Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Linkey

7th Tour win gives Lance immortality
Cyclist will forever be remembered alongside greats like Babe, Jordan

By Mike Celizic

Lance.
That’s all you have to say today and all you’ll have to say 30 years from now. Everything else will fill in by itself: the last name, the incredible record in the Tour de France, the enormous strength, the unquenchable competitive spirit, the sheer greatness of his career and accomplishments.

The greatest tribute in sports today is to be known by a single name or nickname. Say Tiger, Barry, Michael, Magic, Rocket, Ali, Emmitt, Sweetness, Pele or A-Rod and everyone knows about whom you are speaking. You are talking about the best.

Lance Armstrong is retiring with his unprecedented seventh straight Tour de France victory. The final one, which should have been the hardest, was absurdly easy. He took the lead early, fought off a few puny challenges, and spent his final week not threatened in the race he has come to define. His pursuers said they had given it their all and admitted it wasn’t nearly enough.
Lance wasn’t just a little bit better than the best of his generation; He was a lot better. He dominated his sport like Babe Ruth dominated baseball 80 years ago. No one before was better at this one consummate test of cycling and it will be a long time before anyone is as good again.
We’ve been through a remarkable era in sports, an era that rivals the Roaring ’20s for producing heroes. Back then it was the Galloping Ghost, Red Grange; The Manassa Mauler, Jack Dempsey; the Babe; Big Bill Tilden, the tennis great; Bobby Jones, winner of golf’s Grand Slam. Some say it was the greatest era ever.

We have some right to say we’re not far behind, if we’re behind at all. In the past decade, we’ve been able to watch Roger Clemens, who is arguably the best right-handed pitcher ever; Michael Jordan, the greatest basketball player who ever lived; Emmitt Smith, football’s all-time rushing leader; a crop of NFL quarterbacks that includes Dan Marino, Joe Montana, John Elway and Brett Favre; Shaq, the greatest center of his generation and one of the greatest ever; Pete Sampras, who won more Grand Slams than any other man; Barry Bonds, with his seven MVPs; and Jerry Rice, without question the greatest receiver in NFL history.

We didn’t have a great heavyweight champion; Ali was the last who truly fit that description. But Iron Mike Tyson was as compelling a personality as anyone who has ever held the title.

We also have a some stars who are approaching their primes, including Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Anika Sorenstam and Tiger Woods. All could one day be the best ever.

Lance Armstrong fits right in there, an athlete identifiable by a single name who dominated the signature event of multiple-stage bike racing like no one ever has. His accomplishment has to stand with those of Rice and Emmitt and Marino and Sampras and Bonds. It stands with any achievement by anyone.
And let’s hear no more debates about whether Lance is truly an athlete and whether bike racing is truly a sport. The Greeks invented athletic competition nearly 2,500 years ago. In the first recorded Olympic games, there was one event — a sprint of approximately 200 meters. The distance was called a “stade,” and it’s the word from which we get the word “stadium.”

For the Greeks, athleticism wasn’t about hand-eye coordination; it was about speed and power. To this day, the most celebrated Olympic champion in track and field is the winner of the shortest race, the 100-meter dash.
Sports are contests in which people compete physically, matching a skill or skill set against others. That’s my definition, at least. My cut-off line is anything you can do better while drinking beer. So billiards doesn’t make it. Nor does darts. Those are games.

Bike racing qualifies on multiple levels. It requires strength and power and incredible cardiovascular fitness. On the Tour, it calls for teamwork. And if you don’t think you have to be coordinated or athletic to ride a few pounds of alloy at 60 mph down a mountain festooned with switchbacks on a couple of millimeters of rubber that’s hanging on for your dear life to the pavement, think again.

And if you remember being a kid and racing other kids on bikes, you’ll also remember that the kids who beat you were almost always better athletes than you in other sports.

To say that bike racing isn’t a real sport is merely a way of justifying the fact that you don’t pay attention to it or find it important. But you don’t have to like cycling or ever watch it to appreciate it. Not many people watch triathlons, either, but it’s impossible to deny the athletic ability of those who excel at them.

Lance is an athlete and a champion for the ages. He was that before the 2005 Tour de France began. Now that it’s over, and the best riders in the world couldn’t even challenge him, his greatness stands out even more starkly than before.

Don’t argue about what he does. Appreciate what he’s accomplished, because it’s likely you’ll never see it equaled again.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Reactor said:
<snip>
Don’t argue about what he does. Appreciate what he’s accomplished, because it’s likely you’ll never see it equaled again.
I wonder what makes this person think that the world won't ever know someone who will exceed all these athletes' accomplishments in their respective fields. :rolleyes:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Good stuff, but this bugs me: "He dominated his sport..."

No, he dominated the Tour, and a few other races along the way. He is the greatest Tour rider ever but he never dominated bicycle racing.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
OGRipper said:

No, he dominated the Tour, and a few other races along the way. He is the greatest Tour rider ever but he never dominated bicycle racing.
:stupid:

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
I could argue with most of his "best ever" proclamations, but then I realized he listed about 15-20 people as "the best ever" (with half a dozen baseball players and at least as many football)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Not that I disagree with accessment of "GOAT" for Lance, but how the F does he know how good Lance is? Did he compare him to Merckx or Anquetil, who both won 5 Tours as well as a host of other races?

I get tired of American sports writers who know nothing about cycling commenting about cycling. At least most of the current stories are positive (except for Mr. Bayless), but they are about as ignorant as the negative ones.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Polandspring88 said:
It was ok I guess. I would not put Roger in there, nor Barry Bonds, but thats just my opinion.
In the history of baseball, name a better right handed pitcher than Roger Clemens. You can't. He is 43 and is still the best in the game. I hate him though.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
OGRipper said:

POO POO on you Eddy had to race that much to make a living, I remember reading he thought it was brilliant for Lance to focus on the tour... The tour is the biggest race and he won it seven times... you can't say that between 1999 and 2005 anyone one else got any "deserved" attention...