Quantcast

83mm bb shell with a 73 mm bb?

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
Hey guys, I have a question regarding bottom brackets.

I was wondering if it's possible to be able to use a King BB with a 83 mm bb shell. On the site it says it is compatible with 68 and 73mm shells. But I don't understand why it wouldn't work. If the spindle is long enough, what difference does it make what size the bb is? Somebody care to explain.

Basically, all I want to know if I can use that flashy king 73mm bb with a 83mm bb shell.

Thanks guys.:cheers:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Hey guys, I have a question regarding bottom brackets.

I was wondering if it's possible to be able to use a King BB with a 83 mm bb shell. On the site it says it is compatible with 68 and 73mm shells. But I don't understand why it wouldn't work. If the spindle is long enough, what difference does it make what size the bb is? Somebody care to explain.

Basically, all I want to know if I can use that flashy king 73mm bb with a 83mm bb shell.

Thanks guys.:cheers:
if you have an 83mm 2 piece/hollowtech crankset then yes I would assume it would work except for the plastic seal/spacer that goes between the cups (it would be too short).

But King has certainly been known to make up their own standards and semi-compatible products (poor headset design, cassette body drag, self loosening hubs, cassette incompatibility, etc)...insisting that the rest of the industry is at fault for not adhering to 'the king way'.

Personally I would not give them my any of $$..... especailly for a product for use on a FR/DH bike, something they have proven they don't know, nor are interested in, knowing any thing about...