Quantcast

80% of Americans (polled) want You to give up your S U V

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Poll: 8 in 10 Want Drivers to Drop SUVs
Associated Press | Sep 15 | WILL LESTER

WASHINGTON - Eight in 10 people say it's important for Americans now driving sport utility vehicles to switch to more fuel-efficient vehicles to reduce the nation's dependence on oil, a poll found.

With gas prices hovering around $3 a gallon nationally and the price of natural gas rising sharply, six in 10 said they are not confident President Bush is taking the right approach to solving the nation's energy problems, according to the survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press.

Given several choices for dealing with energy problems, the public has some clear preferences:

_Almost seven in 10 want the government to establish price controls on gasoline and want more spending on subway, rail and bus systems.

_Just over seven in 10 want to give tax cuts to companies to develop wind, solar and hydrogen energy.

_Just over eight in 10 want higher fuel efficiency required for cars, trucks and SUVs.

_Slightly more than half, 52 percent, favor giving tax cuts to energy companies to explore for more oil.

The rising anxiety over high gas prices has caused a shift in public priorities about the importance of exploring for new energy.

Almost six in 10 now say exploring for new sources of energy is more important than protecting the environment. People were evenly split on that question in 2002. Half now support drilling for oil and gas in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska _ up from 42 percent who felt that way in March.

Only four in 10 wanted to promote the increased use of nuclear power, while slightly more than half opposed that step.

The Pew poll of 1,523 adults was taken Sept. 8-11 and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
N8 said:
Poll: 8 in 10 Want Drivers to Drop SUVs
Associated Press | Sep 15 | WILL LESTER
Almost six in 10 now say exploring for new sources of energy is more important than protecting the environment. People were evenly split on that question in 2002. Half now support drilling for oil and gas in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska _ up from 42 percent who felt that way in March.
I get it now, that Bush is a smart cookie.. By screwing the nation he has gained support for destroying the environment. That is amazing! I gotta hand it to him, he definitely is smarter than he seems.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Motionboy2 said:
I get it now, that Bush is a smart cookie.. By screwing the nation he has gained support for destroying the environment. That is amazing! I gotta hand it to him, he definitely is smarter than he seems.

He also controls the weather....

:evil:

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
_Slightly more than half, 52 percent, favor giving tax cuts to energy companies to explore for more oil.
Brilliant. When told we're using up oil too fast, more half the population thinks the best solution is searching for more. Talk about short sighted.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Its a trap by the arab establishment... They drive gas prices up forcing us to build and expand expensive public transportation systems causing massive record breaking use of said systems... then they bomb the piss out of them.

:puts on tin foil hat: :dancing:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
golgiaparatus said:
Its a trap by the arab establishment... They drive gas prices up forcing us to build and expand expensive public transportation systems causing massive record breaking use of said systems... then they bomb the piss out of them.

:puts on tin foil hat: :dancing:
ROOFLE!

That's the best vesicle you've secreted yet.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
To be honest, a lot people in Southern California who drive SUVs and big trucks can't even afford to drive them right now. You have to love people who buy cars they can't afford...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
blt2ride said:
You have to love people who buy cars they can't afford...
you should see all the 'playaz' here livin large 3 series biatch... 318i MO FO, yeah i sed 'I' fo injection boy... no sh1t... iz don t need no m3 fool...

iz gotz minez... :rolleyes:

i love it when americans take bmws back from here (germany) and then have to sell them when they get back home... they can t afford to keep them... repairs cost more than the expect / can afford... classic... but i m the kind of idiot that will laugh when gas costs 8 bucks a gallon... i have a few problems :)

VOLVO FOR LIFE

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I Are Baboon said:
We'll give up our SUV when the 65% of Americans that are overweight put down the fockin' fork. Deal? :)
Are you trying to put American farmers out of business? Why do you hate America?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
Bacon cooked right (*crispy*) would be difficult to eat with a fork. If a fork has bacon on it, it's probably not good bacon.
what if that forkful was of, say, a tasty salad liberally dotted w/ bacon?

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
It ain't what you drive. It's how often that counts. Short trip? Take the bike, maybe lose a couple. These folk in cars are as bad as SUVs if they drive a 1/2 mile to the store.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
ohio said:
Are you trying to put American farmers out of business? Why do you hate America?
That's a good point, a lot of people I see driving SUVs won't fit in anything else. As for the big trucks, I usually see short men gunning their trucks around town...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Fvckin Idiots:

Only four in 10 wanted to promote the increased use of nuclear power, while slightly more than half opposed that step.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
ok so how many of the 8 of 10 are self loathers, suv's make up like 40% of the vehicles on the road. I for one just traded in my GTI last night for and SUV, sorry but im not driving a frigging minivan or station wagon.

Nuclear power has come such a long way since 3 mile island and the uneducated masses will never let it come back to the US.

Im kinda split on drilling in the Arctic, I think someday we will have no choice too much of what we use in our everyday life requires petroleum and it isnt just gasoline. If the supply is truly finite we need to do something major and do it fast.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
jcr23 said:
what SUV?

oh that one... :D
It's not an SUV unless it has running boards, a leather interior, a bolt-on rhino guard, 2 screaming kids, and 5 empty seats.

What you've got there is an off-roader/4-by/jeep/truck/trail-rig.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
beestiboy said:
<snip>I for one just traded in my GTI last night for and SUV, sorry but im not driving a frigging minivan or station wagon.
Got some hangups, do we? ;)

<snip> If the supply is truly finite we need to do something major and do it fast.
Well the supply is for sure finite. I'm pretty sure we don't really know how finite at this point. It's very likely that the motherlode will be discovered again, we'll get complacent again, and we'll repeat this whole f***ing scenario again someday.

It's so predictable to be almost laughable. :rolleyes:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Almost laughable? I'd say everything about this is laughable.

People love to support causes, but will almost never put their money where their mouth is. They'll respond to a public poll about how much they hate SUV drivers, then get back into their SUV and drive a block back home. Then realize they forgot Atkins breakfast bars and drive right back.

The shortsighted answer of "explore for more oil!" is pretty funny, too. :rolleyes:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
<snip>

The shortsighted answer of "explore for more oil!" is pretty funny, too. :rolleyes:
Yeah - and the "tax breaks"......... come on people. A *modicum* of critical thought, please? If the price of oil is twice what it was, there is a huge PRIVATE incentive to explore.

Let the f***ing oil companies take the risk, not the goddam taxpayers. :mad:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
binary visions said:
Almost laughable? I'd say everything about this is laughable.

People love to support causes, but will almost never put their money where their mouth is. They'll respond to a public poll about how much they hate SUV drivers, then get back into their SUV and drive a block back home. Then realize they forgot Atkins breakfast bars and drive right back.

:stupid:

The sample size of the survey is too small to be meaningful IMO. You could find that number of people to agree on most anything you wanted.

Here's a likely actual stat - 90% of people not surveyed wouldn't give a $hit about any of the issues involving SUV's if the price of gas remained below $2 a gallon.

likwid

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
OpEd's with crappy polls make me want to stab people.

the many millions of americans are too goddamn fat to give up their SUV's

they can't fit in anything else