Quantcast

888 Crowns?

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Lookin to get flat crowns for my 8" 888 (currently on a turner dhr) I was gonna get the risse crowns because they're the cheapest, but people are saying they're garbage, so which crowns should i get, the zocchis, go-ride, or risse? If there's already a post somewhere bout this then just point me there. thanks.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Love my go-rides, but don't know too much about the Zoke version. And I'm not worried about the warranty issue, we all know Zoke has great customer service!!

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
bought the fork used so the warranty is not a issue cuz thats gone, some people were saying that the risses aren't very strong etc but i can't see why they would be weaker?

Apr 26, 2004
Anyone know if the lower flat crown will hit the downtube on a DHR with a zero stack headset? You know, just like the 40s do.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
dude some zipties and ductape will fix that prob. but if your not good with zip ties i would get the zocchi ones. just cause that makes the most since. i would think the fork company would know how to make crowns for there own forks better than some shop (although it is go ride though). either way you go i have heard no complaints out of either goride or zocchis.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
frznnomad said:
dude some zipties and ductape will fix that prob. but if your not good with zip ties i would get the zocchi ones. just cause that makes the most since. i would think the fork company would know how to make crowns for there own forks better than some shop (although it is go ride though). either way you go i have heard no complaints out of either goride or zocchis.
you do know that marzocchi usa isnt the same company as marzocchi italy right? thats why they are aftermarket and not stock

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
S.K.C. said:
Risse crowns might have a downside.

For example:
http://www.hcor.net/postt23202.html

Scroll down til' you see the pictures...

Looks like a pretty hairy experience... :eek:

those i got direct from risse for the guy there whos a peruvian friend of mine, they were from the first batch and risse is sending me new ones, problem with them was what brian mentioned, too little material, so as long as you get them direct from risse you should be ok.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
acair422 said:
so basically the first batch of crowns were **** and all the other ones (from risse) are fine?
Without getting a close up of which one it is I'm asuming it's the first generation one in the pic. I haven't heard or seen failure in the current one.

here are pics of the 2 so you can see the difference.

Attachments

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
gazeebos love said:
Anyone know if the lower flat crown will hit the downtube on a DHR with a zero stack headset? You know, just like the 40s do.
Yes, just barely, but yes. Ours and the Marzo crowns hit the DHR with a zero-stack HS, don't know about the Risses though.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
hmm thats interesting cuz i have a zero stack headset....what can i do to avoid the crowns hitting...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Brian HCM#1 said:
Without getting a close up of which one it is I'm asuming it's the first generation one in the pic. I haven't heard or seen failure in the current one.

here are pics of the 2 so you can see the difference.

nice pics of the 1st and 2nd generation. What were they thinking with that 1st generation? WTF

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Kanter said:
nice pics of the 1st and 2nd generation. What were they thinking with that 1st generation? WTF
They were mistakes and some made it out of Risse :eek: The second I got mine I called them on it, as scary as it was I rode mine a few times then traded it in for the newer one when it was available.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
acair422 said:
hmm thats interesting cuz i have a zero stack headset....what can i do to avoid the crowns hitting...
Use the stock bumpers in combination with the little rubber trapezoid guys you put on the bottom of a VCR, you can buy them at Circuit City, Radio Shack, Sears, etc. Put them on your frame where the bumpers hit it.

You can sort of see mine from my Tomac, they're placed right at the end of the wing on the Tomac logo.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
the upper crown of risse is still somewhat small clamping area around the steerer tube, is that ok?

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
acair422 said:
Should i get the crowns from risse for 150, or buy them off someone (brand new) for 110?
i got some off the 110 dealer... stand up fella... go for it......................................................................................

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I know a few people who are running the Risse crowns with no problems--go figure. Well, the good news is that the 2006 888s are coming with the flat crowns, stock.