Quantcast

888 Evo vs. Fox 40 vs. Dorado

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
With a little bit of luck I'll have a 2011 Demo 8 in my garage waiting to be built up in a month or so. I've got everything but a fork. I'm 6'5" 230.

I'm thinking of either a 40 or a Dorado. Although the 888 Evo (non Ti) is tempting since it is way cheaper. Boxxers really don't interest me.

The biggest turn off to both the 40 and the Dorado is not being able to service the fork myself. After looking at the bleeding instructions for the 40 there is no way in hell I want to tackle that. The Dorado seems as though it needs to be sent to the factory to get worked.

To finish my ramble off, are the 40 and Dorado that much better than 888 Evo to justify the extra cost?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Well, Boxxers are a winner in the self serviceability department, but if you don't want one...

The 888 is stupid easy to work on too. Haven't ridden a Dorado, so I can't say much about them, but I prefer a 40 by a pretty healthy margin to the 888. Though for my money, I'd do a Boxxer Team. Which is exactly what I did.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
You do not need to send the Dorado anywhere to work on it. The rebuilds are just part of the warranty/service package when you buy a new one.

I would even say it's easier/faster to work on than a 888. Open bath system.

Bleeding a 40 damper isn't that bad, but there's no denying that it's more labor intensive than the other two. Also the bladders cause a pretty damn short service interval compared to the other options.

If your cost is significantly less on the 888 and you just want pure simplicity and reliability along with performance, then there's your answer. I can definitely say the damping on the Dorado is superior to basically anything else offered though.

There's not really anything about the 40 that could sell me over the 888's or a Dorado if you plan on putting any serious hours on the fork. I do like that they got rid of the fork penis on the 2011's.

Maybe my #1 mistake is to read a DIRT Magazine review, but damn, they made the Marzocchi 888 Evo Ti sound like the best thing since sliced bread. If the EVO is just missing the Ti spring and hardware, but the same performance, it would seem the price/performance ratio is hard to beat.

If money was no object, then the dorado would be the winner.:D

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Single air valve at the top. They did away with the one way thing for the aluminum version I think. You won't be having to buy stiffer coils for that fork like a 888 or 40 either. Forgot about that.

The Dorado definitely flexes more. No way around that. One of the new 888's with nice tight bushings is fuggin stiff. REALLY stiff. Honestly so stiff that it can pull itself up the sides of ruts when you don't want it to sometimes.

Personally, I love the way the Dorado flexes. I've owned Shivers and older style Dorado's before - this doesn't try to take its own line like the old ones. After spending a couple months on the fork I can honestly say the flex is helping me go faster and pick lines I couldn't before, especially in chopped up corners. The only time I notice it while riding is when it's actually helping me hit sketchy slanted rock sections straighter. I seriously cannot recall a single instance where the front end has wanted to deflect off line way out of my control, where it has actually been a problem for me with forks like the 888's or 40's in the past because they were so rigid, especially while leaned over on flat corners.

I've heard some other riders mention they notice a tiny bit of "lag" while diving into a deep well-supported berm due to the flex, but I haven't noticed it. I built up a new bike with the fork and it behaves so different than anything else I've ridden that I could never attribute something minute like that to the fork, or any other part of the bike. Also the new bike corners snappier and more stable than anything I've ever thrown a leg over so again, hard to detect.

That is stricltly personal preference though. I think it has a lot to do with how you are weighting the front of the bike and what your grip on the bars is like. I'm sure there is even more that goes into why it might work great for someone and just flat out piss off another rider. Sure as hell works for me though.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Maybe my #1 mistake is to read a DIRT Magazine review, but damn, they made the Marzocchi 888 Evo Ti sound like the best thing since sliced bread. If the EVO is just missing the Ti spring and hardware, but the same performance, it would seem the price/performance ratio is hard to beat.

If money was no object, then the dorado would be the winner.:D
It really is tough to beat the standard Evo in terms of bang for the buck. It's just a little heavier and has a steel coil - same guts and same performance. Lots of people who have used the black ano vs the nickel stanchions from Marzocchi in the past will tell you that the black ones are far easier to keep running slick and smooth too.

3 year warranty and a stout f'ing fork. Guess a Boxxer Team would be the closest thing to compare it to, and I think that retails for around the same, but has the usual RS problems.

SCARY

Not long enough
As much as it hurts to agree with Hacktastic,his Dorado review is spot on.I ve only got 2 rides on it and it's another level of fork.I also thought the WC was too stiff.There's something about the flex in the Dorado that feels just right,I don't know what yet but it's good...I'll figure it out and put fancy words too it.

At your weight ,the progressiveness of this fork would be awesome for you.It's what ive been looking for,for years.The adjustment clickers actually work and do stuff,but the names for them are dumb and a little confusing at first ,its easy after you play with them.

whatever you do ,DONT get a used carbon one!You'll catch all kinds a hell for that.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Awwww look, big bad SCAWY is warming up to me!

That's another thing with the fork. The damping is definitely more progressive than digressive. What that equates to is that you can't really tell AT ALL what the fork is going to do at speed while sitting still. You just can't get it up to the speeds and energy required to get the real parts of the damping to kick in, but once it does you know it.

It is sensitive to oil height, but not so much that it uses it for end stroke behavior like most open bath forks - it has a hydraulic bottoming bullet on the damper rod for that. Works pretty damn well..

What I have noticed is a lot less arm pump due to the flex and the lack of air cushion interference in the midstroke.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
How is the stiffness of the Dorado versus the 888?

Does the Dorado still have the one way air system? Air in the top and out at the bottom?
I am not quite as big as you. I weigh about 205 and the Dorado has a bit of flex. It is pretty close to the 2010 Boxxer WC as far as stiffness. But then again the only fork I have ridden that I would call stiff is a 2001 Monster T. The Dorado is very predictable and stays where you point it. I have not ridden an 888 yet so I cannot compare. Soon I should have some time behind the 40 and can compare them better.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Last season's bike had a 888 Evo on it and it worked okay. I preferred Hacktastic worked over 07 888 ATA SL.

After the frame comes in I think I'll go Dorado. If nothing else it looks badass!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Is this the first thread where it's agreed that flex is a good thing?

I'm honestly trying to wrap my head around it. I understand the concept of deflection but I'm still trying to figure out how flex helps you to hold a better line.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Not sure how else to describe it. Small chatter sized bumps just don't disrupt it especially while just starting to lean.

They certainly do look badass though...

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Glad HACK is a believer, it took months of talkin sense into that kid about the fork! :D

Everyone already knows my answer to this thread, so Im not going to bother haha.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I am looking to sell my Boxxer Team and CR-1 tuned Boxer and get a fresh fork for the M-9.
It is a toss up between the Dorado and the 888 evo ti. Draw back on the 888 is the fact i would need a new top crown to run my stem. I wish they would just switch over to the Boxxer/40/Dorado bolt pattern

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I like my 29er Dorado so much I am getting the 26er version for my M9. Just sold my Boxxer Team today

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
Is this the first thread where it's agreed that flex is a good thing?

I'm honestly trying to wrap my head around it. I understand the concept of deflection but I'm still trying to figure out how flex helps you to hold a better line.
Flex CAN be ok, say if the bike is leaned over and you hit a rock on the side(above the contact point of the tire) you have some give/twist/flex of the wheel. It's kind of like what the tire/tire pressure do for small impacts that would knock you off line otherwise. It is like the difference between having 60psi through a rock garden as opposed to 25psi. In the end it’s not a big deal either way.

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
I am looking to sell my Boxxer Team and CR-1 tuned Boxer and get a fresh fork for the M-9.
It is a toss up between the Dorado and the 888 evo ti. Draw back on the 888 is the fact i would need a new top crown to run my stem. I wish they would just switch over to the Boxxer/40/Dorado bolt pattern
I am EXTREMELY curious as to why you would get rid of your CR1 fork. Please tell.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I would take a Dorado over a Fox 40 any day of the week. I had both a 2009 Fox 40 and Pro Dorado. It was Night and day difference for me. The 40 tended to skip over a lot and not track as well as the Dorado. Yes I had the 40 set up right for my riding style. Let's just say the Dorado fit my riding style more due to riding Moto in the past too. I have had Inverted forks back in the day both the Shiver and old Dorado's. The new Dorado is sick and a big upgrade to everything I have ever raced on!!!!

Cecil

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If the 2011 40 is anything like the 36 then the 40 is going to be amazing.... I like my bxr/avy more than anything else I've ridden but for a off the shelf unit the new fox's are freaking amazing.......I like flex I think the 32mm boxxer was a great fork liked the tracking on it....which makes the dorado sou.d good....

Either way all those forks are top tier and will be bad@ $$...

NWS

Chimp
Sep 19, 2010
Do any of you Dorado owners notice the fork steering you to one side under hard braking?

I've heard one complaint about that, and been wondering how common it is...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Nah, the only place I might notice that would be braking in a deep rut maybe? I think twisting under braking has a lot more to do with how the tire is digging in though. For example, I notice a HUGE difference in hard front braking between a DHF and a High Roller. The High Roller digs and stays straight and gets more and more traction, where the DHF reaches its braking traction limits pretty quick and twists and squirms on the middle knobs.

If you mean the fork is always steering to the same side under braking, then that is a different issue. Re-torque the triple clamps evenly, and PROPERLY install the axle. It's not like installing the axle on a conventional "arched" fork. You have to let the one side "float" with the pinch bolts loosened to let that leg center itself so it doesn't bind up. It's the right side if I remember right. The axle bolt just tightens the axle shoulder against the hub to the left leg, and the right leg is held in place to the axle at an arbitrary position. Not really sure how that would cause braking pull, but just a thought.

Quickneon - the 888 Ti comes with the Marzocchi integrated stem, so there is no need to swap crowns or anything funny to run a Boxxer stem.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Loven all the flexy comments coming from the band wagon whores.
I never minded the slight flex in inverted forks, like a steering damper, but I'm light, and I do recall many people bagging out the thought, I don't actually remember anyone ever agreeing with the theory.
I didn't like 32mm Boxxer flex but.
I'd love to try the new Doradoes, but haappy as with my Avy Boxxer for now. I just want a 888evo shell to put the avy cart in. Dorrado may be better, but the 888/Avy set up would be so good it'd not matter.
I'm curious if a 35mm 888 would be a better host.
I did notice brake pulling on older inverted forks, and the inverted Kowas.
Can't wait to try the Dorradoes, but you really need to own the fork or have it for a decent time to try it propper.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Most previous inverted chassis have pretty much sucked. Even now it might not be the best thing for every rider. Works for some, and I also know it really doesn't work for some riders too. Don't think it has to do with any "bandwagoning".

When did Kowa make an inverted fork?

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Hack I know the 888 comes with a dm stem. I have owned a few pre 08s but always hated those stems.
I love my Deity dm stem so if I get an 888 I would need a new top crown.
Probably going to sell both of my Boxxers and get a Dorado. Just so expensive

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Most previous inverted chassis have pretty much sucked. Even now it might not be the best thing for every rider. Works for some, and I also know it really doesn't work for some riders too. Don't think it has to do with any "bandwagoning".

When did Kowa make an inverted fork?
Yeah, as a whole I think inverteds not such a great idea. Bit of deflection is okay, but overall, not worth it.
Kowa have done an inverted for ages now.
Changing someones theroies to suit an argument that has now been proven with evidence, or justified/overlooked because it's cool for other reasons is what bandwagoning is isn't it?
Either way, I was just havin a stab, as nobody supported the theory when I wondered about it a couple of years back.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Bleeding a 40 isnt any harder than bleeding brakes. The first time it takes a little bit of time but every time after its pretty easy. If I could afford a new fork I would sure as hell be on a new dorado. Everything about them is dialed. Although I dont like having to use two different sized allens to put the front wheel on.

The new 888 seems to be all its cracked up to be though, as well as the 40. I love my 40 now, but I would prefer to have a dorado.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Does the Dorado have leaking issues like the Shiver had? I always liked my shiver better then the 888, but needed the seals changed more often the most.
really? Is it possible you were running too much oil? Myself and many others I've spoken to ran 3 or 4 year old Shivers with original seals.

Norther

Chimp
Sep 11, 2009
Finland
Myself and many others I've spoken to ran 3 or 4 year old Shivers with original seals.
I agree. 4 years of riding with Shiver and no leakage problems what so ever.
Basic maintenance is ofcourse important... including washing the fork after every ride.

I think inverted fork design is way better when riding muddy conditions. Dust seals wipe sliders clean more easily than regular fork's . Thought some very dry dusty conditions are hellish to any type of fork designs or seals.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Go Dorado! I love mine, no leaks, no problems in 2 years. Sent it in for maintenance twice in 2 years, they put in upgrades and new seals, oil etc. got her back roundtrip less than 2 weeks better than new after the maintenance!

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Does the Dorado have leaking issues like the Shiver had? I always liked my shiver better then the 888, but needed the seals changed more often the most.
The Dorado we have right now has over 150K vertical feet on it and approaching the 200K mark. It has a little oil seap now and again but very little. It is still running very well. I do not really mind the slight flex of the fork. In fact it is not noticeable to me at all at this point.