Quantcast

8 Weeks on crutchs...ideas?

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I just had ankle surgery yesterday. Broken bone, and a bit of messed up caralidge means 8 weeks on crutchs...

The good news is the doctor expects a 100 percent recovery. The bad news is I am laid up for the longest period ever.

I can go to the gym and work upper body/core/my left leg and possibly start spinning in a few weeks but besides that I am bored silly.

Give me some things to do...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Trip people with your crutches.

Put a mirror on a crutch and look for girls with skirts.

Hang a ziplok bag full of apple juice to a crutch with a tube that goes into your pocket for the fake urine bag look. Add drops of mayonaise or red food coloring to freak people out.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
neversummersnow said:
I just had ankle surgery yesterday. Broken bone, and a bit of messed up caralidge means 8 weeks on crutchs...

The good news is the doctor expects a 100 percent recovery. The bad news is I am laid up for the longest period ever.

I can go to the gym and work upper body/core/my left leg and possibly start spinning in a few weeks but besides that I am bored silly.

Give me some things to do...
Regular cast, or air?

I'm thinking Swimming.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Been there... Done that...

Grab an Xbox or PS2, expect to spend a LOT more time on RM, if you plan on drinking beware some of those pain meds can do some trippy crap to ya! and make sure you have some sober folks around you so you don't try and get up and walk or do something stupid, its one thing when you aren't a gimp let alone when you are, work on your bike as best you can, might be hard at first depending on how much pain you are in when you are standing (blood rushing to it) but I went through and cleaned my bike down to the smallest freaking spots, lubed, adjusted, etc. When I got back on the bike, it was awesome because it was fresh and ready to go.

Good luck!

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Hmm, maybe keep the bike-related stuff to a minimum. If it were me, I'd get really antsy to ride every time I worked on my bike or looked at awesome bike stuff on the 'net. Hang out with your friends a lot so you don't get the chance to feel sorry for yourself.

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
Learn the art of crutch break dancing.
The worst part of breaking a bone is the loooong wait after you feel fine, but still have to heal.
good luck

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Watch your diet. It sounds simple, but the first time I was laid up, I didn't and gained like 30 pounds.

While laid up, getting someone to drive you around on scenic drives is very good, or just drive yourself if you can. Cabin Fever is deadly, but it doesn't take much to get over it.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
bradical said:
Learn the art of crutch break dancing.
The worst part of breaking a bone is the loooong wait after you feel fine, but still have to heal.
good luck
i was just thinking... extreme freestyle walking could easily be modified into freestyle crutching. mister brines- our campus offers lots of crutching terrain.

by the way- gunther... wtf, that is hilarious.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Order Synopsis. View so many times you mentally learn how to drift that S-turn at Keystone a la Graves. Kill the Semi-Pro class this season with your superior skills.

Bowhunting skills, nun chuck skills, computer hacking skills. Girls only want boyfriends with skills.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Sorry to hear about your ankle... here is a suggestion:

Click

Seriously, just go buy Halo 2, use the free Xbox like trial membership and the months of recovery will pass very quickly as you plug dual magnims into the craniums of poor unsuspecting little "potty-mouthed" kids everywhere.

whoopnar

Monkey
Sep 11, 2004
Chico, CA
Take a waterbottle cage and bolt it to your crutches, with the bolt that holds your handle in place. It will make holding drinks a lot more manageable.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
physical therapy, avoid chocolate milkshakes, get a trainer put it in front of a t.v. catch up with movies you wanted to watch, have freinds over if they don't want to come over bribe them with you pain meds..... get out and hobble around places (i was lucky it was summer when i was down).
video games.... bleh.....