Quantcast

83mm BB. and cranksets! database (weights, lengths, prices)

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Well after bending a couple of hussefelt cranksets my giant faith is asking for a new 83x128mm BB. crankset.

I will try to list the options in the market: if you can add the weigth, the average price, or other models that i forget, do it.

FSA Cranks/BB - Gravity Lite MegaExo

Shimano Saints 83mm

Race Face Diavolous 83mm

Deity Vendetta (ti axle opiton)
287g non-drive
317g drive .........plus axle (weight?) a E13 super spider 108g. Or a deity 38t sproket 140g.

Fsa Platinum DH BB isis. and add the isis crank of your choice. (middleburns is the lightest option i guess?)

Then there is a Trauvativ 128/83mm BB. the giga pipe dh.

Other option is the Profile 6inch axle bb. and a random crankset plus the spider or the sprocket.

that is all i got so far.

I'm looking foward to make of this a informative and objetive thread. So please leave your personal opinions or discussions aside.

cheers

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Raceface Ride DH
Raceface Evolve
Raceface Atlas AM
MRP Bones and Bones Lite

(I'm a bit skeptical of the G-Lites and will let some others try them first. In the 800 grams and made of 6061 makes me hesitant.)

As for all that other info, eh... I'm not about to look it up. However, the Bones Lites are supposedly 856grams with the BB.

Oh, and you can run Bontrager Big Earls with a 83mm Howitzer

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Sicklines has pics of a few parts on a scale. Unfortunatly they are not all weighed the same..some with bb, smoe without, some with one chainring and bash, some with no rings, so it is not exactly comparing apples to apples.

Those MRP lites look scary. An aluminum tube with pedal and spindle bosses welded in......

howitzer bb is a tank and makes the OCT/howitzer combo pretty heavy even though the arms are faily light.

FUNN makes an 83mm option but they are heavy as well (1100+ ish grams with bb).

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the howizer system from sram is pretty sweet. i just got them for me new dh bike. its pretty much a much improved isis. the precision of the fit is much greater than isis use to be.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
the howizer system from sram is pretty sweet. i just got them for me new dh bike. its pretty much a much improved isis. the precision of the fit is much greater than isis use to be.
They do fit Very well, The instructions were also very clear on how to set up,I had no problems with my e13 Drs on the 68mm shell. I am glad though that they are as particular to chainline as they are.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the g-lights are light. they are comparable to xc isis cranks in the weight department but my concern with those cranks would be their strength as they are very light and not all the expensive.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
my g-lights are awesome...and they are around 900-950g.
....and how long have you been racing/dh'ing on them so far...?

Sorry, just getting tired of all the people writing short useless reviews because of all the new goodies they've got this off-season.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
the g-lights are light. they are comparable to xc isis cranks in the weight department but my concern with those cranks would be their strength as they are very light and not all the expensive.
That as my concern as well with the G-lites. not bad for a budget crank, but just cant see how they would hold up over the long run. I am stillw aiting to see a reveiw that has them holding up for a couple years

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
Gravity and Gap are available in 83mm as well, so that's three from FSA counting the Gravity Light.

Shocking and Gnaring = Gravity
Racing and AM = Gravity Light
Budget = Gap

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
the only time i could really see worrying about the g lites is if you were to smack 'em on rocks enough. that said, i'm thinking that next time i might try to find something that is in between the weight of gaps and the gravity lights, i just want to be able to take some crashes and ride anywhere i want without having to worry too much.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
I have a pair of g-lites on both my Sunday and my asx (with reduced travel...sits at 11.75").

After a full season of racing on the lites on my Sunday, and driving the cranks into quite a few rocks, I am impressed. They are definitely ready for a 2nd season as they are showing far fewer signs of wear/tear than my diabolus off my giant showed after only one season of racing.

Now on my little bike, I have hit the g-lites on more rocks than with my Sunday and they are doing great. I think I have found one of my favorite cranksets...of course, I would love to try out some XTs on my Sunday but that just isn't a reality... :(

I did have my reservations about the lites but thus far I have no complaints!

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
the only time i could really see worrying about the g lites is if you were to smack 'em on rocks enough.

that's exactly what i did to the g-lights on my IH 6point. i hooked the non-drive side speedplay pedal on a lava rock. it stopped my bike dead, i got tossed. when i got back on the bike, my non-driveside gravety light crank arm was bent/twisted, but the pedal was fine. i wasn't really going that fast either. now i'm rollin' a mismatched crankset....

i'm seriously considering the deiti vendetta cranks for my 6point.
it'd be interesting to see an apples to apples weight comparison between the g-lights and the vendettas.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
what's the final weight on vendettas once completely set up? i do like the simplicity of external bb setups instead of the 3 piece things, but it seems like there isn't really isn't anything that's light and super strong.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
My vandettas worked out just a smidge lighter than the profiles they replaced in the same config.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
After I hitted my left pedal to adead stop with big rock, I bended the hussefelt (6061 al) crankarm and got the steel pedal insert loose.
So i figured out that: 1)The Azonic A frame pedal spindle is Great.
2) The FSA isis BB is Strong.
3)I don't want 6061 al cranks anymore
4) I don't want cranks with steel pedal inserts.
5) I'm not Sam hill and i can't change bent
cranksets every race.

So I'm really looking foward to know the weight of the 83mm vendettas with BB. so i can compare with Saints and decide what to get.
cheers

PD: anyone know the MSRP of the vendettas??

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I ran saints for 2.5 years and they were covered in deep scrapes and looked trashed. they always worked bang on and I never had a single problem with them.
i want something lighter with external bearings but I just dont think FSA can match the quality of shimano and Im sure that grav lites will not last me 2.5 years!

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
Im sure that grav lites will not last me 2.5 years!

my non-drive side g-light was done after it's first major rock hit....less than 6 months old.

the drive side crank is still going strong. i'm rockin' a truvativ hasslehoffer on the non-drive side now.:monkeydance:

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
my non-drive side g-light was done after it's first major rock hit....less than 6 months old.

the drive side crank is still going strong. i'm rockin' a truvativ hasslehoffer on the non-drive side now.:monkeydance:
you must be talking about the old g-lites. the isis ones w/o the exo bearings. those sucked. the new ones are better.

I just dont think FSA can match the quality of shimano and Im sure that grav lites will not last me 2.5 years!
is this a joke?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I’ve bended so many crancks...
But now for the last year I'm on raceface diabloas x type and they are so strong! Had lots of crashes on rocks with them and they hold on great (on my sunday)

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
oh, sriracha i thought you were talking about megaexo model. hmm, maybe they're still on my list...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
After I hitted my left pedal to adead stop with big rock, I bended the hussefelt (6061 al) crankarm and got the steel pedal insert loose.
So i figured out that: 1)The Azonic A frame pedal spindle is Great.
2) The FSA isis BB is Strong.
3)I don't want 6061 al cranks anymore
4) I don't want cranks with steel pedal inserts.
5) I'm not Sam hill and i can't change bent
cranksets every race.

So I'm really looking foward to know the weight of the 83mm vendettas with BB. so i can compare with Saints and decide what to get.
cheers

PD: anyone know the MSRP of the vendettas??

The new hussefelt and hozfeller cranks are 7075 aluminum, and do not have the steel insterts. Dont hesitate to grab the new ones, much stronger

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
oh, sriracha i thought you were talking about megaexo model. hmm, maybe they're still on my list...

yeah, i wasn't aware that there was a new megaexo version....FWIW, my ISIS driveside g-light is still good and i continue to use it.

Gopher

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
Spokane WA
Im running a set of old premium bmx cranks 175mm with a profile 6 3/4 ti spindle which is the one for a 83mm bb im using them with some extra spacers in my 73mm bb shell right now. I will never run another set of fsa gravitys almost everyone at my shop has broken or bent a set last season including me 3 pairs i hate them my old hollzfellers were better. My bmx crank set up is much lighter than my old gravity set up and loads stronger. We The People makes 48 spline arms in a 165mm and the 6 3/4 spindle can still be found just keep an eye out for them or call profile directly.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
Lightest 83mm crank setup that I can think of would be the following:
FSA Carbon Pro BMX arms
Lightest Ti spindle possible
FSA BB-1000 with ceramic bearings

It should come out to about 650 grams w/out a chainring.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i would also say that shimano has the highest quality of any crank manufacture on the market at the moment. that said though i don't currently run a set of their cranks

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
I've broken every pair of shimano cranks I've ever owned. As for weight savings, drop a few pounds. Why compromise safety with stupid light components that WILL FAIL. It's easy to loose 5lbs. Try taking 5 lbs. out of a bike. Ain't happening.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Shimano needs to make a fricken 83mm version of the 2-ring Hone crankset (Steel spindle, Steel pedal inserts). And no, the Saint is not the answer to that. The hones are rediculously stiff and strong, not to mention really fricken light and cheap. I have a set on my hardtail that i originally was going to put on my DH race bike, but found out it was 83mm when it came and had to put em on my Hardtail.

Please listen ****mano

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I'm looking on QBP, but an only seen Gravity cranks with 22/32/bash options. Do they not off a single ring version? Does this mean I have to grind off the granny ring tabs to make it work with my chainguide, or does it clear? Input anyone?