Quantcast

888 or Travis (when it comes out)

downhill66

Monkey
Aug 23, 2005
doing somthing....
i ride alot of freeride and am stating to really get in to downhill racing. when i get $$$ i was woundering which to get for the stuff i do a 888 or The new Travis??? ive got a super t right now.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
downhill66 said:
i ride alot of freeride and am stating to really get in to downhill racing. when i get $$$ i was woundering which to get for the stuff i do a 888 or The new Travis??? ive got a super t right now.
Talk to me today about it. I'll sell you my 888 for cheap.(and I'll get new lowers for it before I sell it)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Turd Ferguson said:
888, lest you be a trader.
Mani-poo is loved by those who
haven't spent much time on
a zoke.
Not so. I have several Marzocchis and yes they are nice. But certain Manitous are super nice as well. The 888 is a pimp fork and the Travis is a new production item. So take that into account.

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
I have ridden manitou for a couple years now, and the one thing I have continualy been impressed with is the dampening. At least for dh racing. I have ridden the 888 and travis on dh courses this year and although the 888 feels decent, I was really impressed with the travis. It had all the small bump absorbtion of the tpc+ but the bottom out feeling of spv. I was actually amazed at the job manitou had done, especially with the quality control issues they had last year. That being said I have never had an issue with Manitou as far as warranty either. It always seems like I am trying to jump through hoops with Marzocchi. That is just my experience, I'm sure others feel differently as far as the customer service goes.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
your asking people for a rec. on a fork that 99% of us haven't even seen in person, much less ridden. Maybe after interbike dirt demo you'll be able to get some reviews.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
the 06 888 will have some added adjustabilities that should put it back toe to toe with the likes of the 40rc2, except it will still have the weight handicap. However if you like to freeride or sit around in between runs you might want to ride zokes cause all of the manitou experience I've had says they require a bit more maintanence.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
The new lighter 888s look real real nice. Travis is a nice looking fork but manitou hasn't been doing to good with first production runs from what i've seen.

Zack

Monkey
Apr 5, 2004
West Menlo
I pushed down on a Travis at Whistler and it felt terrible. But then again, I was just pushing down on it.

But even if the Travis felt great, I still would not get one during its 1st year of production.

I'd go with the 888 out of those two choices.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Zack said:
I pushed down on a Travis at Whistler and it felt terrible. But then again, I was just pushing down on it.

But even if the Travis felt great, I still would not get one during its 1st year of production.

I'd go with the 888 out of those two choices.
AHAHAHAHHA zip ties

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
well i really like my manitou fork. no one can really say much about the travis. its has only been ridden by a few and most of the people that really have time on it are manitou sponsored and are most likely biased towards it. but as far as my past experiences with manitou i would suggest gettign a fork from them. they feel nice and aren't too heavy and they work well.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
lets just say my travis has been the best fork i have ridden. and its been fine all season long minus one mess up on my part

Dirtbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
eastbay
dexter said:
lets just say my travis has been the best fork i have ridden. and its been fine all season long minus one mess up on my part
Even if it broke on your part, it must be weaksauce, correct? :think:

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
i rode one of the pros bikes in mammoth after they did kamacazie and the travis was so nice and smooth but the 888 are alittle bit stiff so it depends on what u are doing