Quantcast

888 Boredom!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Please help me. I just rode my new 888 all weekend, and it works perfect out of the box. I don't have anything to tune.
And I can't even use my expensive drill to make it any better.
I got the rebound and compression perfect after my first run on it, and now I do not know what to do with my time. Maybe I should take up fantasy league --------- (insert lame sport here). Those douches waste a ton of time on that stuff.;)

We did 15 runs at Sky Valley's DH course on Saturday, and I rode it on some local trails today. So this not a review, just a first impression. The thing is Smooth!! I don't mean plush like when I push down on it in my living room. I mean the damping is super smooth on the trail! Its strange, nothing upsets the fork. It is super stiff, but I think the damping has more to do with how well it tracks more than anything. I know it is still breaking in, but it does not feel overly plush, like it is using too much travel for certain hits. It just sucks up the bumps and keeps plowing.
As far as the much talked about height. I got the 7" version and it is no taller than Butch's Boxxer with the drop crown. It gave my DHR a 14.6 BB height, which is the exact spec it is supposed to be. Oh well, here are a couple of pics from the local trails today.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by Jeremy R
Please help me. I just rode my new 888 all weekend, and it works perfect out of the box. I don't have anything to tune.
I got the rebound and compression perfect after my first run on it, and now I do not know what to do with my time. Maybe I should take up fantasy league --------- (insert lame sport here). Those douches waste a ton of time on that stuff.;)
You could buy some Hope brakes.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
no mo slider?

I've been curious about that 888 fork with that frame..........for some reason.............

If you're bored, just let me know. I'll take a leak in the rebound leg. I did it to dhtahoe's fork and he's been busy ever since.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fantasy league boxxer tuning!!!

Ok..for 2004 I'm going to set up a bling bling boxxer WC with the metal rebound base valve,rockoil 2.5 wt rebound oil, 10wt compression. Oil levels to 123mm from the top. Yeller springs. Rebound will be turned 7 out of 9 "clicks". Internal high speed compression ajuster will get 2 turns. Low speed compression ajuster 3 turns. Duke air-caps will be fitted to the top, and 3psi will be run for bottoming protection and progressiveness. Blackbox stickers will make it ultra fast, and romic crown tops it all off...

It's a sport within a sport.

Oh yeah, I'm back!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That looks sweet.

As for what to do with your time, I'm running out of time wasting activities myself so I've recently taken up clipping tires :D

No, what you should ACTUALLY do with your time is ride the snot out of that Turner, untill it starts breaking/requiring maintinance... Looks like you've got that covered though...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver

We did 15 runs at Sky Valley's DH course on Saturday, and I rode it on some local trails today. So this not a review, just a first impression. The thing is Smooth!! I don't mean plush like when I push down on it in my living room. I mean the damping is super smooth on the trail! Its strange, nothing upsets the fork. It is super stiff, but I think the damping has more to do with how well it tracks more than anything. I know it is still breaking in, but it does not feel overly plush, like it is using too much travel for certain hits. It just sucks up the bumps and keeps plowing.
As far as the much talked about height. I got the 7" version and it is no taller than Butch's Boxxer with the drop crown. It gave my DHR a 14.6 BB height, which is the exact spec it is supposed to be. Oh well, here are a couple of pics from the local trails today.
Your knee armor slips down too much.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Originally posted by binary visions
That looks sweet.

As for what to do with your time, I'm running out of time wasting activities myself so I've recently taken up clipping tires :D
OMG, that takes forever. I use the little end clips. It takes me a good "Lord of the Rings" movie to get through one tire.:p

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
you should post the picture of you last year at Charlotte pedaling...that's a better photo...more humorous too.

granted you still look like you're about to drop rabbit pellets course side...;)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Originally posted by SinatorJ
You are still a chump...
I bet you got that ghey azz pink "Fat City" bucket hat on your head right now don't you? Or did it finally just evaporate one day in the Arizona sun. That thing has got more wear than Jenna Jameson's fun parts.;)

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
...you know I think I lost that hat last time I moved, maybe for the best. Gettin my tix for WV today, c-ya there. Wouldn't miss the hilbilly stomp for the world

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
[BI rode with a guy this weekend that had the 6 pots on the front.
They looked super sweet. He said they are taking forever to break in. [/B]
That's because he doesn't ride much:D
(I just want to see if he lurks over here.)

BTW, J, I could barely walk yesterday. I couldn't get anyone to massage my groin muscle after that crash.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Originally posted by Peete
That's because he doesn't ride much:D
(I just want to see if he lurks over here.)

BTW, J, I could barely walk yesterday. I couldn't get anyone to massage my groin muscle after that crash.
Yeah, too bad Jeff was not there, eh?:devil:
Hope you feel better.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Well, it's a good thing that you are running that tall fork to compensate for that notoriously low BB. That combo might make everything "right" again.....good job.

Just goes to show you "two defects do make a right." :eek: :D

I am kidding of course. But the 888 is taller than needed and the Turner does have a low BB....match made in heaven. :rolleyes: :D

Nice job linking a 888 post to Acadians Hope bleeding difficulties....now are there any other open wounds we can pour salt on? lol

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Had to work and have been riding the 20"...took a lap on Brady's big bike yesterday at the BMX track and got the itch bad again (not the kind you caught on your "cruises", Pete). I'm finally gonna build up my bike next week and hope to do Sky onSunday the 8th. We'll keep you posted.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
Originally posted by JeffD
Had to work and have been riding the 20"...took a lap on Brady's big bike yesterday at the BMX track and got the itch bad again (not the kind you caught on your "cruises", Pete). I'm finally gonna build up my bike next week and hope to do Sky onSunday the 8th. We'll keep you posted.
Sheeet, the only itch I got was from your facial hair.
And I still can't believe you left the FSR mafia.
We'll just have to see if that Balfa takes care of that "itch".

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Originally posted by bigkonarider
Do you have another bike for dirt jumps & or trail--
Or do you ride the DH only ??
Just curious....
Re-doing BIGFOOT jump place... next SUNDAY !!
Show up & express any input-if it makes a difference?
Winrock is getting paved better !!
Things are looking great...
Next all we need is a chairlift & helicopter !!!
LATER------
a homie from Kodak,TN
No, I have a trail bike as well.
I just don't have anything set up as a DJing rig.
I will get one in the future I hope. I'll be back up
at Windrock as soon as its clear.

And T-pirate, thx for showing me all your trails, jumps, mini-cape etc... and for taking pics too.

Originally posted by Jm_
Fantasy league boxxer tuning!!!

Ok..for 2004 I'm going to set up a bling bling boxxer WC with the metal rebound base valve,rockoil 2.5 wt rebound oil, 10wt compression. Oil levels to 123mm from the top. Yeller springs. Rebound will be turned 7 out of 9 "clicks". Internal high speed compression ajuster will get 2 turns. Low speed compression ajuster 3 turns. Duke air-caps will be fitted to the top, and 3psi will be run for bottoming protection and progressiveness. Blackbox stickers will make it ultra fast, and romic crown tops it all off...

It's a sport within a sport.

Oh yeah, I'm back!

but it makes feel so much more connected with the bike......;)

cricket. it's the sport of the future...or was it the past....anyway you will have lots of fun playing those 2-3 day games.