Quantcast

888 stem strippage and suck

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Somehow over the weekend I stripped out the screw hole on the handle bar clamp on my 888. I'm broke, so I don't want to shell out for a new Marzocchi mount as I think they're not going to recognize a warranty claim.

This leaves me with a few other options. If you've ever done any, please chime in and let me know what I am getting into.

1. I could heli-coil the screw hole, fit in a new bolt and drill out the clamp.
2. I could buy a Sunline replacement stem.
3. I can put a dabble of JB Weld in the stripped out bolt hole, and lock myself into one bar until it breaks or I feel like cutting things out.

Any other option I didn't think through?

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
Before any of that make sure you check and see just how long those stock M6 bolts actually are... I thought I did the same on a Marz. integrated stem but it turns out that all four faceplate bolts were too short to actually keep a hold of things. I simply bought some longer bolts and was done with it. The damage to one hole was only a few turns deep and the remaining threads were more than enough.

If you go the heli coil route just make sure that there is enough material surrounding the bolt hole before you remove any more.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Thanks a lot for that bit of advice. Went to Lowes today, got some longer bolts, ran them in tonight, Bob's my Uncle and all is sorted.

emo

Chimp
Jan 30, 2009
Melbs, Australia
Thanks a lot for that bit of advice. Went to Lowes today, got some longer bolts, ran them in tonight, Bob's my Uncle and all is sorted.
Same thing happened to me back in 2005. Got some longer bolts and the stem held up for the rest of the season... Dont know if i was using the stock bolts but whatever they were, they were quite short and not good.