Quantcast

8 hours and 13 minutes until MACWORLD!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I don't know why i'm excited really, guess i'm just a big ol' nerd and like seeing new stuff!

And i'm in the market for a Mac Pro, and it'd be nice if they did somthing new with them, or lowered the price or somthing ;)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I don't know why i'm excited really, guess i'm just a big ol' nerd and like seeing new stuff!

And i'm in the market for a Mac Pro, and it'd be nice if they did somthing new with them, or lowered the price or somthing ;)
They may go 8 proc with the top model, but that would be a surprise. Macworld SF is usually about the gadgets and the major consumer models, not the "pro" style hardware.

The Wall Street Journal is now reporting that Jobs "oh, one more thing" is definitely a cell phone with cingular.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Steve Jobs must be creaming his pants at all the Mac geeks lined up and clamoring for the next product he can overcharge for :D

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
10:04am - "We want to reinvent the phone. What's the killer app? The killer app is making calls! It's amazing how hard it is to make calls on most phones. We want to let you use contacts like never before -- sync your iPhone with your PC or mac. Visual voicemail -- wouldn't it be great if you didn't have to listen to five of them to list to the sixth? Just like email you can go directly to the voicemails that interest you. iPhone is a quad-band GSM + EDGE phone." No 3G! "We have WiFi and Bluetooth 2.0"

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
First fully usable web browser? That's odd, the Nokia E62 has a decent one that is more than usable.

What's the price on this new gadget? I'm guessing $600 with a 2 year contract with Cingular, and the suckers will line right up...mind you, if it's less than $300, I may be one of those suckers...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
What's the price on this new gadget? I'm guessing $600 with a 2 year contract with Cingular, and the suckers will line right up...mind you, if it's less than $300, I may be one of those suckers...

Many people will line up to be first, but wait for V2 and you've got something. Know anybody that still has a first generation iPod?

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
The price tag is steep and I personally don't see the price going down Apple doesn't lower the price of products they just replace them with new and if time it right can get a slight discount on the old stuff.

Imho I think it was a bad move for them to only go with cingular since reading Consumer Reports issue with cellphones and plans and Cingular was rated very low in service.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I paid $129 for my Razr a couple of months (?) ago with a two year contract extension with Verizon.. I just use it for making calls and texting though. If I'm going to pay to download a song, I might as well just do it from iTunes.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You can quite often get paid up to $75 to buy a Razr if you wait for the right rebates. Hell, some phones you can get paid $200 for. That's like 6 months of your contract, free.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
See what I mean. iPhone will add more features, storage and of course colors (I already want a white one) and prices will drop.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The price tag is steep and I personally don't see the price going down Apple doesn't lower the price of products they just replace them with new and if time it right can get a slight discount on the old stuff.

Imho I think it was a bad move for them to only go with cingular since reading Consumer Reports issue with cellphones and plans and Cingular was rated very low in service.
They aren't. It's an unlocked GSM device. Cingular just happens to be their partner network to get deals. The 499/599 prices are WITHOUT contracts, through the apple store.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Even if these cost $7-800 w/o a contract, it's still a steal considering what the thing can do, and the elegance and ease with which it allows you to do it. Also keep in mind this puppy is 7 months away and a lot can change between now and then.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
They aren't. It's an unlocked GSM device. Cingular just happens to be their partner network to get deals. The 499/599 prices are WITHOUT contracts, through the apple store.
it isn't clear if these phone are locked or not...

what is clear is that they will only be available from Apple Stores and Cingular

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
The problem for me my carrier is cdma so I couldn't get one anyway

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC

oh so wrong:plthumbsdown:
my 2nd gen 20gb i-pod was 400$ from circuit city, no color screne no pictures no videos, jack, just music

now 30gb video i-pod from 280$

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
oh so wrong:plthumbsdown:
my 2nd gen 20gb i-pod was 400$ from circuit city, no color screne no pictures no videos, jack, just music

now 30gb video i-pod from 280$

Exactly. iPhone is the big thing now; of course, the Keynote was yesterday. Wait a year or two, it will go down and different models will show up with different features, price, etc.

As for the actual iPhone, and this maybe a noob smartphone question, but suppose you only have the device without being activated with mobile access, will go on the web ONLY with WiFi or does it need to be connected to a network such as Cingular or Rogers here in Canada ?