Quantcast

6061, bolts and galvanic corrosion

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I was looking for socket head cap screws that could support about 1lb didn't cost that much, and wouldn't cause galvanic corrosion with a plate of 6061 aluminum (that will be tapped).

Right now I'm planning on using aluminum bolts, but I was wondering if there was something cheaper (and not plastic).

Surely someone in the bike industry knows something about this!

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Can you paint or treat the plate you are screwing into? A good seal could drastically reduce your problem here and possibly allow for a conventional fastener to be used.

Another possibility is an aluminum or plastic washer between the screw head and the plate. Just make sure that the threads are sealed off either by the washer or tef-gel like product.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
How severe an environment are we talking about? A SS bolt in 6061 will stand up to anything accept salt spray. A little dielectric grease will help.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
This particular item will be for indoor use only (It's actually for a clock I am designing) so it's not going to be exposed to harsh temperatures or weather. It will be bead-blasted, but no other coating will be applied.

I wanted to ask because if I wanted to design something bike-related in the future, it could be important! I knew about the issue, but up until now, I hadn't really thought about what material/coating my chainring, stem, axle bolts were made of or should be made of.

Last edited:

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
meh...it will corrode eventually...but it'll take a while. I'm sure something else will fail before galvanic corrosion becomes your life limiting factor.

For other stuff. Anodize or even alodine can help.