Quantcast

6 bike racks

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Who makes them besides Northshore.
I've used the NS but I don't love them and I don't feel they are worth almost $800.
For that kind of money, I need to love it.

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
How do you feel that a sturdy $800 rack is not appropriate for carrying $30,000 worth of bikes?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I have no problem spending $800, I just see things I don't like about the NS so I'm looking for other options.

I might build my own. I did a 2 bike swing out for my van and it puts every other rack to shame. Just need to come up with a better design for a 6 up.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
what kind of vehicle do you have?

I thought about taking my over the bed rack and turning it into a hitch rack of sorts, but never felt like doing all the work, plus my over the bed rack works nice and is completely adjustable.

I can do 6 bikes across pretty easily I am sure, i've done 5 but ran out of racks and had to put the hitch rack in.

3 and 3 here, but you get the idea.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
what kind of vehicle do you have?
[/IMG]

I guess that would be good info to include. It's going on my Tacoma with a canopy. So anything 2" received will work.
I don't like the NS because it takes 2 people to drop it down and get in the canopy. My dog lives back there so that's a lot of in and out on road trips.
So something with a swing out pivot would be great.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I guess that would be good info to include. It's going on my Tacoma with a canopy. So anything 2" received will work.
I don't like the NS because it takes 2 people to drop it down and get in the canopy. My dog lives back there so that's a lot of in and out on road trips.
So something with a swing out pivot would be great.
if you have 6 bikes on the rack, having 2 people around to drop it down really isn't a problem, now is it?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
if you have 6 bikes on the rack, having 2 people around to drop it down really isn't a problem, now is it?
Ya, you should be able to rotate it alone if it is empty or only has 1-2 bikes.

6 bikes hanging on a pivoting arm seems kinda wack too.
Not really. It is SUPER solid. Tons of miles on mine with my Tundra and still working great. I've had 6 bikes on it and just tried to hang all my weight on it, it doesn't budge at all. I'd imagine it has the strength to hold 10+ bikes if there were room.

I had some reservations dropping the money at first, but it looks like it will basically last a lifetime, so I think it's worth it. Definitely makes road trips and shuttling a lot easier.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
My dream would be a new Tundra.
We have an '03 Access cab, but the new crew cabs look sweet, although they only have the 5.5' box.

Add this on top:

http://diamondbackcovers.com/diamondback-x.php

And then either tufrack or custom rack on top of that. It would give you the whole bed for lockable, watertight storage, with 6ish bikes on top.

....one day.
Did this over the top of a Rollin-lock on my Tacoma in 04. No longer have, but great system.

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
They ARE sick. Crewmax with a rack is the way to go. I'm SO glad I didn't go double cab. Hacktastic and I argued about this a lot. But at the end of the day, whether its shuttling, road trips, or putting 3 motos in the bed, my truck always seem to be the better choice.

My dream would be a new Tundra.
We have an '03 Access cab, but the new crew cabs look sweet, although they only have the 5.5' box.

Add this on top:

http://diamondbackcovers.com/diamondback-x.php

And then either tufrack or custom rack on top of that. It would give you the whole bed for lockable, watertight storage, with 6ish bikes on top.

....one day.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I'm in the same boat with needing a rack that holds 6. I need one that'll hold 12" to 26" wheels tho.

Anyone ever put smaller bikes on the NS rack?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
With 6 bikes ever though of a small open trailer and building a rail on one side?
Too much work. You'd have to get it registered, takes up lots of garage space, and will kill your mileage unless you have a diesel.

Also, a word about mileage with the northshore rack

With bikes and rack on at 75-80mph: ~14.5-15.5mpg
No rack at 75-80mpg: 17.5 mpg
Rack and bikes with camper shell: 16.5-17 mpg

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I already have a 26ft holiday trailer I tow with my Tundra and put the bikes in the trailer or box. I want the rack for family trips in the minivan.

I might have to fab up a bastard version on the Arbutus or NS rack that'll fit a wider range of bike sizes. Can anyone who has an NS rack try and put a 12" kids bike on it for me and take a pic?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Too much work. You'd have to get it registered, takes up lots of garage space, and will kill your mileage unless you have a diesel.

Also, a word about mileage with the northshore rack

With bikes and rack on at 75-80mph: ~14.5-15.5mpg
No rack at 75-80mpg: 17.5 mpg
Rack and bikes with camper shell: 16.5-17 mpg
My truck, empty doing the speed limit 18-20 mpg.
Roof rack set up over the bed 17-19 mpg
Roof rack + hitch rack 15mpg.

The hitch rack kills my truck for whatever reason.

I am running a diesel.

Trailer kills my mileage worse, depending of course on the trailer, but even a small enclosed that could house 6 bikes would probably drop me down to 13-15 mpg due to the wind resistance. Towing a jeep I am down close to 10 mpg.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I'm in the same boat with needing a rack that holds 6. I need one that'll hold 12" to 26" wheels tho.

Anyone ever put smaller bikes on the NS rack?
I have an NSR-4 and my two kids' 20" MTBs fit fine. I slightly bent the rack cradle forks for a little more clearance with their bikes. And they do mount at a slight angle, but dont interfere with the other bike positions.