Quantcast

$700.00 F.S. bike?

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
So my buddy is looking for an entry level full suspesion bike. He wants to spend about $700. Is that possible? I saw some Iron Horse bikes on Performance's site (not that I would promote performance). The Warrior looked sweet for the money.....any suggestions?:help:

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
I know, I know.... I told him he needs like $1200.00. (he started out at $400!....He is new to riding, wants to do some trail riding and be able to bomb some downhills (don't we all...) I had a 700 buck budget to get a bike....So I bought an 1100.00 frame! He does't want to spend that much.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Tell him to buy used. The Warrior isn't too good, I see a lot of rear end play in those bikes and the hardware for the pivot is a 4mm allen head.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The entry level Haro's are good for the dough. If XC is what he's looking to get into, then the Warrior is a nice place to start. If he doesn't mind weight, I would look at the IH Yakuza line.

I have been DH racing my Yakuza this year and the only issue I had was the rear floating brake (great idea, crapy parts). The fork was crap, but it would have worked for a lighter guy not looking to race.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
robdamanii said:
Never said what kind of riding he does...
I am guessing that since he's a beginner and in the Humbolt area he is likely doing some trail riding. I hear that there is some good DH stuff up there but I don't think KindTrails would take a n00b on something way beyone their skills.

I have a nice .243 HT I can sell if he's interested. I agree with the others in that he should look at a used bike, and probably a HT.

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
I think he will get more for his money in a hardtail, but ebay seems to have some good stuff for 700. Performance has all of the IH bikes on sale for deals. I hate to recomend something used...If there is something wrong with it, I would feel responsible