Quantcast

83mm Saints and E13, How many Spacers?

j-posch

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
Fitting some saints 83mm to my V10 and an E13 SRS. Just done a search to find out how many spacers to use?(no instructions). Can't find an answer, but a load of info saying I need to seriously modify the chainguide and cranks and also my saint chainring won't fit, is this still correct? as the post was from 2003. Cheers

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Fitting some saints 83mm to my V10 and an E13 SRS. Just done a search to find out how many spacers to use?(no instructions). Can't find an answer, but a load of info saying I need to seriously modify the chainguide and cranks and also my saint chainring won't fit, is this still correct? as the post was from 2003. Cheers
You need a SRS W-40 back plate. It will give you the proper rotation on the guide. If you have that then it will just be a matter of spacing it correctly. That depends on the relation between the BB shell and chainguide tabs. It will probably take some trial and error, but 1 or 2 of the thinner washers that come with the chainguide should do it. Your Saint ring should work fine - it's not overly thick and it doesn't have a big step.

j-posch

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
You need a SRS W-40 back plate. It will give you the proper rotation on the guide. If you have that then it will just be a matter of spacing it correctly. That depends on the relation between the BB shell and chainguide tabs. It will probably take some trial and error, but 1 or 2 of the thinner washers that come with the chainguide should do it. Your Saint ring should work fine - it's not overly thick and it doesn't have a big step.
Sorry I mean't the shimano spacers, the ones that go between the frame and bb cups?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
You won't need to modify your chainguide at all. The Saint chainring however, is not really ideal for chainguide use. The Saint chainring is designed so that it pushes the chainline too far away from the bashguard on most chainguides. It can work, but you would be a lot better off with a guide ring.

I recommend the W40 backplate for the V10. The W40 was designed specifically for the V10 and M3/M6, and other bikes with super dropped chainstays. That doesn't mean that the stock backplate won't work, it will, and just as well as if not better than any other chainguide's stock backplate. The W40 just lets you dial it in that much more on super dropped chainsty bikes like the V10.

BTW, the LG1 works perfectly with the stock saint chainring becuase there is no external bashguard.

If you are using an ISCG 05 adaptor plate that came with your guide, then replace the outboard driveside spacer with the adaptor plate.

Saints typically set up with one black spacer at each bolt between the ISCG 05 tabs and backplate.

Hope this helps.