Quantcast

66rc........who's got one?

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
just picked up a 66rc to replace the dropofftriple on my stinky. who has one that can give me advice on setups, what they like and dislike about it... its alotta dough for something bought in the dark, but ive read reviews (mtbr) and couldnt really find any negative vibe...... thanx!

crapacity

Chimp
Jul 20, 2005
Its too tall, but if you can deal with the rake, the rest of it is awsome. When I first got mine, I put just a little air in it to get it to feel right, but I have since stopped preloading the air spring. Its bottoming resistance is good enough that I run it softer than I usually do. Otherwise, I started with 15 clicks on each dial, and tuned from there. There are 30 total clicks each. Hope it helps, have fun.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I have a 66r that I've been really impressed with.

I found that using the air preload made the fork too progressive and I wouldn't get all the travel. With no air, it feels almost identical to my 888rc.

Other than the height issue, it's an absolutely awesome fork. FYI: the '06 models have new lowers that drop it by 25mm.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I have the rc for my old 2002 bighit comp. The height of the fork was a real bonus as the old bighit is pretty steep in the HA. I am a heavy ass and put 10psi 15 click of rebound and a touch of compression. Oh and I have the 2005 rc.

Really stiff, signifigant improvement over my slider in both stiffness and feel.

MDBullit

Monkey
Sep 8, 2004
Bethesda, MD
I use an 05 RC 170MM on my MC Shockwave 9.5. It's a nice fork, just make sure you run little or no air pressure. I put about 10psi in on my first ride and used maybe 4" of the travel. It's nice with no air pressure. other than that, very impressed by the stiffness. I came from a Shiver DC.

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
It's a great awesome fork..
I have maybe a pump in each side for preload.apx 4psi ?
Clickers work great.Doesn't bottom & just feels awesome..
no complaints & i LOVE the long axle to crown..Where i ride it's a bonus to be slacked out & NOT have the back end bouncing around..
I would put on a Shiver & gain 20mm more travel,but i hate bleeding the air from the little itsy bitty screw bleeders..

MRP system-2 installed now..Can't upload new pics-site STILL screwed up !

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Great fork, but it made my small bullit way too raked out. I'm 5'5" so I need the front end way down there. I ended up selling my 05 to a friend and I'm waiting for the newer, lower 06's to come out.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
fattyfat1 said:
just picked up a 66rc to replace the dropofftriple on my stinky. who has one that can give me advice on setups, what they like and dislike about it... its alotta dough for something bought in the dark, but ive read reviews (mtbr) and couldnt really find any negative vibe...... thanx!
One of my fellow riders Alex (escapeartist) runs one on his Bighit. Shoot him a PM, he can probably give you some guidance.

Verno

Chimp
Mar 7, 2005
Illinois
I have an '05, 7" RC on my Bullit and yeah it's really raked out. I didn't think I'd like it so tall up front but I do. It's a handful to trail ride but I love it on the jumps and stunts.

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
I just bought one ('05) from JensonUSA for $495. :eek: I can't believe I got it this cheap. I have a question though, will it feel much more raked out than the Drop Off Triple that comes with the Stinky? They're both 170mm.:think:

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
way more raked out! not quite floppy, but a huge difference from what your drop off is. i just put mine on a 04 stinky and it has the geometry of a full blown downhill bike.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
Whaddup homey? I was down in post last weekend. Missed ya out there. So it's way bad? I'm in the process of trading my Shiver for an 66. Do you think it is good or bad? Have you rode it yet?

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
wood-dog said:
has anyone ever seen one break?
I'm in the process of getting a bent steerer tube fixed on mine. It was a fun fork until it crapped out on me. It didn't damage my frame at all [:confused:], but the fork is dead. Maybe I can swing a crash replacement for a Roco discount. I'm not the only one who's done this, either. There's a guy who lives near me who bent his steerer tube, too.

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
get one large! its like having a single crown 888. as far as bending the steerer, i dont come up short on 30 foot gaps, not because i'm so good, but because i don't jump 30 foot gaps! biggest drops i've ever done are 8-10' at post canyon, and they all have perfect trannies. this fork is perfect for the type of riding we do.

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
no, not really. i'll tell ya this though. probably the easiest fork to set up ever. took it out of the box, mounted it on my bike, cycled it a couple of times, took everyones advice from this thread, put about 5 psi. in each leg, compression one click from soft, rebound at about half, and its perfect. sags 1/3 of travel, has great small bump sensitivity,plush travel, and ramps up beautifully in the last 1in. for big hits and drops. couldn't be happier. super stiff, "feels" stouter than my shiver, although it is not. my advice is to get one. if you've seen nwd 6, robbie b. is hucking a 66rc red bull style in his sequence, going freakin' HUGE on that fork. he may be a smaller rider but his 45' airs put it through its paces. our little post canyon trips taint gonna hurt it! good to hear from ya, next time you come all that way to ride post you better call me or i'll sick mikey on ya!

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I had a chance to ride a buddies Triple 8 and loved the plushness. The Shiver is a great fork but the dampening on the 66Rc and 888 is a step above. I'm stoked for sure.

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Get it. I just tossed one on my '06 Stinky and I absolutely love it. I rode for about 3 hrs today and it took everything without an issue. Go for it. (Of course, I cower at a 6" drop, but still...)

Edit: I'm a tub sliding down the hill too - with a hefty beer gut. (I weigh in at 195)

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
jimmies like a little guy large! i'm 6'2' 235lbs. i think you're right up there w/ me, arent' you? try a 10' drop w/a combined weight of nearly 300lbs. bike and rider. goddamn it hurts to crash when youre big and old!