Quantcast

60 days later and I'm still F'ing pi$$ed....

A little over two months ago(November 27th to be exact) I was driving home from the hospital. I literally just watched my mother take her last gasp for air and pass away. It was 10pm or something like that. I was pretty teared up as I drove. As i'm going down a very steep hill that was just recently paved(think smooth with no resisitance).

Next thing I know the blue lights are flashing behind me. I pull over and the officer gets to the window - remember I still have tears coming down my face. After asking for my license and registration he says "crying your way out of a ticket only works for women" in a real smart a$$ tone. I told him that I was driving home from the hospital and my Mom just died. He didn't apologize or anything - just walked back to his car. Next thing i know he comes back with a ticket - 52 in a 45. I mean we are in the country - no homes, no businesses, too late at night for any kids anywhere, there is nothing out here. That and i hadn't had a ticket up to that point for about 4-5 years. Then the tosser says ignorance of the law is not an excuse to break it. I started to lose it a little. I said, seven miles over the speed limit coming down the hill - you gotta be kidding me? He started walking back to his car.

I felt myself wanting to get out of the car and get in his face, but i figured i'd either be shot, tazered, or going to jail.

Reason I bring it up now is that I saw him this morning giving someone else a ticket. My anger spiked and as i passed by I blew my horn as he was outside the window of the car he was giving a ticket too. I have a Yukon and the horn is pretty loud - i saw him jump just a little and even though I thought it was a little funny at the moment, I know that cops worry about cars hitting them so it probably was not a cool thing to do. I just really hate that guy for being a jerk - it wasn't the ticket so much, but the attitude.

Just had to vent.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
that's really horrible of the cop to give you a ticket after what you told him and then to be a smart ass about it. so honking your horn and making this d*ck jump is o.k. in my opinon.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
You're gonna get crap for this thread, but I agree with dhmike and Upg8r...

Glad you got some of that out.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Any group is defined by it's worst members. And cops are d!cks.

I would have called his supervisor and asked for a written apology. If no go, ask for his supervisor. He's doing that sh!t because he gets away with it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Any group is defined by it's worst members.
That's awesome logic. Have you ever worked with, seen or even heard of any group of people that didn't qualify as a bunch of jackasses, then?

Technicalities of a speed limit aside, it's pretty lame that he both gave you the ticket and smart-mouthed to you. I'm sure he probably hears a lot of excuses but it's not exactly normal behavior for a guy to be crying before the cop even arrives at the window. For a 7mph violation, it's ridiculous that he wouldn't give you the benefit of the doubt. Definitely a jackass of epic proportions.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
That cop sounds like the typical small dicked, jumped up hall moniter that gives all cops a bad name.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would have called his supervisor and asked for a written apology. If no go, ask for his supervisor. He's doing that sh!t because he gets away with it.
I agree. Make sure you know his supervisor knows what kind of job he is doing. Otherwise, it is just another click on his citation numbers.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
First, I'm sorry for your loss.
Second, my experiences have taught me that there are great cops and horrible cops. I was driving home from the emergency room two years ago after cutting my hand at work real bad. I ended up cutting a tendon in my ring finger in half. No movement at all from 2/3rds my hand and was told to keep my wrist limp (think gay) until I had surgery. I ended up getting pulled over and arrested (I was driving w/ a suspended license, UNKNOWINGLY, but thats a different story) the cop proceded to cuff me behind my back and threw me into the back of the car. I was pleading and in tears begging this dude not to cuff me as it was going to be horrible for my hand. He didn't care and when we were alone he told me some bs like I'm just trying to make it home alive. I simply told him to go to hell and he has a gun for a reason..
Fast forward to when I saw him in court he was wearing a f'n bullet proof vest in court. You gotta love suburban cops...

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I believe Mannimal should be paged.

****"Mannimal to the white courtesy phone...Mannimal, to the white courtesy phone please..."****

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
First, I'm sorry for your loss.
Second, my experiences have taught me that there are great cops and horrible cops. I was driving home from the emergency room two years ago after cutting my hand at work real bad. I ended up cutting a tendon in my ring finger in half. No movement at all from 2/3rds my hand and was told to keep my wrist limp (think gay) until I had surgery. I ended up getting pulled over and arrested (I was driving w/ a suspended license, UNKNOWINGLY, but thats a different story) the cop proceded to cuff me behind my back and threw me into the back of the car. I was pleading and in tears begging this dude not to cuff me as it was going to be horrible for my hand. He didn't care and when we were alone he told me some bs like I'm just trying to make it home alive. I simply told him to go to hell and he has a gun for a reason..
Fast forward to when I saw him in court he was wearing a f'n bullet proof vest in court. You gotta love suburban cops...
One time I was pulled over for doing 45mph through a suburban park when it was 30mph limit. It was Xmas and my father and I just bought a computer for his gift.

I already gotten a ticket in another state driving home, so I was really nervous. The cop was looking for DUI arrests, though, and I remember after asking me what I was doing, my father and I start arguing about the computer we just bought!

The cop gave me a pass and sent us home.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
What you have to understand, is that cops have heard EVERYTHING from "my mom just died" to "I've got a cactus in my anoos" from people trying to get out of a ticket.

For all you know, he could have also had a very bad day (not as bad as you, but you know what I mean) that might have calloused him up a little bit to your comment about your mother.

Sorry for the loss of your mother, man. :-(

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
What you have to understand, is that cops have heard EVERYTHING from "my mom just died" to "I've got a cactus in my anoos" from people trying to get out of a ticket.

For all you know, he could have also had a very bad day (not as bad as you, but you know what I mean) that might have calloused him up a little bit to your comment about your mother.

That's no excuse. If he can't show some compassion, whether he believes it or not, he gets no sympathy from me. It's a sometimes sh*tty job, that he chose to do. You don't hear Manimal whining. I met a soldier the other day that had the best attitude about his job, and he's been deployed 3 times. He knows he chose it, and hates most aspects, but also can find the good. That's what this particular cop needs to do.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Last week my nana passed away (my mother's mother), and on the way to the funeral my parents got stuck on the highway because it was CLOSED DOWN due to an accident that required medi-vac. Needless to say, my mother was beyond freaking out, thinking she was going to miss her own mother's funeral. My brother, his GF and I just happened to take my car and go a different way, and got there no problem, so that was lucky. The whole time I was wondering to myself........if my parents tried to get way over into the breakdown lane (or even off the road) and drove to the next exit to get off, what would a cop do if they got pulled over? After dealing with a few cops, I can easily picture one of them giving them a ticket and holding them up, despite my mother hysterical and in tears, explaining she's just trying to make it to her own mother's funeral.

Don't know if it would have happened, but it's pretty sad knowing that it's a strong possibility. (And luckily they got off and to the funeral, a little late, but they made it before we got to the church)

To Johnnynails, sorry for your loss, and try to put the whole ticket thing behind you.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Sorry for your loss...

Instead of taking it out on the cop by the side of the road, though I would've fought the ticket and showed up at court, probably with a death certificate. Traffic courts are public record, and it would've been well worth the extra $25 to recount the story in front of the judge, the court clerk, other cops, and the 30 or so people waiting for their turn... hell, if judgement goes against you you can ask for trial by jury. the more times to recount the story (in front of the cop in question), the better.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.

To serve and protect...

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
That is totally D!ck of him :plthumbsdown:... I plan on being a cop, and have not quite found an understanding of why a badge and a gun make them feel so "above" everyone else. Sorry for your loss, and way to go makin him jump! He didn't get hurt so it's all laughs, and frankly he deserved it.

Thanks for the sympathy everybody, it is well appreciated. The loss of my mother has been tough on my Dad (married 51 years!!) and on me as well.

I figured everyone would agree that the cop deserved the horn. Like i said the ticket didn't really bother me, but the attitude got me. Like someone else said, the cops here a lot of stories, but how many guys are crying when the cop gets to the window? That and he could have called the hospital and confirmed my story in 12 seconds. he plan old didn't care. I think I'll call and try and talk to his supervisor or something.

Angrymetalsmith - meant to tell you this story at the funeral, but it just slipped my mind.