-bike-transport-trailer

Pretty sweet really. Round tubing on the tire hoops and square on the base holder.
Plenty strong as the rack only steadies the bikes, not holds their weight. And they're not bouncing on the suspension up a rocky road. Or bound down on the suspension with a ratchet strap. Lightness is rightness.

GD

Last edited:

gawdodirt

Chimp
Dec 14, 2013
Phoenix AZ
Any option that fills your need is a good option. We did the tailgate blanket and did not have enough stabilization and ended up with some scrapes and rash. How do you guys keep them separated on the gate?
Straps or guides?

Thanks!

GD

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar

Had room for another. My bike rack is made for four bikes, but also has extensions to add two more for a total of 6. PM me if you want some details.