Quantcast

$60 for a key

vamkie

Chimp
Mar 8, 2006
Went for a spare key for a chevy van
$50 for the key, $10 to program it.
what freaking racket

they say it is for theft protection, more like, so they can rip you off and not the theifs

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Yeah they get you good for those. I know people that always negotiate a spare set into the purchase price of the car.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Electronic keys are a total racket.

My friend paid $175 for a spare key for his Land Rover, my truck key was $1.25 at Home Depot.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
They are expensive. At Ford our dealer cost for the key alone was $16, then lets not forget the tech that is getting a $23-$30 labor rate for the 5-10 minutes it takes to program it.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
My camaro had this stupid VATTS key crap that chevy has. It hasa chip in the key and etc....but yeah they are $45-65 for a single key.

I had found a diagram to wire in a diode with the key's value on it inline with the ignition switch........:) no more VATTS........back to $1.25 keys.

It's stupid because this day and age if a car theif wants it......he can get it just like anything else. The price of keys is retarded.......especially as the car's get more $$$ their keys go WAY up.......I've heard stories of laser cut mercades key's for like $200+ per key! Some keys now too have the clicker (keyless entry) built into the key. So things get smaller and cost more whats new? lol

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Spunger said:
My camaro had this stupid VATTS key crap that chevy has. It hasa chip in the key and etc....but yeah they are $45-65 for a single key.

I had found a diagram to wire in a diode with the key's value on it inline with the ignition switch........:) no more VATTS........back to $1.25 keys.

It's stupid because this day and age if a car theif wants it......he can get it just like anything else. The price of keys is retarded.......especially as the car's get more $$$ their keys go WAY up.......I've heard stories of laser cut mercades key's for like $200+ per key! Some keys now too have the clicker (keyless entry) built into the key. So things get smaller and cost more whats new? lol

You say that, but would you have purchased the car if it didnt have the most current, or at least some kind of protection. I mean any GM car from 1982 and back can be started with a skate key and a strong twist.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
MTB_Rob_NC said:
You say that, but would you have purchased the car if it didnt have the most current, or at least some kind of protection. I mean any GM car from 1982 and back can be started with a skate key and a strong twist.
Hell after changing out the ignition switch on my truck it could be started with a big screwdriver LOL.....

Yes....in the case of the Camaro I would have gotten it anyways. The key thing is just a security thing I know.......and atleast it's on all cars...not just GM so it's a standard now. My Camaro was well into the VATTS stuff but I read plenty of horror stories relating to the earley systems of it. Hence why someone came up with a work around for it.

Hell my mom just got a new GM car last month and it has the same key deal. I don't think this day and age the Key is what is the protection as much as Onstar/Lojack/GPS tracing devices. I'd feel more safe with one of those systems than the key or an alarm. You can call Onstar and have them shut the car down, lock the doors, and that's it until police get there. In the sense of security that key is like.........the first door the crook has to get by and it's usually pretty fast. But without the key the crook (as far as I know of) would have a hard time bypassing the ignition switch.

Though I imagine plenty of new cars still get stolen.......but by any means its far less than they did before the key devices were standard in cars

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I wouldn't buy a car without a chipped key. Most cars are stolen by bored kids who drive it around and **** it up and then dump it. Yes, anything can be stolen, but 14 y/o joyriders don't invest in tools. If you have a Honda in my neighborhood, you better have a club and good insurance.

$100 for a key is a lot cheaper than my deductable.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
A spare key for my Element was $30 each, and I bought two:wonky2: I was shocked at the price, but that's way cheaper than getting my car stolen or calling a locksmith:)

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
buildyourown said:
I wouldn't buy a car without a chipped key. Most cars are stolen by bored kids who drive it around and **** it up and then dump it. Yes, anything can be stolen, but 14 y/o joyriders don't invest in tools. If you have a Honda in my neighborhood, you better have a club and good insurance.

$100 for a key is a lot cheaper than my deductable.

My buddy has a Honda Civic Hatchback..one of the most stolen cars in the US. He has a master fuse that he pulls every time he leaves his car with a spare in his wallet.