Quantcast

8 Inch Rotor question

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Generally, it's not such a great idea. The 8" rotor puts a lot more force on one side of the wheel, causing twisting. The QR doesn't resist twisting as well as a thru-axle, or even a solid bolt-on axle will.

You'll get a hundred people who say they run an 8" rotor on a QR and it's fine and blah blah blah, I'm just letting you know why it might not be a good idea :). Frankly, anything that might cause my front axle to break is to be avoided, IMHO.

Avid makes 7" rotors for a happy medium. Or, your LBS will probably have solid bolt-on axles that you could swap out for the QR. Not as convenient, though.

I like 20mm :D

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The geometry of some dropouts is such that the force applied by the brake can cause the wheel to be 'pulled' out of the dropout. One of the mfg (cant remember who at the moment) said in new literature that they changed the dropout angle to adress this.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
dave, I think I read some about this and the 6" rotors pull at an angle that is more 'out of the dropout' than the 8" ones do. Splat, try searching on this. My old bike came specced with an 8" rotor and a 30mm stanchion fork, I would not worry about it.

Any disc/QR setup though, watch to make sure the QR does not loosen after a run / long descent.