Quantcast

77 dezignz stem

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
We've met 77designz guys at MegaAvalanche last July. They had a bike they designed and some components. All looked interesting.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It's light but it's only a 2 bolt stem. That looses a lot of weight. I've seen it a couple of times last year and it seemed very solid.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I've got one of those DM stems,came stock with steel bolt hardware tipping the scales at 103g(-2g lighter than claimed)

Than i went for the Titanium bolt upgrade,bought 4 syntace Ti bolts big weight savings in the end over the steel bolts,tipping the scales at 93g but on the more accurate scales like the Alpine or Park it's 90g;)

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
light and solid enough.

but pain in the ass when you have to mount it :) as we are all used to just taking it off instead of sliding it out sideways nd to unmount everything from the bars.

i gotta get me a new crown for my 888s so i can use the DM everyone else is using though.. grrrr

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I don't know how about you, guys, but I don't disassemble and assemble my h-bar once a week ;)
It's just 8 or even 6 bolts :)
But you can go even lighter with Cesar's design, if you've gor proper frame :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's absolutely terrifying with ti bolts. There's so much more stress on the bolts with this kind of design....I hope you decide to run at least the front ones with high grade steel...

I was looking at designing something like this a long time ago...flex is an issue since the one bolt holds both the stem to the crown and the bars from rotating, but maybe they nailed it down.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That's absolutely terrifying with ti bolts. There's so much more stress on the bolts with this kind of design....I hope you decide to run at least the front ones with high grade steel...

I was looking at designing something like this a long time ago...flex is an issue since the one bolt holds both the stem to the crown and the bars from rotating, but maybe they nailed it down.
Yeah. I'm a fan of ti but here for the front I'd defo go steel.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah. I'm a fan of ti but here for the front I'd defo go steel.
when it's eight bolts, sure, even six might be doable, but with only four bolts preventing your front teeth from pointing inwards, I wouldn't take the chance. Especially when the stem is so dang light to begin with.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
when it's eight bolts, sure, even six might be doable, but with only four bolts preventing your front teeth from pointing inwards, I wouldn't take the chance. Especially when the stem is so dang light to begin with.
Yeah. My 8 bolt stem is 128 or 135g with full ti bolts so it would still be lighter. Yet If I wanted to go that light I'd just get a stemcrown from hope or chunked.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
That thing is going to flex like MAD. The e13 stem flexes a lot with wide bars, I can only imagine that thing...

The new production privee stem/bar combo is pretty sick and will be my next choice.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
That thing is going to flex like MAD. The e13 stem flexes a lot with wide bars, I can only imagine that thing...

The new production privee stem/bar combo is pretty sick and will be my next choice.
Dartmoor stem is a very similar to the e13 and I didn't notice any flex. Same for my heavier friends. Strange that you feel that since I assume you are not heavier than me.

btw. Link to Privee site or sth? I'm curious.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
the privee would be my choice too.. 5 axis CNC work.. yummy

very nice stem, Norbar, it was up on PB i think ? its something done with cedric G, they do a matching bar with it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I quite like their frame. Bet it would be fun to ride with the short stays, progressive curve, and single pivot. Not too keen on the backwards shock and massive downtube gusset, but other than that, very nice.
It looks great live. Really nice frame.