Quantcast

74 Caddy

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
No pics but, I have the chance to buy a 74 eldarado for $650. Good shape white leather, only 52,000 miles! Should I do it?

brenth

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Santa Monica
that would be a hell ya. I would think a member of the RESPECT cult wouldn't have to ask such an obvious question. think of the RESPECT!!!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Originally posted by Lexx D
No pics but, I have the chance to buy a 74 eldarado for $650. Good shape white leather, only 52,000 miles! Should I do it?
Depends. Does it have a bike rack?

Is the motor one of those big-honkin' 454's? Drive it for a year and it'll cost you more than a brand new <insert car of your choice>. :D

-S.S.-

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
Originally posted by SkaredShtles
Depends. Does it have a bike rack?

Is the motor one of those big-honkin' 454's? Drive it for a year and it'll cost you more than a brand new <insert car of your choice>. :D

-S.S.-
Dude forget the 454. besides being a chevy motor thats wussy stuff.. no If you drive a caddy especily one form the 70's the golden age of luxo barges you gotta think bigger try 500! cubic inches. 210 BHP @3600 rpm and 380 ft Lbs of Torque @ a sweet 2000 rpm (factory specs) these motors are capible of way more power but in 74 smog restrctions really choked off alot of power in cars.

according to http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/ the eldorado was the only 74 to recive the 500 the rest got the 472 cube motor

it would be rad to take one of these huge caddy motors partculry the 500 and put it into a older 4x4 suburban (there are companys that make a kits for this swap) and put a 6 inch lift and some minimum 38 tall tires can you say shuttle truck from hell..:devil:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Hell the Fvck yeah!!

If you have some cheese left over you need to get some curb feelers, a tv antenna, some & some fresh Curtis Mayfield 8 tracks.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
I just sold my 80 lincold conti, and if the lac is anything like it STAY AWAY. it had gadgets galore, which broke in an almost continuous stream over 3 years. and they arent expendible features. such as, when your auto dimming headlights crap out, you get headlights stuck on high beams, so i had to rewire the headlights so high was low, and low was high. endless little annoying problems. on the brite side, the severely worn engine and tranny just continued pluggin along, with a constant increase of 10 Db worth of rattles and all around bad soundingness per week. anyway, its was pimp, lookes badass, glided down the freeway, and had the most comfy (in a relaxing way) seats ever put in a car. but seeing it finally go, its kinda like when you have the flu, and you can finally feelin it tapering off, and the end is near. Soon you wont have to worry about it anymore.

and this is comming from a daily driven MGB owner......

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
lincoln are notorious for to much gadgetry and crappy wiring, i had a friend that had a 65, it had a huge motor, but none of the electronics worked

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Oh yeah my mechanic friend gave me the :thumb: . It's gonna be sick.:D There are a few things we want to do to it. Oh did i mention Red car white top and white leather.:eek: She is purdy.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
A 500ci or a 502? I know 502 is a Chevy size, so maybe not. On a motor that old, how hard could it be to drop in a new cam to get the power back up? How hard is it to bump up the compression ration?

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Originally posted by Lexx D
Oh yeah my mechanic friend gave me the :thumb: . It's gonna be sick.:D There are a few things we want to do to it. Oh did i mention Red car white top and white leather.:eek: She is purdy.
Sweet...now you gotta slam it...put a limo tint on the windows...roll some phat 20's...add a thumpin alpine...you'll be styyyyylin! Eventually you will want to have the upholstery redone in crushed red swirl velvet...

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
Originally posted by Repack
A 500ci or a 502? I know 502 is a Chevy size, so maybe not. On a motor that old, how hard could it be to drop in a new cam to get the power back up? How hard is it to bump up the compression ration?
the caddilac 500 was nly put in cddilac and is a diffrent motor all togeter the 74 eldorado is front wheel drive and im not sure if the motor is mounted front to back or sised to side. if its front to back to do a cam swap will probly requier removing the Rad and maby the Grill and bumper this is assumeing you know how to do a cam swap and you have all the tools needed.

bumping up compression would be easier you can either bolt on heads with a smaller combustion chambers or thowin a set of higher compression pistons or both. I found some info and cadilac heads in the premier issuer of 4x4 garage

as follows: caddilac heads can be IDed by the last 3 digits in the casting number found under the valve covers, 68--73 950,250 and 902 heads have 76cc chambers and can handle up to 5500rpm. 74 and up 493 (smog) and 552 (non smog) heads have 120cc chambers and can take about 4000 rpm these heads also have larger coolant passages

the stock compression ratio on a 74 500 is 8.25:1 and you probly dont want to go much higher than 9.5:1 for street the 500 found in the 1970 eldorado with the 76cc heads had 10:1 compression

one thing to rember is these motors where made for torque moreso than Horsepower a caddilac is heavy and it takessome grunt to move it plus power all the power robbing accsorys like AC and power steering. but that doesnt mean 400hp is not an achiveable goal check out www.500cid.com thes guys specilize in getting prefomance out of caddilac v-8s.

also http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/ has info on caddis from 1902 though to present

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Dirt rider
Bumping up compression would be easier you can either bolt on heads with a smaller combustion chambers or thowin a set of higher compression pistons or both. I found some info and cadilac heads in the premier issuer of 4x4 garage
That is what I was trying to think of but having a brain fart.
iTorque est muey bueno!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Years ago I had a 1969 Cadillac Coupe deVille convertible that I bought for $500.00 - it was the sh it. Big cars are a kick in the ass!

You'll be driving down the road in your big Cadillac, you'll have girls in the front, you'll have girls in the back and then way in back you'll have some money in a sack...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Years ago I had a 1969 Cadillac Coupe deVille convertible that I bought for $500.00 - it was the sh it. Big cars are a kick in the ass!

You'll be driving down the road in your big Cadillac, you'll have girls in the front, you'll have girls in the back and then way in back you'll have some money in a sack...
you said sack

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by dh girlie
you said sack
It's true - Roger Miller knows everything:

Yeah, I see you’re goin' down the street in your big Cadillac,
You got girls in the front, you got girls in the back,
Yeah, way in back, you got money in a sack,
Both hands on the wheel and your shoulders right back...

... yeah I can tell you're doing well, good things will come to you. Iwish I had your happines I do-wacka-do-wacka-do...