Quantcast

7 speed upgrade?

joser42

Chimp
Apr 12, 2005
Florida
I'm looking at upgrading my 7 speed stx shimano drivedrain (tired of poor shifting) but am running into problems finding options. Can someone reccomend a good 7 speed deraileur that will shift well or should I dump the old 7 speed and upgrade to a 9 speed? I've read good things about the sram x.7. Any experiences with that system? I am looking at getting new wheels already so a new rear is already in the plan so getting a 8-9 speed hub is not a problem.
Thanks

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'd say upgrade. The new 7-spd components you'll find on the market are designed for casual use and really wouldn't hold up too well if you're taking it offroad (IMHO). You can get some great deals right now on 8-spd components, but even 8 is getting harder to find. At the very least, get the 8/9 rear wheel. If you decide to stick with 7 you can always throw a spacer on the hub and upgrade to 8 or 9 later.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Yeah you can just get the new hub and still use a 7speed cassette with some spacers, also you can use a 9 sp derailleur as long as you adjust the limit screws (at least in theory I cant attest to how well it works)...the only thing is the chain, 9spd chains are narrower so I don't think your old 7spd chain would work. I'd actually probably just try and get some 8spd parts if you arent looking to drop cash they are pretty cheap now if you can find em.

CunningStunt

Chimp
Mar 9, 2005
Orange County, CA
Is your frame chromoly (steel) or aluminum? The rear spacing on a 7 speed bike is smaller than a 8/9/10 speed bike. You can massage a 9 speed wheel on a steel bike but aluminum is less forgiving though still workable.

splat

Nam I am
I HAve 2 Bikes that are still 7 Speed , I have no plans to upgrade them
1) the rear spacing forthe hub is too small to handle a 8/9 speed
2) 9 Speed derailues work FIne with 7 speed Cassttes /Chains
3) I actually find my 7/8 speed drive trains live a lot longer than my 9 speeds
4) 7/8 speed chain is stronger than a 9 speed chain
5) It works ! why Change it for the sake of changing !

Bikebro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
Any bike that came with 7 spd STX is probably 135mm spaced so a new wheel shouldn't be an issue. Its still pretty easy to find 7 spd cassettes but they are all low end types. A Deore 9 spd der should cost under or around $30 at a shop and will work fine. Not sure why you wouldn't just get a new bike unless its a great frame like an old Bontrager or Fat.