Quantcast

83 mm bottom bracket for Saint/Zee cranks recommendation.

Dh builder

Chimp
Sep 30, 2013
I am looking for a 83 mm bottom bracket to use with Zee/Saint cranks. I searched online but could not find much information on this.

I see that shimano makes an 83mm bottom bracket called Shimano Saint M815. Will this work with Saint cranks? I have not seen many reviews on this and it seems very inexpensive.

http://www.cycleclubsports.com/p-170131-shimano-saint-m815825-83mm-bottom-bracket-unit.aspx?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=shopping&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CNTthbOh9LkCFY6Y4AodXSAAew

Is there a recommended and highly used bottom bracket brand that most downhillers use for 83mm?

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Unless you're going to spring for something like a King, just get a Shimano bb, like the one in your link.

Edit to confirm, yes, the one in your link will work with Saint/Zee cranks for an 83mm bb.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
the BB cups themselves are not specific to any length spindle. Meaning, you can use any Shimano BB cup/bearing with their cranks, and if you want the internal plastic sleeve you can always use the one you already have.

btw: I use the Saint BB with Saint cranks.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
There are only 2 main types of external BBs, Shimano compatible and Sram compatible. 68/73 or 83mm only matters if your frame's BB shell has holes leading to the other tubes in which case you may want to use the seal included with a 83mm BB to keep water out.

Off the top of my head Shimano compatible BBs are made by Shimano, Chris King, FSA, and Raceface. I don't see any significant difference among them.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Enduro bearings in your old cups. Cheaper than a new BB (and less wasteful), better sealed than the OEM units, and they dispense with the stupid plastic spacer between the bearing and spindle.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
HAB-

thats a really good idea actually. that was the one section of the site that ive never checked out.. although it seems like they're doing what they usually do: gotta buy a tool with your new stuff.

how useful is that $120 dollar tool? is there a cheaper option out there?

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
I bet you could bang the old bearings out with a socket and hammer with the cup supported over a vice and press the new bearings in with a really big socket (needed to push on the outer race) and vice. I intend to try this the next time I need fresh BB bearings. However, I never kill BBs cuz I don't pressure wash and I pop the seals off and re-grease the bearings a couple times a year. The FSA on my XC bike is 7 years old.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I bet you could bang the old bearings out with a socket and hammer with the cup supported over a vice and press the new bearings in with a really big socket (needed to push on the outer race) and vice. I intend to try this the next time I need fresh BB bearings. However, I never kill BBs cuz I don't pressure wash and I pop the seals off and re-grease the bearings a couple times a year. The FSA on my XC bike is 7 years old.
I've done a few ghetto style like that. It isn't hard.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
^You'll destroy the old bearing by pushing on the inner race but so long as you put the new one in by only pressing on the outer race, no problem. While the shops I work at have bearing presses and pullers there's times when nothing is fitting so the hammer, sockets, and vice come out.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
^You'll destroy the old bearing by pushing on the inner race but so long as you put the new one in by only pressing on the outer race, no problem. While the shops I work at have bearing presses and pullers there's times when nothing is fitting so the hammer, sockets, and vice come out.
True, but if you're replacing them,the bearings are presumably toast anyway.