Quantcast

8 speed compatibility- sun race or box?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hello friends
I am looking at building a budget drivetrain and rather than trying to get some scum to send me their roached out drivetrain, I was considering using my brand NOS XTR 8 speed shifters with a 10 speed FD lying in a box and an 11-32 XTR ti cassette I also have lying in a box. The problem is I have no derailleur and really don't want to pay for one that doesn't have a clutch. Looks like there are two options on the market now, the box 8 speed and a sunrace RDM900 9 speed. Box expressly says their cable pull is different than other 8 speed setups, and the sunrace is technically a 9 speed setup but I remember using 9 speed derailleurs with 8 speed setups in the past. Are any of these setups compatibly with my shifter and cassette?

The sunrace looks really nice.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It came with a bike I bought. When I bought my racelink, it came with a shitload of parts and this may have been in there. I ran it for a year or so on my DH bike but never anywhere I'd be pedaling a lot. I think it's 11-32 but I'm not sure...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I always intended on putting it back on my DH bike since it works so well and is so robust, but I bought a complete bike that came with a deore setup that has a clutch and narrow 10s cassette, so I don't really want to swap.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I sold an old 9 speed XTR Ti cassette a couple of months ago for a bunch of cash, it had been sitting in my parts for a few years.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I was excited till I saw it wasn't compatible with other shifters. But still--could be my way forward on my bikes when stuff I have finally dies.

Ed: oh, yeah--for just a $30 shifter more I can go to a clutch der and wide-range cassette, nice...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
There's no mention of compatibility with the sunrace stuff. I wonder if you could just use a shimano shifter with it. In theory all 7-8-9 stuff is compatible, I htink.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Disregard, sunrace not Box. Got it.

But cable pull ratio does matter for shifter/der compatibility, I think. Why SRAM and Shimano don't work when mixed.

And the Sunrace shifter units mention Shimano compatible.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
didn't see that about the shimano compatibility. I wonder why the box stuff isn't compatible...unless it's a similar cable pull issue like SRAM's 1:1

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Shimano 9 speed derailleurs have the same cable pull as 8 speed. Surely you can still find one of those around.