Quantcast

661 integrated chest protector & neck brace

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
So anybody heard a word about this thing? Yeah, I know it's an old, old thread...but now that Leatt's are so huge...it becomes more interesting again.

Update:

Seems it's not a pipe dream. It's real and for sale.

http://www.btosports.com/p/661DROID

Also, the new Alpinestars 2010 bionic in a non-carbon version is WAY cheap. But it doesn't say anything about an adjustable rear shelf...just something about adjustable shoulder height for people with no neck???? For $289, it sounds awesome!

http://www.btosports.com/p/ASTARS10BNSSB

So if the Alpinestars is adjustable at a similar price to the Leatt Adventure brace, is it a better buy?

Last edited:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I am not a huge fan of the armor on the outside of the jersey but the 661 suit actually has a good look to it. I would run it if I didn't already have the leatt.

Good to see that more and more companies are making a worthwhile product. Let's just hope that they have safety as their top priority rather than just the normal dollar sign.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
The 661, while they make great products, looks WAY too bulky for my taste.

I'm wondering if the 661 will be marketed as a Moto product, or a MTB product. That could dictate whether or not it has any adjustability to it.

The Alpine starts looks nice as well, but again, without an adjustable shelf, who cares? It's virtually useless for DH.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
nice good to see this stuff, my leatte and knee pads are the only thing i wear at this point...wont ride without it...

maybe this will drive prices down a bit, i wonder about fit on the integrated one, the neck brace is a very picky fit, and so when you add the body portion of it there are so many combinations of body type you could have i think designing the proper fit might be a challenge, we will see.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I love my Leatt. Saved my bacon last Saturday when I endo'd off a booter. Landed squarely on my face/head, felt my neck compress. But the Leatt did its job and I walked away with a few sore muscles instead of what would have been a broken neck.

The 661 does look a bit bulky to me...but I'm glad to see that other products are on the market, the biggest hurdle that people seem to have with the Leatt is the price...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001

The Alpine starts looks nice as well, but again, without an adjustable shelf, who cares? It's virtually useless for DH.
If you read the description of the Alpinestars Bionic "SB", it indicates there is some form of adjustment in regards to people with different "length" necks. Also, it comes in THREE sizes as opposed to 2 from Leatt. Not saying it's better, but it would be nice if someone from Pinkbike, Ridemonkey, VitalMTB, etc get them to demonstrate it on a video or explain it in caveman terms.

I'm assuming that if you can raise and lower it for shorter or longer necks, then for DH you'd set if for no-neck height?

Oh, and as a side note, the 2010 661 Core Saver has the top 3 spine pieces removable to accomadate a neck brace:

Last edited:

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Look sweet

Looks like they have worked really hard on integrating the neck brace with the armor. Also they have done a great job on the graphical side too!!

I wold defo rock that!

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
Oh, and as a side note, the 2010 661 Core Saver has the top 3 spine pieces removable to accomadate a neck brace:

[.IMG]http://www.sixsixone.com/media/store/style/10CORE_1.jpg[/IMG]

[.IMG]http://www.sixsixone.com/media/store/style/10CORE_2.jpg[/IMG]
The 09 has removeable plates too, so no need to wait til 2010.

Steam007

Chimp
Jul 2, 2008
... Also, it comes in THREE sizes as opposed to 2 from Leatt.
while the leatt only has two sizes, there are four different size pieces they call "pins" that bolt into the back section and receive the clamp from the front section, plus different wedges and shims for the vertical rear thoracic piece. it has a large range of adjustability.

The only adjustment on the Alpinestars are the shoulder inserts that add height. With that being said there are 4 sizes instead of 2 but I think you should try one on if you have that chance and with the price of the new non carbon they should be available to check out at most moto shops. I have the carbon with a Fox V3 moto helmet and there are no issues. It, to me will work great for downhill because of the slimmer profile over the leatt. I am in no way form or fashion saying the leatt is rubbish just this is another great option.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I watched the Alpinestars video on their site about the pads and that helps explain it alot. Now...if only this tiny little part of Appalachia had a moto dealer with Leatt and Alpinestars braces in stock....yeah...right.

dagmz6s

Monkey
Jan 12, 2008
Merion, PA
if you watch the videos, the 2nd in particular, it looks like the Alpinestars neck support has a very high range of motion. without seeing a static picture compared to a leatt I cant say definitively, but from the pics I have seen of leatt's with people going through range of motion the alpinestars seems to win.

I watched the Alpinestars video on their site about the pads and that helps explain it alot. Now...if only this tiny little part of Appalachia had a moto dealer with Leatt and Alpinestars braces in stock....yeah...right.
Once the cheaper verison is out of the Alpinestars you should. I dont know if there is a cyclegear where you live but I know they have others in stock and I am sure they would have the new non carbon at the price it is going to come in at.

warriorsxc

Chimp
Nov 8, 2006
I regret to inform you that the Droid program is on hold for production reasons/issues until further notice. It will not be released for the time frame previously stated and unfortunately at this time I can not give you an updated time of release. - Steve Schoen at 661

This sucks....I was stoked on getting one

brooklyndon

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Well i tryed to order one and 661 said they are not making this for this year seems like the testing didnt go so good. damit

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Why do these posts re Neck braces bring out so much mis information.

Please try on by a someone who's been given the training to set these up, yeah it sounds simple and it is but people are stupid. I would not buy an neck brace untried first online blind is just asking for trouble.

Good to see 661 for whatever reasons aren't rushing this to market, there's a lot more to this area than what people give credit for.

Not all braces are created equal, and that's something people should judge by themselves when choosing, that said it amazes me the mis-information and mis- understanding people have with what's available presently.

Its 2 simplistic to say for example that the Leatt Brace have only two sizes [ in actual fact you could argue there's at least 6 in the Moto GPX and up!

Not taking into account the front member adjustment and thoracic rear that also has too plates supplied to give a great range.

So adjustable wise there's as much as anything out there if not more def a lot mor than people here understand or perceive!

When comparing you have compare what you are comparing, The Leatt brace is designed to protect in the event of almost all situations that a rider might come in contact with, the fact Leatt's background and personally is in the neck and spinal injuries prior to making a brace is one major reason and also was an avid moto rider on top of that is why I have a Leatt myself, I'm huge AP fan.

Jury is still out for me on the SP BNS, there philosophy to date on the neck brace has not yet convinced me its the right one for me.

The biggest problem is that Helmet makers especially in MTB versions have not yet caught up and have sat back, the Leatt for example has been available fort 4-5 years now.

Though not a TLD fan boi least they have made an effort with the TLD D3 maybe that will push others to catch up. To me that is the responsibility of the Helmet manufacturer to keep step, not the neck brace manufacturer to make something work with Helmets that are are not current or have been sitting on helmet designs that have not changed for years with technology or have progressed other than materials like carbon.

Mine came with 3 different spacers small med and large, I have fond the medium work wel for me with the adjustments fore and aft @ the thoracic for me and I'm not small this was also the setup the Leatt trained dealer setup for me.

The spacer sit in between the clamp mech and are fixed there easily removed,
pull the padding back [velcro] and they are easily accessed the adventure has these as well, just not the fore and aft adj and thoracic adj.

No I'm not a Leatt dealer either but after having a neck injury, I'm passionate about others being well protected or a least well aware.

Main veiw top

3 sets of spacers, shown small, large and additional thoracic member

Location of above spacers,

Thoracic member adj, 3 pos and also a second member @ a 17deg angle to fit funny shaped backs or a smaller person

Last edited: