Quantcast

888 Seals/bushings

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
May be a dumb question but I have never replaced seals or bushings in a 888.

Can you take good bushings or seals out of 888 lowers without messing them up? Can they be reused or do they get chewed up with removal?

While I am here I might as well of for this one too. Are the internals in 888 across years interchangeable? I know the new ones are probably not but what about 2004-2006?

thanks

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
May be a dumb question but I have never replaced seals or bushings in a 888.

Can you take good bushings or seals out of 888 lowers without messing them up? Can they be reused or do they get chewed up with removal?

While I am here I might as well of for this one too. Are the internals in 888 across years interchangeable? I know the new ones are probably not but what about 2004-2006?

thanks
I have re-used seals, but I don't recommend it.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Why in the world would you want to remove the wipers, seals, and bushings...just to put them back in again?

To remove the wiper you pry it out...if you are careful you wont hurt them.

The seals are under the wipers, under a circlip and will also need to be pried out. The seals have a thin metal skeleton that you will bend all to hell when you remove the seals.....

The bushings are under the seals....the upper bushing you should be able to get out without any tools and reuse...the lower ones are a bit harder.

The internals from the first gen (04-05 IIRC) of 888 are all interchangeable. The internals from the second gen (06-07) 888 are all interchageable, but differ from the earlier versions. To do a 06/07 swap into a 04/05 fork, you would need to replace most of the internals (not just a cartrage or spring, but both)...and you would of course need all the newer knobs and such to fit the newer internals.

The newest version are a different stanchion diameter, which means (best guess) that nothing from an 08 will fit any prior year fork.