Quantcast

8 hours and 13 minutes until MACWORLD!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
The blackjack requires a $40/mo data plan in addition to the voice plan. I expect nothing less from Cingular when the iphone is released.
That's what I was thinking. So, unless I start dating a Hilton, I doubt I'll be getting one.

Oh come on...you single guys would all hit it if the opportunity presented itself...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Actually, #3, 4 and 5 are pretty major. The battery life I expected, but no spare battery? Even crappy phones are coming with expansion slots now, and not supporting a major upcoming network protocol is stupid.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Actually, #3, 4 and 5 are pretty major. The battery life I expected, but no spare battery? Even crappy phones are coming with expansion slots now, and not supporting a major upcoming network protocol is stupid.
I just bought and returned a Blackjack due to: 1) the worst battery life I've ever experienced, they come with 2 batteries for a reason 2) 3G is still s-l-o-w.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Oh cisco...

Apparently Cisco has more "iPhone" trouble in store for it than just that prior art dispute we mentioned yesterday. In order to keep a trademark alive, you have to file a "Declaration of Use" with the US Patent and Trademark office every six years or forfeit the trademark. On 11/16/2005 Cisco missed that deadline, but was granted a six month grace period, which it just barely squeezed through. Unfortunately for Cisco, a "Declaration of Use" requires demonstration of active use, under penalty of perjury. Cisco merely slapped an iPhone sticker onto an existing VoIP handset it was producing (shown above), but at the time hadn't put an actual iPhone product on shelves for a good long while. This jeopardizes the legitimacy of the trademark, and with Ocean Telecom Services LLC -- which is thought by most to be a front company for Apple -- next in line for the name, it's looking like anyone's game at this point.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Think different, except when it comes to...

Form factor - LG most recently and others.

Finger gestures - Neonode

Multitouch - Canon over a decade ago -

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,255,604.PN.&OS=PN/6,255,604&RS=PN/6,255,604

Visual voicemail -

Engadget said:
We're guessing not, but El Reg has a piece up squarely accusing Apple of another swipe, this time of the term "Visual Voicemail" to describe the iPhone's voicemail UI. Visual Voicemail, which is owned by Citrix and originally developed by Net6, has been around for years and may (or may not) be what's powering Apple and Cingular's solution for the common problem of having to wait through all the voicemail you don't want just to hear the voicemail you do. And "Visual Voicemail" is, in fact, capitalized on Apple's site, meaning if legit usage of the term or licensed software isn't in the cards, Apple could soon find itself in two simultaneous pots of hot water.
Evolutionary technology with good integration of existing technology...typical Apple MO.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Syadasti, when did Canon come out with the Multitouch, and what did they use it for? First I saw of it was the crazy huge touch screen and that guy playing with all the cool features, but not really doing anything productive. I know thats a terrible description, I'll see if I can dig up the link.

And you know they dropped the Think Different thing awhile ago, right? ;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The question really is, who cares? This is Apple's M.O. - take some great ideas, package them really well, deck it out with a slick user interface and market it like crazy. People eat it up, and they're reasonably good products.

They're rarely the technically "best" product on the market for any given function, but they work fine and packaging/UI means a lot to the average consumer. Good for Apple, Inc. (I thought it was interesting and smart that they dropped the "Computer") to realize they're a damn good electronics company - they're gonna make a mint off this phone.