Quantcast

7 Summits of Rossland

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
This past week Mr.Amy and myself hit the road to go visit a friend who not too long ago moved to Rossland, BC. Lucky us to have a friend in such a location (who is even nice enough to shuttle us!). Lots of riding... but the the 'epic' ride of the week was 7 summits, which travels across....ummm.... 7 summits.

Ride did me in. It was a point to point with 4700ft of climbing for 7500ft of descending all on singletrack. Over 6 hours... but probably would have been shorter if I didn't have a little girly melt down right at the end after I flatted and ran out of water.

stats:

starting out

more snow than us this year

panoramics of some of the summits. kind of makes up for the annoying black flies.

riding down was more fun than the boat load of climbing.

pretty

clearcuts

almost all done. why pale people like me shouldn't go out without sunblock. we turn pink.

summer is definitely this town's off-season. some quiet post-ride drinks:

Another ride report to come of some of the more gnar trails once I get around to resizing the photos.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Wow trippy you guys were just a few mountains away from us.

In fact the guy who is pictured in the devils backbone pictures rode up in Rossland and Nelson on Monday and Tuesday last week, plus another couple was up there as well.

A bunch of really cute Canadian girls were setting up to ride the Kettle trails (Jungle Hill) on our last day. We overheard one of the fellas saying they never see any bikers there.

But anyways looks like a great ride. We brought along a water filter because many ran out of water on our big ride. Running out of water sucks, it pays to bring one out on a huge epic. And i've had my sights set on that ride(7 Summits), as well as many others in the area of NE Wa and the Idaho Panhandle. Some great country. If you guys are ever out visiting your pal again, lemme know, i could direct you to some other less known about goodies south of the border.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
But anyways looks like a great ride. We brought along a water filter because many ran out of water on our big ride. Running out of water sucks, it pays to bring one out on a huge epic. And i've had my sights set on that ride(7 Summits), as well as many others in the area of NE Wa and the Idaho Panhandle. Some great country. If you guys are ever out visiting your pal again, lemme know, i could direct you to some other less known about goodies south of the border.
we didn't pack the water filter for this road trip. should have. i ran out of water RIGHT near the end.... drank a ridiculous amount during the ride. Just more hot and humid than I'm used to. I complain about Tahoe being dry, but at least we don't have to deal w/ riding on humid days.

i wouldn't mind going up there again... especially when lift access to red mountain is back up and running. also only got to skim the surface of the rossland trails.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
those are some awesome pictures. i really wish we had stuff like that out here. i'm definitely moving out west once i'm done with school.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Looks like a sweet ride. I've got a college buddy running a bar out in Rossland and he has nothing but good things to say about the town. Looks like I'm going to have to pay him a visit.

The Ito

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Looks like a sweet ride. I've got a college buddy running a bar out in Rossland and he has nothing but good things to say about the town. Looks like I'm going to have to pay him a visit.

The Ito
really? what bar? town was alot smaller that i thought it would be... but 1/2 the population appears to be crazy canadian dhers. i briefly met one of the owners of the bar downtown who was also at the red mtn real estate office.

mtn looks like it'd be fun in the winter too.

benjaminj

mr. amy
Mar 21, 2007
so. tahoe
Hell yeah - that Nomad kills it! I probably took about 50 pictures of my bike just sitting on the side of the trail looking all wicked, Amy must have weeded them out though. We felt like rockstars driving 2000 miles to BC and back with a Nomad, Blur LT, Bullit and VP Free attached to the car! To do Rossland right I think you would need a whole summer to ride all the trails there with people who know them, a week was too short.

This 7 Summits trail was pretty consistently an awesome ride with expansive views on most of the trail and really well built and maintained singletrack the whole way.... We were confused at the end because the 7 summits trail actually ends above town and you need to ride a fire road back into town, decending on a fire road after climbing would not be all that fun. Luckily there's also a really fast trail called the Dewdney that drops down to the main highway at the same area so we took that down, it's just super fun and fast for about 5 miles back to the car.

It's a pretty long 23 miles and feels like a longer ride - compared to a very quick 16 flat miles we did in Bend a few days later.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah. You Asians have got it made. The ability to tan and no need for deodorant. what a life.
Our food is better too. You don't see any white food restaurants, do you?

edit: i hope you are not offended that i think of you as not my friend, but as my 'white' friend.

Dawgpile

Chimp
Sep 24, 2007
Awesome fun ride. Just did it Saturday with 2 buds from Seattle. We feel like we stole one last ride from Old Man Winter. Just a little snow on the ground, little in the air, but mostly broken skies with sun. Wicked descents last 2 hours. Only piled in one time which is good for this old relic.

Cheers,

Dawgpile

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
hoorah. i'm so glad this got a bump. it reminds me of what a fun summer this was. as much as i like to try new places, i think i'd like to go back to rossland again next year and do this ride and some others i missed out on.

... but as for humidity. can't deal with it. just went back to connecticut for a bit and i just can't ride in that anymore.
i likes the tahoe weather.