Quantcast

8====D Thursday *Payday* GMT 8===D

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Yay it's my Friday, Wife is heading off to a horse show in a bit, I will head to LA tomorrow to go visit pops for the weekend. May take the bike and do a Saturday dawn patrol of the Backbone trail in the Santa Monica Mts.
Topanga Creek bikes does a Saturday morning group ride from their shop it's about 1/2 mile south of chaney on Topanga canyon rd

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
pressure from the pipe cutter bulges out the material in the cut zone. requires grinding / filiing to get back down to nominal diameter. can make it hard to get shifters / brakes / grip lock-ons onto the bar.

same thing happens when you do it on steerer tubes (although more pronounced because the wall thickness is greater).

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
^ I was actually editing my post to add steerers when you typed that. Arguably more of a big deal since bearings have to pass down the steerer (assuming it's not a tapered steerer).

Either way works, but there's more work involved with a pipe cutter.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
^ I was actually editing my post to add steerers when you typed that. Arguably more of a big deal since bearings have to pass down the steerer (assuming it's not a tapered steerer).

Either way works, but there's more work involved with a pipe cutter.
it's less about the bearings (nowadays there's almost always a compression / preload ring that fits in between the bearing and the spacer) but the stem and any spacers.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i was surprised i was able to score a front row ticket to a henry rollins spoken word thing at the mcglohon theatre ...over the phone....

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
^ Still only took 3 days to travel 1/2 way around the world.

Mine has taken 3 days to travel ~1,500 miles....and I still don't have it.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Bandit-camping, man. Anywhere in the Nat'l Forest that has been previously established is good-to-go unless specifically against regulations. Fridays can be tight on the "really-close-to-Denver" locations.

Let me know if you're ever interested in recco's - the big "issue" for most people seems to be the lack of any kind of toilet arrangements. But portable toilets are getting pretty decent and are recommended.

Oh - and quite a few Nat'l Forest campgrounds have (or are completely) 1st come/1st serve. Those campgrounds don't generally show up in the "recreation.gov" reservation website.
Portable toilet for the cheap, home depot five gallon homer bucket+trash bag. . Bucket even has a lid

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Had some drinks last night and I am tired today. Stuff like that that makes you feel old.

Riding to work for close to two years now and I still the highlight of the work day. The new closer ratio cassette and short cage RD is sweet.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I remind the world how old I am by being stubborn and NOT following sound advice... also bought a hacksaw as a back up plan. I also used to use WD40 to remove grips, wash them up and replace. Pretty sure that's also not the way to go.

Also upgraded my burner phone to an LG Rebel LTE, that brings me solidly into 2014.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I remind the world how old I am by being stubborn and NOT following sound advice... also bought a hacksaw as a back up plan. I also used to use WD40 to remove grips, wash them up and replace. Pretty sure that's also not the way to go.

Also upgraded my burner phone to an LG Rebel LTE, that brings me solidly into 2014.
2008 called, it said get lock on grips

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
2008 called, it said get lock on grips
I have had Odi grips since 2004, I used to get them to match my King headsets. While fashionable, I did not find them superior. Plus I wear a size med glove, rubber grips are fine for me.

Also ended up using the pipe cutter, just as easy as I remembered and I didn't have to take the bars off the bike.

View media item 2881

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have had Odi grips since 2004, I used to get them to match my King headsets. While fashionable, I did not find them superior. Plus I wear a size med glove, rubber grips are fine for me.

Also ended up using the pipe cutter, just as easy as I remembered and I didn't have to take the bars off the bike.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

I used ODI for years but was never quite sold as they were never as comfortable as the grips of old. Recently put some foam ESIs on and they are way better. We shall see how the grips that came on the Yeti feel.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
So my 03 F350 Diesel started blowing smoke out of the exhaust. Turns out that after 130,000 miles injectors 3&7 failed. Having the shop replace all of the injectors on that side of the engine while they have it opened up for just the additional parts cost. Not cheap but hey it should run a few more years (or until the left side injectors fail)

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Howdy all. I'm on service this afternoon with the chair and the section chief (two separate people). I therefore walked in 20 minutes late with sunglasses on.

:dealwithit.gif:

(I forgot my eyeglasses in the sunglass case in my car, which is across campus. Must have gotten flustered after test riding all those recumbents this morning.)

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm pretty sure John Oliver is going to destroy the financial future for the 4.6 million people who have watched his episode last Sunday about retirement plans. The number of people actively citing his show and wanting to go to low cost index funds, but no idea which ones to choose is appalling. I have people who have performed notably better with us, who are moving away to a stated unknown strategy, because he said too. People going to investments that are absolutely improper with no cares to listen. He carries no liability for his action on this and it will probably do horrific things long-term. I love his show and most of what he talks about is correct, but this is something that actually requires some kind of knowledge to do right. /rant

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
His points about the myriad of fees are spot on, though. I'm fine with my simple is as simple does Vanguard Target Date funds in tax-deferred accounts and ETFs via Betterment in taxable. That way nothing clobbers each other for tax loss harvesting/wash sales and I have no incentive to muck with things on either side.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
His points about the myriad of fees are spot on, though. I'm fine with my simple is as simple does Vanguard Target Date funds in tax-deferred accounts and ETFs via Betterment in taxable. That way nothing clobbers each other for tax loss harvesting/wash sales and I have no incentive to muck with things on either side.
I've had people moving to those funds, which we have outperformed notably over managed time period (-1.5% vs. +5.7% , for one example), not even listening to the fact that they are moving to an under performing fund. I'm a fan of index funds, I use them personally and we try to use them whenever possible in the portfolios, however we give justification for our investments are carry fiduciary responsibility. He carries no liability but is telling people to go to index funds. People are only listening to the 'why' of what he's saying, as that's what he is saying the most, but not listening to the aspect of 'how'.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I've had people moving to those funds, which we have outperformed notably over managed time period (-1.5% vs. +5.7% , for one example), not even listening to the fact that they are moving to an under performing fund. I'm a fan of index funds, I use them personally and we try to use them whenever possible in the portfolios, however we give justification for our investments are carry fiduciary responsibility. He carries no liability but is telling people to go to index funds. People are only listening to the 'why' of what he's saying, as that's what he is saying the most, but not listening to the aspect of 'how'.
Over time all active management loses out to index funds even before the management fee is factored in. I don't believe in unicorns.

I do agree that blanket advice is going to lead to rash decisions/weird allocations but if people had the sense to keep the same allocation but just switch to ETFs/index funds to make up that allocation then they'd see a net benefit, IMO. Of course people don't have that sense in the first place, which is part of the reason he did that piece.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm pretty sure John Oliver is going to destroy the financial future for the 4.6 million people who have watched his episode last Sunday about retirement plans. The number of people actively citing his show and wanting to go to low cost index funds, but no idea which ones to choose is appalling. I have people who have performed notably better with us, who are moving away to a stated unknown strategy, because he said too. People going to investments that are absolutely improper with no cares to listen. He carries no liability for his action on this and it will probably do horrific things long-term. I love his show and most of what he talks about is correct, but this is something that actually requires some kind of knowledge to do right. /rant
You should start your own show, "start investing with stoney "

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
And 720mm bars - he is totally old dude :)
I'm sure an engineer could supply the math but here is my take from da real world down by river: Xtra Large Santa Cruz Bronson in Pepto Pink being riden by a guy who is 6'2" and equipped with a 780mm bar. Does it make sense for a 5'7" me to be on a small frame and have the same width bar? I says no and today my shoulder thanked me. :)

Anyhow, that was my attempt at 725...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Coffee in hand. Extra tired today.

I've these bars: http://www.jensonusa.com/Race-Face-Atlas-Am-Handlebar-Oe-1 I guess they are pretty narrow by todays standard, but I am short at 5'7 so they feel pretty good. I zip through tight spots where other dudes either bang their bars or have to do the zig zag at a slow pace.
I run 720s as well. Some trails are still very tight, anything wider and I'd be smashing my knuckles into trees. Wider looks like it would be fun on more open stuff.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Mornin bitches!

Today is pay day. Today is also maiden voyage on the new bike day. Gonna head up to White Ranch and ride the same route as Sunday so I can have a fair back to back comparison to see how far technology has come in the past 14 years.
@Adventurous appeared to enjoy his new dentist horse. Rode with him and my wife in stupid hot temps up Belcher...

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
pressure from the pipe cutter bulges out the material in the cut zone. requires grinding / filiing to get back down to nominal diameter. can make it hard to get shifters / brakes / grip lock-ons onto the bar.

same thing happens when you do it on steerer tubes (although more pronounced because the wall thickness is greater).
Also since it's cutting by displacement it's work hardening the metal which can result in cracking. Aluminum that is used in bikes is often hardened and does not like having a lot of concentrated force applied to it. That's why when you bent something made of aluminum and try to bend it back, it cracks.

Albeit the amount of force from a pipe cutter may not be significant enough to cause failure but why risk it ? Personally I use a hacksaw and clean it up with a belt sander and de-burr the edges.

Last edited: