Quantcast

8-spd conversion

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
So I bought an Iron Horse Yakuza hardtail last fall at a screaming deal as just kind of a general abuse/dirt jump/trail bike last fall and it is definitely lacking in the components department. I really dig the frame though...it's a blast to ride. It came with an Acera groupo...which includes an integrated shifter pod/brake lever thingy that is just horrible. It's non-intuitive to shift, it's just a big pile of poo:
http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycle/products/component.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441763158&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302039984&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=1408474395181419&bmUID=1141604433683

BUT the thing is, it's an 8-speed. Which I kinda like. So I was considering just getting some cheap SRAM X.7 shifters/derailleur for it, but obviously those are 9-speed. Is there any easy way to keep it as 8-speed but upgrade the shifters & brakes? Or should I just get a new 9-speed cassette and revamp the entire drivetrain?

Don't worry about brakes - those are Hayes mechs of some sort and are also a big pile of poo...so I'm just going to upgrade the brakes on my DH bike, slap the old ones on the Yakuza, and call it good (old Hayes Comps).

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Ciaran - I appreciate it...but not a big fan of grip shifting.

splat good point; is there any way I can check it out to be sure? I guess I could run the shifters a while, wouldn't be the end of the world. But the brakes really do scare me...they are sloooow to stop :eek:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Summit said:
So I bought an Iron Horse Yakuza hardtail last fall at a screaming deal as just kind of a general abuse/dirt jump/trail bike last fall and it is definitely lacking in the components department. I really dig the frame though...it's a blast to ride. It came with an Acera groupo...which includes an integrated shifter pod/brake lever thingy that is just horrible. It's non-intuitive to shift, it's just a big pile of poo:
http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycle/products/component.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441763158&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302039984&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=1408474395181419&bmUID=1141604433683

BUT the thing is, it's an 8-speed. Which I kinda like. So I was considering just getting some cheap SRAM X.7 shifters/derailleur for it, but obviously those are 9-speed. Is there any easy way to keep it as 8-speed but upgrade the shifters & brakes? Or should I just get a new 9-speed cassette and revamp the entire drivetrain?

Don't worry about brakes - those are Hayes mechs of some sort and are also a big pile of poo...so I'm just going to upgrade the brakes on my DH bike, slap the old ones on the Yakuza, and call it good (old Hayes Comps).

Easy fix, buy the shifter and derailer thats tuned for eightspeed!!!
There not always listed in teh parts catalog, but i know quality has shimano xt stuff for eight speed. Not sure if they have Sram though.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
That sounds kinda nasty.

El cheapo hubs for sure, this is what the specs say:

* R. HUB: ALLOY QR 36H
* FREEWHEEL: SHIMANO HG-30 CASSETTE 11-32T, 8 SPEED

maybe I should just sell it and get a Yeti DJ... :D

p.s. and yeah if I can get 8-spd XT stuff I'd be all over it...can you find it online or do you have to order thru QPB or something?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I haven't seen an 8-spd assembly that couldn't be converted to 9-spd. Not saying they don't exist (I'm sure they do), but generally the 8 and 9 spd cassettes were the same width. So, yeah, watch out for it but the odds are that it can be swapped.

I looked at some of the more inexpensive Iron Horse hardtails at my LBS last year and they looked like pretty standard (if cheap) setups. Shouldn't be a problem to put a 9 speed group on there at all. If you don't have the tools to pull the cassette off yourself, maybe you could wrangle a deal with your LBS for the parts + install and they could easily tell you if it'll fit.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Summit said:
p.s. and yeah if I can get 8-spd XT stuff I'd be all over it...can you find it online or do you have to order thru QPB or something?
Look at eBay. I see people selling NOS 8 speed stuff over there all the time.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Summit said:
That sounds kinda nasty.

El cheapo hubs for sure, this is what the specs say:

* R. HUB: ALLOY QR 36H
* FREEWHEEL: SHIMANO HG-30 CASSETTE 11-32T, 8 SPEED

maybe I should just sell it and get a Yeti DJ... :D

You probably wont find it online, most likely going to have to go to your LBS and have them order it up, QBP doesnt list it, but with a couple phone calls it does exist, not sure who else can get, but i know for sure QBP!!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I like my 8 speed setup. I was thinking about changing it over, but after running the new SRAM shifter for a while, I like it. It's a little beefier than the 9 speed I had before.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Sick! You guys rule, thanks :D

edit: oh yeah, can I use a reg'lar XT rear der. with those Shimano 8-spd shifters or do I need something special there as well?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Summit said:
Sick! You guys rule, thanks :D

edit: oh yeah, can I use a reg'lar XT rear der. with those Shimano 8-spd shifters or do I need something special there as well?
Derailleurs are controlled by how much slack the shifter takes up or gives out. They don't care how many speeds you're running.

So, yeah, standard stuff works fine :)

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
There's a good amount of Shimano 8 speed stuff on ebay. I just bought a bottom pull front derailleurs for like $5, for my "new" flat bar cyclocross project bike I'm building. I was pleasantly surprised how much 8 speed stuff was on there, so I'd check there first.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
I've got an "old" (a 2004, but it's been replaced) Specialized with those same components - I think the bad braking performance you speak of is from comparing hydraulic discs to cable discs - (the brakes on my Specialized are Tektros - probably what you have.) and you're right - they do suck.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
I just checked and the brakes are actually some kind of Hayes mechs. They are seriously worse than v-brakes. Ordering some Mags tonight for the DH bike... :D

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
binary visions said:
Derailleurs are controlled by how much slack the shifter takes up or gives out. They don't care how many speeds you're running.

So, yeah, standard stuff works fine :)
thanks bin...that's what I was thinking but I'm a JONG with most things mechanical so it's always nice to be sure ;)

p.s. here's the bike: