Quantcast

661 launch shoes w/ mallet pedals ???'s

heggenes

Chimp
Feb 23, 2002
Just purchased some launch shoes and mallet pedals and I can't get the clips to engage. I've tried putting both shims under the cleat, and cutting away some of the sole, but it's still a struggle. Anybody out there using this set up with any suggestions to make it work well, would be appreciated. Thanks,
Jason

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Those are the red/black shoes??? I use that combo and really didnt have any issues. One cleat i had to use one shim on, but otherwise entry and exit was fine. The only problem i found is the cleat sticks past the rubber of the shoe and grinds on the pavement/rocks when i walk. It eventually wore the front of the cleat so bad i couldnt get in and stay in, but once i replaced the cleats im back to normal.

I dont know why you'd be having this issue. Are you sure the cleat is centered in the recess? and not hitting in the front or back, likewise side to side? I know the orientation of the cleat changes the amount of float/exit, but didnt think it would make it harder to get in than the normal setting. (there are 2 ways to install cleats) Normal is the cleat with the 2 dots on the right foot.

Call CB. they have provided me great CS in the past!

heggenes

Chimp
Feb 23, 2002
I'll call CB. I've used the egg beater set up on my xc rig with no issues. The problem I'm having is the cleats are not extending enough beyond the sole to engage ( even with both shims) ?

Thanks, Jason

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
heggenes said:
I'll call CB. I've used the egg beater set up on my xc rig with no issues. The problem I'm having is the cleats are not extending enough beyond the sole to engage ( even with both shims) ?

Thanks, Jason
Thats definatly strange. I cant say i have any issues with that exact same setup....... Good luck.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
make sure you clear out a bunch to the front and a TON to the rear...of the cleat. The Launch has a very deep recess and to get them working clean on my Shimano 646's I had to ramp out the sole well over an inch to the front and rear of the cleat about 3/4 inch wide. Look at how XC shoes don't have ANY sole for about 2 inches minimum to the front and back of the cleat.

Also you may want to center the cleat at the exact center of the arch on the ball of the foot. That way when you are sticking your foot out the front of the cleat is not flush with the sole but sort of arced out away from it! My personal feeling is that spacers aren't the issue for the most part...it's how much tread is fore and aft of the cleat tips.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
this is why you use clipless shoes on clipless pedals and the launches with flats. get flats and forget the clipless if your dead set on them get a pair of shoes that you know will fit this will solve all your probs lol. i just dont like clips. :thumb:

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
me89 said:
this is why you use clipless shoes on clipless pedals and the launches with flats. get flats and forget the clipless if your dead set on them get a pair of shoes that you know will fit this will solve all your probs lol. i just dont like clips. :thumb:

:stupid: that guy runs flats on his XC bike that he'll never ride again because of his new DH bike :oink: