Quantcast

888 SL ATA knob... issues...

i have been riding an 07 888sl and really love it, BUT the travel adjust has been bugging me...
after repeated hits in full travel setting, the knob will undo itself and usually i will end up with about an inch less travel then i started with at the top...

anyone know how to fix this? for the terrain i'm riding, i need all of that travel and HA throughout the whole trail, things just dont work out without it...

thanks

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
When I was running a 66sl, I got so frustrated with it I just duct taped it down, it worked really well though

caseyo

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Reno
1. Search, we have been over this many times.

2. If you don't need the adjustment, open up the left top cap, and screw in the little set screws all the way in, this will lock out your adjuster, and keep you at a set travel amount.

hey sorry for being too lazy to search... i didnt know it was that common... and i can barely think straight; i've been hiking my bike and DHing for the past 5 days...
thanks for the info, i dont know how to take off the cap and replace the springs so i'll probably just use some electrical tape to keep it set seeing as to how i DO need the adjustment, but need it to be set throughout each trail... its either really steep, super rocky, and crazy fast or almost flat around here, so i need the setup to coincide with the trail so i'm not dying on the flat and bucking in the steeps...

i'll check it out
thanks again

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
The spring fix is very easy. Search for one of the tutorials and it'll have you set. All you do is essentially 1. pull off the ata adjuster knob 2. using a park tools fr-5 cassette tool unscrew the top cap of the left leg. (you might want to let out air first) 3. the top cap has two adjuster screws on the sides, unscrew these so that they're flush 4. fill the opening of the stanchion with a rag and carefully pull the top cap up and off (with a hand underneath the top cap so you dont lose a ball or spring if one were to come out. 5. unscrew the screws the rest of the way and replace the set springs inside with those found in the other tutorial 6. screw the screws back in so that you get a nice solid click when you turn the adjuster and reassemble.

That is definitely a brief instruction to let you know it IS easy to do. It might even screw down a little bit later on really big hits but it fixes about 90% of the problem. Also another fyi, always make sure you snap that ata knob back on good otherwise it'll cost you a cool $35 to get it replaced.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Uh, it is way easier than what everyone here is saying. Unscrew the top cap and tighten down the set screws on the side of the top cap. Done

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Uh, it is way easier than what everyone here is saying. Unscrew the top cap and tighten down the set screws on the side of the top cap. Done
bingo, you don't even have to lock it out, just a few turns to stiffen up the knob, it'll still work but won't wind down.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
The black adjuster cap has 2 fingers that you pop up, and then pull off. Then you need a cassette tool to take the top cap off the left stantion.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
Here ya go.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=339566

The absolute fix. Did it myself and the ATA works perfect now.

How you liking your Rotec.? I considered buying that frame. Guy said he was taking offers and it was up to $900. Cracks me up that you got it for $550. I'd of given him $750 in a heartbeat but I wasn't going over $900, so I didn't bother making an offer. That'll teach him not to lie.

Let me know if you decide to sell it.

thats awesome info, thanks for that, i aplogize again for my laziness..

i adjusted the screws and it seems like it will work for the time being, but i do plan on doing the true spring fix later down the line...
now i just need a shock pump to get my pressure back up in that leg... i'll probably pump it up in the RC2 leg as well depending on how much there already is in there...

as for the Rotec, its friggin amazing and yeah, it cracks me up as well that i got it for $550... who was the guy you saw a frame from?
and as for selling it, well i plan on riding it for at least the next few years, and with my racing schedule becoming more and more free as high school drags on, i plan on being with them for awhile... so i'm probably not going to sell it pretty much ever...

caseyo

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Reno
i'll probably pump it up in the RC2 leg as well depending on how much there already is in there...

Don't pump the right side. That makes absolutely no sense. It's your DAMPENING side, the left leg is the AIR SPRING side. What would you accomplish by this anyway? And how would you put air in there as well? Don't be dumb.

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
thats awesome info, thanks for that, i aplogize again for my laziness..

i adjusted the screws and it seems like it will work for the time being, but i do plan on doing the true spring fix later down the line...
now i just need a shock pump to get my pressure back up in that leg... i'll probably pump it up in the RC2 leg as well depending on how much there already is in there...

as for the Rotec, its friggin amazing and yeah, it cracks me up as well that i got it for $550... who was the guy you saw a frame from?
and as for selling it, well i plan on riding it for at least the next few years, and with my racing schedule becoming more and more free as high school drags on, i plan on being with them for awhile... so i'm probably not going to sell it pretty much ever...
I'm pretty sure it's the frame you got. Saw it on pinkbike. Can't remember his name. I'm sure its the same one. He had it advertised for $650, but when I contacted him, he wouldn't sell it for $650. Said he was taking offers until Friday and that it currently had a high offer of $900. Obviously he was lying to try and up the price. Bad Karma, came back and bit him

Anyway, glad you're diggin it. You deserve a nice bike after riding that Prowler for so long. :thumb:

seeing as to how i'm supposed to reapply air into the RC2 side if i DO release it, i would imagine there is a way... if theres not, then i wont... am i still dumb because i want my compression adjustment to do its job more effectivley?

i'm just using a typical shock pump for the reapplication of pressure to the ATA side right?

I'm pretty sure it's the frame you got. Saw it on pinkbike. Can't remember his name. I'm sure its the same one. He had it advertised for $650, but when I contacted him, he wouldn't sell it for $650. Said he was taking offers until Friday and that it currently had a high offer of $900. Obviously he was lying to try and up the price. Bad Karma, came back and bit him

Anyway, glad you're diggin it. You deserve a nice bike after riding that Prowler for so long. :thumb:
interesting, it is definitley the same guy(Willem) and it doesnt surprise me that he upped the price like that...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Hey anyone know if just taping down the knob (really well) will work?
Anything that will stop the knob from twisting will work. I haven't seen tape, but I've seen a well placed zip tie. I use a piece of soldering wire bent around the knob and attached to the fork with a screw under the crown.

edit: that was for the 66sl, but should be the same deal

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
For everyone's information: The 2008 ATA adjuster top cap will solve the problem. It doesn't allow rotation without being pulled up a few mm then rotated. Just order it from Zoke.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
I will definitely look into getting a new cap then.. unfotunately i lost my cap on my 07 fork and to get it replaced it costed a cool 37 bones.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It's just the adjuster cap. It fits into the splines of the top cap which are the splines for the cassette lockring tool, same as '07.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
No it doesnt. Its just a tight oring, if it fitted into the splines the topcap would undo when you adjust the travel.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The '08 adjuster cap fits into the splines, the '07 one doesn't which is why it's allowed to move. There's a little piece protruding from the underside of the '08 cap that slips into the splines when it's pressed down all the way, so you have to pull it up a few mm to adjust it then press it back down. No wind down this way.

Jonny5

Monkey
Feb 13, 2007
Sorry dude, I did own this fork, Never remember having to lift the knob to adjust the travel.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If you owned the '08 with the red ATA adjuster, it should have had to come up to to adjust the travel. Otherwise, you probably broke off the little tabs that hold it in place by not pulling it up first and trying to turn it too hard (that's pretty common).