Quantcast

650 for future freeride and DH bikes

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I was riding in Missoula Montana the other day and I was the only guy on 26" wheels. Everyone was riding 29ers. I saw about 12-15 riders.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I would totally dig it. At 6'4", a 26" just feels small. My 29'er XC bike feels perfect, a 650 would be perfect for trail/dh.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Well, I've changed my tune. I like my 29" wheels and I think a bike's geometry can do a lot to make them not handle like **** (as I've recently experienced). I just don't know if there's any point in making them for DH. I think one of the Athertons suggested there will be an advantage, but once it catches on, everybody will be on them, so what's the point of switching to the new wheel size? Maybe at a non-competition level, but that's what trail riding is...

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Well, I've changed my tune. I like my 29" wheels and I think a bike's geometry can do a lot to make them not handle like **** (as I've recently experienced). I just don't know if there's any point in making them for DH. I think one of the Athertons suggested there will be an advantage, but once it catches on, everybody will be on them, so what's the point of switching to the new wheel size? Maybe at a non-competition level, but that's what trail riding is...
IMO, Shorter stays. Really important. More travel, also really important. Less gyroscopic effect, stiffer, stronger. 27.5 is far superior to 29". 29" is just too big and kooky. Maybe a mash up will become the norm, but doubt it.
But most of all
FUN!

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
IMO, Shorter stays. Really important. More travel, also really important. Less gyroscopic effect, stiffer, stronger. 27.5 is far superior to 29".
You know what will allow for even more of those things: a 26" wheel!
But wait, a 24" wheel will allow even shorter stays, more travel, less gyroscopic effect and will be even stiffer and stronger, so much better!
But hey, what if we used 22" or 20" wheels...

The wheel size will always be a trade-off, there is not one optimum size as different bikes and different riders demand different things.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
You know what will allow for even more of those things: a 26" wheel!
But wait, a 24" wheel will allow even shorter stays, more travel, less gyroscopic effect and will be even stiffer and stronger, so much better!
But hey, what if we used 22" or 20" wheels...

The wheel size will always be a trade-off, there is not one optimum size as different bikes and different riders demand different things.
27.5 should roll over stuff better.
24" although stronger/stiffer, I found the spokes come loose easier due to less length for elasticity, but I could well be tripping/wrong.
With a rearward axle path and 27.5 wheels, the stays should be plenty short enough. I'd say they could get them sub 17" easy. Not so easy/possible with 29".
Horses for courses yes, but thee is always a more advantageous solution. I think 27.5 might have the edge but I'm probably not considering some factor.
26" will always be the most fun, but I'd say 27.5 would be faster.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't think it would be a problem to keep a chainstay length of 17.6" or so with a more vertical axle path, achievable with some of the dual link designs. A high pivot bike kind of neutralizes the effects of a short chainstay anyways. BCD got sub 16.5 with his abomination, but that was some heavy custom work with zero mud clearance at top out.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I fully intend to try a 650b wheelset on my DH bike as soon as the MegaMoto tires come out. Stay tuned.