Quantcast

6 Month Report - Karate Monkey

Old_Dude

Monkey
Well, today I went out for about a two hour ride and had a blast. The weather was spectacular and I enjoyed myself very much.

I must say, that I am quite surprised to find myself dragging out the SS about 85% now when I go trail riding. I have great geared bikes to select from but the SS is really my best friend.

Honestly, riding this SS for the past six months has really been an enlightening experience. Because I've learned the "SS mentality", I have become a much better roadie, and certainly a much better MTB rider as well. Overall, I believe I enjoy the sport of mountain biking much more as well - it's really a different experience. I wish I'd gotten this bike - or something similar - years ago.

I haven't done anything to mine (except I lost one of the bar end plugs so I removed the other one). I keep the chain clean and tightened properly and the rear brake adjusted every once in a while - that's pretty much it. This bike is truly a "grab-n-go", low maintenance, low weight, comfortable, rolls well, climbs like a billy goat on crack, really fun machine.

After six months of riding, I can honestly say I really love this bike. The combination of steel frame, 29 inch wheels and single speed drivetrain is truly a wonderful combination.

I'm out for 2 1/2 months - any SS races in the Southeast this summer? I'm in.

Happy riding,

O_D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
cool!

I've decided to go SS on my Karate Monkey as well - but I'm keeping my options open up front with a KM fork and a Reba for some squish in case I want it.

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Yep, it's a love-hate relationship with a rigid fork. I prefer 3-4" travel now for sure,but that costs money for a decent fork..
Singlespeeding has kept me in top shape when i did it in 97-01 alot.
Nice post OLD DUDE..

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Nice post Old Dude. My KM is going on its 3rd year of service, and who knows how many miles, and I'm still loving it.

Lately I have been considering selling it to help out with graduation costs, but every time I look at it I realize that I want to have this bike forever. I don't think it will ever be given up.

The Ito