Quantcast

6" rear disk on 2010 Commencal Supreme DH?

broke(n)

Chimp
Mar 20, 2007
I'd like to run a 6" disk on the rear of my '10 Supreme DH. Pretty sure this doesn't work with the standard brake mount.

Has anyone successfully modified the standard mount and/or come across an aftermarket alternative?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I keep all discs 203 so I should I bend a disc (which I seem to do a few times a year) I can take one from a back up wheel if needed.

Last edited:

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
Nope,rear brake mount is 203mm rotor only.
And last I heard Commencal was working on a 180mm brake mount at the Atherton's request,but I don't think anything came of it.

broke(n)

Chimp
Mar 20, 2007
I'd just prefer to run 6" rear as I reckon it makes the front and rear disks "feel" a bit more the same

(and has no one else noticed that basically every other vehicle runs bigger brakes at the front)

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I'd just prefer to run 6" rear as I reckon it makes the front and rear disks "feel" a bit more the same

(and has no one else noticed that basically every other vehicle runs bigger brakes at the front)
Thats because you only have one pedal, a master cylinder and proportioning valve. Your hands do all those duties. Want less rear brake, grab less.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
I've never had a problem locking up my rear wheel, 6", 7", or 8", seems like a valid question. why 8 when 6 will do?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I've never had a problem locking up my rear wheel, 6", 7", or 8", seems like a valid question. why 8 when 6 will do?
overheating for one thing and smaller rotors tends to give you less modulation but more bite which could be either a good or a bad thing if you dont know how to handle it...I think 6 is a bit small for a a full DH setup and 8 is overkill...7 is the magic number here.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
have any of you really overheated a 6" rotor?
I have. On my hardtail. Rode clipped in for the first time, was scared of riding too fast so I dragged brake down a medium sloped high speed section, half way down I had ZERO stopping power. Never rode clips again.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
have any of you really overheated a 6" rotor?

the bike in this video has a 6" rear rotor, and it never fades. if that doesn't do it, you must only ride 4k vert fall line skidders.

Whistler Bike Park From Top To Bottom on Vimeo
not offense bro...but I live in whistler and regardless of the rotor size or even the brand of the brake, when you do a run from the top of Whistler all the way down the village, YOUR ROTORS GET VERY WARM therefore changing the temperature of the brake fluid.

That said, you'd probably never feel the difference riding a trail like Freightrain( cause you hardly brake coming down that trail).On the other hand, if you do a lap down O-Sin/ Goats Gully/In Deep and then something like Whistler DH , you would feel a slight ( or a big if you got ****ty brakes ) difference in your braking power, no matter how good your brakes are...

Not saying it would be horrible brake fade but one with 6"rotors would definitely feel a bigger difference.