Quantcast

661 shoes

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I've had 2 pairs of 661's, and both fell apart after 3 months of riding too. I've had the 5 10's since last summer and they are still going strong. I should have just gotten the 5 10's to begin with and saved myself the hassle...

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
sounds like a no go, ive only heard good things about 5.10's

They are freakin leagues apart, you can't compare 5.10's to any other flat shoe, their grip is unbelievable. I've known several people who have had trouble riding flat pedals after riding clips but once they were on 5.10's they were converted. I don't think I could go back to riding a skate-style shoe like the 661

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
5.10s are the best shoes for biking bar none, IMO. They have a protective toe, good shock absorbtion, good fit, and a single sided tongue, on top of the sticky sole. They're designed for riding, not for skating and looking cool.

If the all black doesn't fly, they have a couple new ones coming out, plus you can spend twice the price to get some white (which will promptly turn brown) and an M logo on them.

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT
first weekend out on my sixsixones I crash hard and tehy pretty much fell apart instantly. They are def made by little children in laos.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
though i get the 661 from the shop i ride for, for reaaaaaaaaally cheap...they only last like 2 weeks of riding and are the most uncomfortable shoes ever. get 5-10's.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it seems to me like all 661s products are made of cheese and hair. I had a pair of knee pads that failed me when I needed them most, and I keep hearing about how bad the cedric gloves are. I want to buy a pro pressure suit, but I really don't want to support that company.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
In my experience their stuff is hit or miss. I have had good luck with the Raji gloves and their socks, but the Taki shoes were pretty bad and the Tomcat knee guards tore rather quickly.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I think the 661 stuff is slowly getting to be higher quality. The new products seem to be much better in construction and materials. My 06 session SPDs are holdig up nicely, much better than my oakleys did. I was told they licensed the rubber from a climbing shoe company, so the new stuff should be much tackier than the old stuff, probably on par with the 5.10s.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I have had good luck with most of the 661 stuff I'd tried - my pro pressure suit, a couple full face helmets, a snowboard helmet and many pairs of gloves have all worked great. Some of the knee/ elbow pads could use a little work to fit correctly, but they held up just fine. I did tear an eyelet out the taki hightops, but I'll give the new shoes a spin anyway.

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
i have a pair of 661 shoes that I've owned for at least 4 year. The soles are pretty worn but they certainly didn't fall apart. If your shoes fell apart after 3 months why don't you warranty them.

motoxracer13

Chimp
Jun 11, 2006
5.10's for sure, not only do they give you awesome grip on your pedals they pretty much never slip out when your hiking up the hill too

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
ya, if you have a product that seems to be "falling apart" give them a call and discuss it. Personally, I haven't had one product from 661 fall apart or tear prematurely. That includes ankle braces/wrist braces/knee pads/elbow pads/gloves etc...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I have always good luck with 661 products, but I have seen their products really improve in the last couple of years.
Having owned their old black and yellow pressure suit compared to the new grey pro pressure suit, the quality difference is night and day.
And those Kyle Strait knee pads are one of the best products ever.
I have been using their SPD skate soled shoes for years, and they have held up fine.
I have never tried their sticky shoes though, and can't compare to them to 5.10.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Post up when you get a ride on them. They look real nice.
I just remembered this thread for some reason.

My I've ridden with my LaSportiva's twice now, on pretty beaten Kona Jacksh!t pedals, and I like 'em. My feet have only ever come off when I get bucked, but that's more of a suspension issue.

The shoes are great. For $50 CAN, I say they're a good contender for sticky flat pedal shoes.

ETBW

Chimp
May 29, 2007
Dobbs Ferry, NY
5.10's are the way to go. I just recently got the limited edition Sam Hill five tens. They are very nice. The sixsixone's are pretty good but I think the 5.10's defenitely hold up to more abuse. They are worth the money.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I have a pair of 5-10's and just got a cheap as hell pair of the 661 supert takis (slightly used, from a team mate) - I haven't tried the 661's yet, so I am curious about their longevity. The only downside to old 5-10's, like the pair I own, is that they hold water like a sponge.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I'd go with the Dually Takis instead, Steezy. I have an older pair of Launches, but I like the extra ankle support and protection of the mid-high Dually. The Taki version is sticky enough for me without being the climbing-shoe sticky of the 5.10s (plus, I've heard from users that the 5.10s are so soft they wear quickly).

I've never had a longevity issue with 661 shoes. I've beat the crap out of my Launches and still use them for casual trail-riding. My only advice with any lace-up shoe is to get Yanx or Snug-Lok laces so the bike doesn't eat them.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
The only downside to old 5-10's, like the pair I own, is that they hold water like a sponge.
This is true, that's why I have two pair...... I think you need a ski boot dryer to get them ready after a rain day...

but my 661's feel like flip flops compared to my 5-10's.....

J

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
This is true, that's why I have two pair...... I think you need a ski boot dryer to get them ready after a rain day...

but my 661's feel like flip flops compared to my 5-10's.....

J
That's why I snagged the 661's- use them for practice on Sat and save the 5-10's to be nice and dry for race day on Sunday.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
I'd go with the Dually Takis instead, Steezy. I have an older pair of Launches, but I like the extra ankle support and protection of the mid-high Dually. The Taki version is sticky enough for me without being the climbing-shoe sticky of the 5.10s (plus, I've heard from users that the 5.10s are so soft they wear quickly).

I've never had a longevity issue with 661 shoes. I've beat the crap out of my Launches and still use them for casual trail-riding. My only advice with any lace-up shoe is to get Yanx or Snug-Lok laces so the bike doesn't eat them.
he already got the 5.10's. He wears them everywhere.