Quantcast

650b coming sooner than we think?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I for one am stocking up on guns and gold. SKY IS FALLING!
Funny you should say that. When Obama first took office gun advocates were in a panic that Barry was going to take away their guns, When in fact Barry didn't do anything with current gun laws and his first term saw the most gun sales over any presidency.

Soooo...maybe the 650b craze is just a ploy to get us to run out and buy up all the 26" products while we can. I'm putting this back on now :tinfoil:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
If the smarphone industry was run like the bicycle industry:

4" 16x9 smartphones would be the standard, across HTC, Samsung, LG and Motorolla because 5 years ago someone had a bunch of spare 4" screens and decided to incorporate an entire standard around it. 5 years later everyone's still using the same size product from the same dozen different vendors, and no one wanted to change since they weren't prepared to sink the money into development.

Motorolla decides to put out a new "standard", of 4.25" and gets buy-in from a handful of the smaller companies making screens/cases and motherboards (each made by a different company, of course). Huge loss-leader for the screen, case and motherboard companies, some go out of business. 4.25" standard doesn't catch on.

Samsung decides that people seemed to like the larger screen, so they approach the largest screen, case and motherboard factories about a new "standard", 4.8". Factories ask "how many will you buy", and Samsung replies: 10,000. "Not enough", the factories reply, "mold and development costs will be too high".

Samsung decides to approach LG, HTC and Motorolla and says "hey look, we want to come out with a new 4.8" standard for smartphones, but don't have the sheer volume to make it happen. We'll commit to 10,000 units, and if you 3 combined can commit to 10,000 units then we can proceed". HTC and LG agree, but Motorolla says "no" since they were the ones who pioneered the larger screen and they're going to stick with their 4.25" even if it costs consumers more money.

The new 4.8" standard comes about, but since so much cost is spent on development and mold fees, there really can only be one design for the screen, case and motherboard. All of the phones from HTC, Samsung and LG all look identical (same case), and have the same size screen (4.8") and mother board, and only pick and choose a few different specifications within each phone. Samsung chooses a 1080p screen and weaker processor, while HTC chooses a 720p screen and faster processor. Small adjustments, but in reality all of the phones are basically identical.

And the phones sell for $4,000 apiece.

(Apple was busy paying off all of the mold and development costs for their previous 3.5" design, and wanted nothing to do with this "Over Size" standard. However, since it became apparent that they were losing sales, they were forced to borrow HUGE amounts of money in order to come up with cash for tooling the newer design. 6 months later they sold 51% of their company to the factory in China that was assembling their phones...............)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You guys keep dissing 24" wheels like they're NOT better in a lot of places. Think of how fast you could accelerate over all those pumpy bumps at a place like sandy ridge outside of portland or on ninja cougar/fade to black type stuff.

24" wheels weren't a bad idea because they always sucked everywhere. They were a bad idea because they were on karpiel armageddons with 69 degree headangles, 19" bottom brackets and 5.0 marshmellow tires :rofl:

Last edited:

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
You guys keep dissing 24" wheels like they're NOT better in a lot of places. Think of how fast you could accelerate over all those pumpy bumps at a place like sandy ridge outside of portland or on ninja cougar/fade to black type stuff.

24" wheels weren't a bad idea because they always sucked everywhere. They were a bad idea because they were on karpiel armageddons with 69 degree headangles, 19" bottom brackets and 5.0 marshmellow tires :rofl:
Why doesn't your dj bike roll on 24"? They make jump bikes for that size right?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Why doesn't your dj bike roll on 24"? They make jump bikes for that size right?
Would it offend you to know that my next dirtjumper.......a 24" wheeled bike is on order right now? And that this will be my SECOND 24" wheeled dirtjumper?

I'm still keeping a 26" dirtjumper though. There's no beating it when it's time for monster trails. But monster trails are few and far between.

Last edited:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Man people are all worked up in here. 650b won't kill 26", 26" will lose some market share and not as many rims and tires will be developed. The tooling and molds aren't going to be smelted.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
650b won't kill 26"
Like hacktastic my boxxer brother and I keep saying: bicycle retailer sez otherwise

That's the only reason any of us give a shlt. I'm personally really stoked on 29ers. Every time I see one at the trailhead, I know 5 minutes after that guy looks at us and RUSHES to get climbing before we do, I'll be looking at some hot spandex man ass in no time while I say 'mind if I get by?'

29ers have reignited my interest in man ass. It's like right in my face now.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Kinda funny you are so vehemently anti-big wheels, when you choose to ride 26" and 24" for jumps, when 20" is clearly the choice of the most skilled riders......

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's actually a good point.

What's the effect on gear inches in a gearbox zerode with 650 wheels?
will a zerode right lighter with 650b wheels? what's the relative yaw angle for a 650b laden zerode assuming a 62.347* head angle and 104lb rider? what's the percent tacticality of anti-squat of a 650b wheel as compared to a 26"? What's the max tacticality?

I need to know, otherwise there won't be one for freeriding.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
will a zerode right lighter with 650b wheels? what's the relative yaw angle for a 650b laden zerode assuming a 62.347* head angle and 104lb rider? what's the percent tacticality of anti-squat of a 650b wheel as compared to a 26"? What's the max tacticality?

I need to know, otherwise there won't be one for freeriding.
Dude, make an actual degree sign. Alt+0176

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Kinda funny you are so vehemently anti-big wheels, when you choose to ride 26" and 24" for jumps, when 20" is clearly the choice of the most skilled riders......
Couple things:

1. U-brakes are for the poor souls who have never ridden a hydraulic disc. It would be like living in the PNW and drinking folgers. I really would have a 20" if I could get a good brake on it. I could live with Vs but most of those are pinner little race frames.

2. Big wheels carry better on really big dirtjumps where 20s are NOT necessarily the 'better' choice.

3. I do in fact ride bigger wheels because I suck worse than chase hawk and nyquist. This is shocking news I know. But with hardtails like with trail bikes your dad rides 29ers because he sucks worse than you. So yep.......they're a crutch. You should have seen the round table meeting at ATs showdown a few weeks ago. Everyone got together and shared their feelings about being so woefully inadequate on bigger wheels. There were some tears, some hugs........but I think we all came away more comfortable with who we are. Then the top three guys threw down runs that would have made anyone at the dew tour break down in a seizure and everyone quit giving a shlt. :D

edit: oh yeah....

4. bmx bikes are for poor people

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
26" wheels are more fun than 29" wheels for the kind of riding I like to do. I'm the guy hitting every little rock or stump, pumping when others pedal, etc. But some people don't care about anything other than getting up or down the trail as fast as they can. Saying those folks are using 29" wheels as a crutch isn't really fair. It sounds a lot like curmudgeons who call suspension bikes a crutch when hardtails work just fine. If people can go faster and don't care about anything else, let them have their fun.

I also don't subscribe to the idea that people should ride hardtails to learn how to ride before they get on a springy bike.

The only valid concern here is whether the coming onslaught of tweener bikes will limit choice for 26" parts. I think it's a little premature to worry about it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
29ers: how to go faster without actually getting faster
just like how wider bars and shorter stems instantly make you a better rider, instead of just learning how to steer with a longer stem and narrow bars...right?

The concept of limiting yourself to ****ty components because only people who want to have an easier time and go faster use other ones is simply idiotic.

Last edited:

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
But with hardtails like with trail bikes your dad rides 29ers because he sucks worse than you. So yep.......they're a crutch.
I currently own a 20" bmx, a 26" DH, and a 29" am ht, and a 26" klunker!

First giner I tried was a Larry Fishburne, 10 years ago, and thought they were hella lame, and hated on big wheels forever. But after several of my friends, who are super skilled, well rounded riders, who kill it on little bikes & big bikes, made the switch to the giner and sung their praises, I gave a new school giner a try. My HT has 68* head angle, low 12.2" bb, and short 16.5" CS. It shreds. Gives up some in super tight berms, and not quite as poppy, but for everything else, it slays. There is no way I would go back to 26" for a hardtail. I am 6'2", and think bigger wheels are better suited to bigger people...

I cracked my DH bike, and have not yet sorted out a new frame, so I have been riding my hybrid on big bike trails for the last couple months. At this point, I have ridden every gnardog DH/FR line in Whatcom County on the hybrid, save for two....

I can honestly say, I have never owned as versatile bike.

little wheels have their pros and cons, as do big wheels. One size is not "better" than another. It's about picking the one that suits your riding style.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I currently own a 20" bmx, a 26" DH, and a 29" am ht, and a 26" klunker!

First giner I tried was a Larry Fishburne, 10 years ago, and thought they were hella lame, and hated on big wheels forever. But after several of my friends, who are super skilled, well rounded riders, who kill it on little bikes & big bikes, made the switch to the giner and sung their praises, I gave a new school giner a try. My HT has 68* head angle, low 12.2" bb, and short 16.5" CS. It shreds. Gives up some in super tight berms, and not quite as poppy, but for everything else, it slays. There is no way I would go back to 26" for a hardtail. I am 6'2", and think bigger wheels are better suited to bigger people...

I cracked my DH bike, and have not yet sorted out a new frame, so I have been riding my hybrid on big bike trails for the last couple months. At this point, I have ridden every gnardog DH/FR line in Whatcom County on the hybrid, save for two....

I can honestly say, I have never owned as versatile bike.

little wheels have their pros and cons, as do big wheels. One size is not "better" than another. It's about picking the one that suits your riding style.
giner? as in gynecologist? i'd probably wanna get checked out too if i started thinking road wheels on a mountain bike were a good idea.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
My 29er hating days are not so far behind me.... still have to call them "giners" or "hybrids". Pretty dialed giner, all it needs is a suspension seatpost, adjustable stem, ergo grips and junksaver seat.

We are only on 26" because that's what Schwinn beach cruisers used....

For the record, I think the 650b push is 100% about selling new bikes to people that already own good bikes... The companies who are pushing 650b hard, are the ones who were late to the 29er party.

Last edited:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
How do you figure that? It seems pretty overwhelming from the interweb rumors in this thread that they intend to DO AWAY with 26"....how is that giving consumers more options? When my 26" frame or fork breaks, will I be able to get a 26" replacement? Or will I be forced to get a 650b frame....and then have to get 650b wheels.....which will require a 650b fork...
First of all, CrabJoe StretchPants has to be the most badass handle I've ever seen in my life.

But to your question, if you read the second sentence of my post, you have your answer:
Whether right or wrong, we get many more inquiries about when/if we'll do a 650B bike than anything to do with 26ers.

As for options, I agree that if 26ers go away, all of our options will be narrowed. Unfortunately, my company is like many others in that we have a limited amount of resources and need to sell bikes that we think people will buy. Switching tooling over to make new frames and swingarms that can accommodate the larger wheel size and adjust the angles of the bike is a gigantic and expensive pain in the ass, but based on the feedback and requests we get from our customers, that is what people want.

If we're only making 27.5's in a couple years and someone else is making a bunch of 26ers that you love, vote with your wallet. I guarantee that if enough people reject 650B and demand 26ers, the 650B craze will disappear a lot faster than that it has arrived.

As for me, Long Live 26ers! (And 8-speed. And Grip Shift.)

JP