Quantcast

The garage frame building journey

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Made some decals with my Cricut and rattle can paint job. Not spending a lot because I don't know if it will hold up.View attachment 173102View attachment 173103

Looks great, is that a fade to clear coat?

My Chromag has a tinted clear finish. Little scratches or dings in the paint create little traces of black iron oxide under the neighboring paint that look a lot like lightning bolts, not the bubbly red rust one may expect.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I painted it white for the decals. Will paint it lavender this week and pull off the decals. Hope it comes off clean. The paint will help hide my welds.
Always wanted a lavender Fat Change team bike back in the day.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I painted it white for the decals. Will paint it lavender this week and pull off the decals. Hope it comes off clean. The paint will help hide my welds.
Always wanted a lavender Fat Change team bike back in the day.
I’m not very patiently waiting to see that MTB. Haha

I put Fluid Film inside my frames.

The local body shop guy said he would paint some frames for me. It’s a 2 minute bike ride away so that’s cool.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@sikocycles I like that color combo! The splatter isn’t overly done and tasteful too. Nice work! At the goggle factories they often use a tooth brush and thumb technique for splatter paint designs, btw.

Have you seen the technique using some plastic wrap dipped in paint for a sort of marbled look. A friend did a color transition with that and I think it looks nice.

I got a new machining toy on the Craigslist of Switzerland last week. A dividing table, I think it’s called or Plateau Diviseur or Rundtisch. It’s all in German when I bid on these things.

I‘m trying to make my jig a little easier to use when changing head angles. I started some curved slots and we’ll see if my idea makes any sense. I don’t need a huge adjustable range since I like either 63* or 64*. Reach is also a small window 455-475mm so I should be fine with some small curved slots for head angle and the t-slots for reach. The dividing table is pretty cool but I need to figure out the holes and spacing.

1D1450E7-1B4A-4BC1-ACA7-90FB00F39667.jpeg
D3A20E91-3EF1-432E-BBDA-6656D0FAC1C4.jpeg

I ordered some 19mm tubing and I think I want to try some split tt designs. Maybe an extremely low stand over x design of some sort? I dunno but I ordered some tubing in case I get a vision, haha.

I also ordered some 35mm tubing with a 1.2mm wall thickness in case I need more meat on the main pivot. Rather than gusset things if they move around I’d like to keep the clean lines and increase wall thickness. Also for a light electric moto build I want to do at some point. Like a Ducati trellis style something.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@sikocycles Check out his dust extraction setup on his belt grinder. Maybe that gives you some ideas for yours.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTf7igUsji1/?utm_medium=copy_link

Actually, I think i remember you saying you don’t have Instagram. In that case he made a system for dust extraction which you can move from underneath to on the side depend8ng on belt orientation. Pretty cool! I need to do something about mine….

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i hand painted winter camo on my old jackal frame back in the day. really liked how it came out. need to pay to unlock my photobucket for a few days so i can get all my old photos back...

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
How much uphill are you doing with this bike?
As little as possible. Or only when they make me. The 76* seat angle and firm suspension makes it a very comfortable climber actually. The DH casing tires are probably the biggest issue for climbing efficiency and my little bikes have those too.

Here’s one of the littler ones. That fork is a similar weight and height as the DH fork. The small diameter tubing with the dc fork allows for an incredible turning radius making uphill switchbacks easy (jokes).

BD56B67C-B6CD-47BC-879D-BAA8789051BB.jpeg

Attachments

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
How are the builds coming along fellas?

I got some 1.2mm x 35mm tubing just in case I want my main pivot to be stiffer and better supported as well as start on an lightweight electric mountain dirt bike concept. I’m thinking a 5kw and a 10kw version. Could be interesting to go through the learning/design process if I don’t burn the house down. I got a battery spot welder and too much confidence…. Anybody know about this stuff?

I‘d like to make something like this? I think I will store and charge it in a bbq though…
1658329D-E0CC-4113-958B-CB09DB415031.jpeg

I had a nice couple laps before watching the WC DH race yesterday. We are getting the trails ready for the season and half of one trail was totally rebuild and fluffy fresh!

I rode the shortest/smallest version of my bikes. The shorter and steeper one is really fun to ride because it is not as stable. I threw a 40 on there to see how it would feel and man is it is a lot of fun! Kinda sketchy but the right kind. Lots of action or maybe it just felt like it.

Haha, it was a beautiful day and this is the only photo I got….

9748C788-15D0-49F5-8A0B-360E02B48B88.jpeg

If it‘s not going to snow this winter then this will do just fine!
3580F523-94FB-4DC2-BF37-1C6742E971B3.jpeg

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Oh and one more thing… this stand design looks incredible for welding and access. I might add that to my list of slow cook projects.

I think I need to go find some cool old Italian framebuilding shops. Talking with some of these guys would be so cool. The Italian border is 40minutes from here and I’m sure there‘s some framebuilding going on between here and Milano. There has to be!

1648436251482.jpeg

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
I ordered some 19mm tubing and I think I want to try some split tt designs. Maybe an extremely low stand over x design of some sort? I dunno but I ordered some tubing in case I get a vision, haha.
Make sure to add some bracing between the twin top tubes.

I did one with twin top tubes and it was fine for seated smooth pedaling but when you stand and hammer it had a ton of flex. Mind you it was a funky frame I designed to haul the kids around. It did also spend some time with a 500w mid drive ebike kit on it.

If I was to do another like this I'd put some thin strips connecting the two tubes, this is what Curt Inglis does on his Retrotec's.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Make sure to add some bracing between the twin top tubes.

I did one with twin top tubes and it was fine for seated smooth pedaling but when you stand and hammer it had a ton of flex. Mind you it was a funky frame I designed to haul the kids around. It did also spend some time with a 500w mid drive ebike kit on it.

If I was to do another like this I'd put some thin strips connecting the two tubes, this is what Curt Inglis does on his Retrotec's.
Ok, thanks! Yeah, I keep thinking I would need a lot of bracing.

I am looking to do a high power mountain scooter thing so it would need to be extra stiff and solid. I was thinking of trellis style bracing or even some sheet metal skin bracing of some sort. I have been checking out the Retrotecs and other styles like that and looking at the bracing they are using.

I’m almost done mig welding in fresh metal patches into my rusty Land Cruiser. Final inspection is next week. I got shut down at inspections last month. Pretty soon I can get back to building bikes. The rusty mig patch welding doesn’t do it for me like the clean tig 4130 stuff!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Some thin sheet to tie them together should be enough as it's the side to side motion where it's a noodle.

When you say "high power mountain scooter" you mean something like this?

Haha, no.

Do you know Audric? The scooter guy in Whistler. He has one. I have ridden behind him on Aline and he shredded that thing. I’ve never tried one even if he asks me every year.

I manage the bike park trails and trailbuilders here and I currently use motorcycles and a Kranked ebike to make the rounds. It would be cool to try and make something to replace those. There would be a lot of new things to learn and attempt. I think I‘m up for it but I will probably make another MTB first.

Something like a Sur Ron, LMX or a Revx

It is a slow cook kind of project.
1648780349138.jpeg

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Ah that makes more sense. I don't know Audric but I've seen him in the park.

I assume you've found Endless Sphere?
The home of all crazy e-bike diy projects.

This wild thing popped up in the PB framebuilding thread. https://www.instagram.com/kuvalda_bikes/
The frame layout and shock layout would work in electric, I've not drawing it in Linkage but I assume you could get a proper progressive LR with that link set up.

I've gone down the rabbit hole of dreaming up a clone of the Rocky ebike motor layout using spare parts from my TSDZ2, guys have done lots of opensource work on the software for it. It would be the opposite of a Sur Ron, more like a DIY attempt at a Levo SL.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@shirk007 I do know endless sphere! Lots of interesting projects in there. I have helped 2 of them make their bikes more progressive. A lot of them know the electronics side but not chassis so it is a nice exchange.

You have access to a lot of gear for something like that where you are. Grin Technologies isn’t far from you and they make a bunch of nice stuff for diy ebikes.

If you are interested in different ideas…. Ask Bjorn Enga for a test ride on one of his bikes. He’s in Gibson and you could ride the old Coastal Crew trails from the Kranked videos if you want to try something in between an SL and a Sur Ron. I think they are incredibly fun. They are kind of taboo over there though, no?

This isn’t a priority for me though and it would never replace a normal bike. It is more of project/thing I have been thinking about and slowly acquiring bits and pieces. I‘m curious and the fire risk (72v 20ah diy battery) is the main reason I have gone so slowly on this one.

Also, my moldy back doesn’t let me ride as much as I used to so I like these projects to keep me entertained when I need to let my back recover.

Did you ever restart your frame? I think you have one that stalled out right?

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
The Grin stuff is a wealth of resources. I think my next commuter / family bike will use their GMAC hub and a phaserunner. Hide a mid sized battery in the downtube and have a port for external water bottle battery for more juice. Stealth build.

I do have a frame in progress that got sidelined at the start of Covid. Got back onto it here recently, I need it finished by the end of the month for the Pemberton Enduro. It's a Cotic copy with a flex seatstay 145ish travel. Will post up some pics.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
The Grin stuff is a wealth of resources. I think my next commuter / family bike will use their GMAC hub and a phaserunner. Hide a mid sized battery in the downtube and have a port for external water bottle battery for more juice. Stealth build.

I do have a frame in progress that got sidelined at the start of Covid. Got back onto it here recently, I need it finished by the end of the month for the Pemberton Enduro. It's a Cotic copy with a flex seatstay 145ish travel. Will post up some pics.
You could suff quite a few 20600 or 21700 cells in a dt. Check out the Lightning Rods motors.

A friend has built two frames with a Cotic rear end. Lambert Cycles on Instagram.

His workshop in in some vineyards in Bex at the bottom of some of my favorite trails around here. I rode there yesterday with @Lelandjt and we passed right by his barn/shop. Leland rode one of my frames and sent everything I put in front of him. He seemed to like the bike. Pretty fun!

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Hey framebuilding fellas,

The bikes are holding up! No cracks have been noticed and they feel real good. Here’s a couple pics from the last few days. We are not holding back and these things seem solid. Surprised and stoked!

Anybody do any framebuilding stuff lately? I’m getting ready to build another front triangle pretty soon here. These bikes are too fun to not have just one more!

The wife turned 43 so we spent the week doing laps and bbq.
6AFAC0FD-924C-4582-914C-78D52A006A4A.jpeg

Fresh tracks
698BB8D2-EE8E-4FE3-9EC9-7C17F7213946.jpeg

This one might be my favorite. Mullet, 170mm f&r, 63* HA, 345mm BB, 465mm Reach, 435mm or 450mm CS.
EA30A8C3-6E7D-4173-8F54-DC7BD41FED1D.jpeg

Making my jig stiffer and easier to adjust. It’s now stiffer but not easier to adjust….
1A873F2F-80C6-4FAC-8711-6E43F7CEDC00.jpeg

Early morning getting the bikes ready for some laps.
4FBFBF0E-4E14-46B8-9A9E-F98C3EBF906F.jpeg

The last snow made for perfect building conditions.
3BA6C03B-20CE-44DC-8BCE-21551C46A644.jpeg

5F45A659-FA4D-47E7-84CE-81E9E5565C6B.jpeg

7E3C3B6C-6635-46B1-B92D-C3A18D4EA44F.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I started a new one. I haven’t decided exactly what this one will be just yet. The seat tube assembly is the same on all of them so I can decide travel and geo later. I’m thinking DH bike or ebike. I have little and big trail bikes covered with the other frames.

DB58A2AA-96C2-460C-9FDD-C3F56024A163.jpeg

I didn’t clean everything as good as I have done in the past and I had some contamination. I was a little overconfident and I should take the time. I was thinking I might paint this one and that didn’t help my concentration making nice welds, haha.
86B1956C-F311-4B05-BA4E-4103DA3FF71E.jpeg

73ADB20E-86DC-475F-BABE-D835C44C29C5.jpeg

@sikocycles My frame jig makes me laugh when I think of yours. I started making some bits and didn’t get very far…
31806613-EBF8-4C92-B1F3-E9C3B6ECD46D.jpeg

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I started a new one. I haven’t decided exactly what this one will be just yet. The seat tube assembly is the same on all of them so I can decide travel and geo later. I’m thinking DH bike or ebike. I have little and big trail bikes covered with the other frames.
View attachment 175581
:clue: I spot something in the background. Did you get started making a new swing link and put an adult-sized shock on it?

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
A bit of time in the shop over the last week. As usual for me it's a panic to finish/fix a bike for an event.

The frame I have picked away at since spring 2020 wasn't going to be finished in time (fuck Covid) so I pulled the frame I built in 2019 down from the rafters to repair.

This is where the seattube hits a cross tube at the top of the shock tunnel. It was likely WAY overcooked when I brazed it all together and I altered the temper of the tube making it brittle. I struggle brazing thick to thin and end up putting in too much heat.

Brazed that all back together and added some little side wings on it that go from the seattube to the tunnel and put it all back together to get up to Pemby to race the Pemberton Enduro.

My pit crew always has my back. Side note I just realized one of the Chromag proto full suspension frames was sitting next to us when I snapped the photo.

Now I am eager to get back at it and build up the frame that has been stalled since the start of Covid.

shirk007

Monkey
Apr 14, 2009
Not yet.

@shirk007 That’s cool you got it running again! Did it hold up?
It did hold up. I have zero tire clearance with this Michelin Wild Enduro rear so there is LOTS of rub and it's going to eat the chainstays if I ride it too much. After about 1 minute of the first stage I stopped babying it and just rode. Pemby dirt is prime right now, soo good.

I'd also forgotten that I can't ride that thing in public without constant "what the hell is that?" questions.