Quantcast

831 setup

Jul 29, 2009
i've fitted an 831 onto my mob
at the moment i haven't changed the 100 psi air pressure, but i'm on full low speed compression (lsp)
the manual only says that the fork should feel right, and that frankly leaves me without a clue

how do i set it up?
do i start with no lsp and put air in it until i cant bottom it and then adjust the lsp until i get a workable balance between diving and suspension? i dont (think i) need suspension unless i'm landing
or is the air pressure dependent on the lsp setting?
and if i use the lock out feature, is that another set of settings or is it the same? will it bottom and use full travel at the same air pressure? is lsp something i should worry about if i decide to use the lock out feature?
and then rebound should be set last right?

any hints might be helpfull
thank you
rasmus

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Mine is slammed to 80mm, but this is how i run my setup.

I have very little air in it, unsure of the PSI at the moment, but if its not locked out, it sags 50% of the travel, and easily bottoms out. (i do this so when i cruise to the trails, its nice and soft on the ride in (very rooty) When im actually riding it, i keep it "locked" out. This makes the fork feel PERFECT for me, its very stiff, but not actually locked. Its nice because it wont compress when you takeoff, but it will when you land. I find it makes it feel like a refined marz DJ fork. This is what i would try, to see if you like it. Once you flip the knob to locked, that makes it ride like a DJ fork, adjust your air after its LOCKED accordingly.

80mm on a superco.

*to get the same affect i tried to boost up the air to make it feel nice FOR ME, on my killswitch which is NOT locked, and since you have to use too much air, it actually starts to lengthen as the limit springs take some loading-i have found that the only way to make it stiff and progressive is to lock it out.

PS fox isnt much help on the phone

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
i set mine up for about 35% sag when standing, higher end of the rebound setting, lower compression setting, i dont know exactly how many clicks, then similar to demo, i run the lockout fully on when im really slamming it.

Really all it takes is like what fox says, you will just eventually get it set to feeling right. what feels off for you. I would start by adjusting the pressure. so that you get around 25-40% sag find what feels good from there, then adjust the rebound and compression settings to get it finally dialed in.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
im sure you know what youre doing, but i seem to remember being told by somebody from fox that there is a 150 psi max on all their forks
pretty sure its way less than even that, i think its sub 100 for the 831, i pumped one of mine up to 110 and it stretched the fork's top out spring. It now sits at 110-120 with only 100mm of spacers in it, be careful if you overpressure it