Quantcast

888 vs. shiver

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
bizutch said:
Hey Brian, any chance the Shiver could get the upgraded damping of the 888?
that '05 Shiver is so beautiful I wanna get it instead????
Funny I was hopimg I could get my Shiver customed tuned like they offer for the 888 now....I hope so:thumb:....D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
BMXman said:
Funny I was hopimg I could get my Shiver customed tuned like they offer for the 888 now....I hope so:thumb:....D
so what are the weights of the Shiver versus the 888RC? I loved my 04 888 and am about to order an '05 with the aftermarket crowns.

But man, I also had the original Shiver and it felt great but was strapped to a boat of a bike, an RM9. I'd like to ride both on the same day to get a feel for performance. I'm using it as a straight up race fork on my DHR...not any hucking. :D

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Custom tune a shiver? What, adjust spring rate, oil weight and height to your weight/riding style, slap some fancy stickers on, and overcharge you? Well, if you really want that, I'm sure any shop could help you out there ;)

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Rik said:
Custom tune a shiver? What, adjust spring rate, oil weight and height to your weight/riding style, slap some fancy stickers on, and overcharge you? Well, if you really want that, I'm sure any shop could help you out there ;)
You would be surprised at how many riders don't realize they can do this, or how many refuse to figure out how to do it themselves.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
James | Go-Ride said:
You would be surprised at how many riders don't realize they can do this, or how many refuse to figure out how to do it themselves.

Yeah it is amazing...alot of people I ride with look at me like I'm on crack when i say I'm working on my fork

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
James | Go-Ride said:
Fork tuning is it has gained the mystique which wheel building used to possess before the onset of high quality prebuilt wheels.

One factor is reducing the wheel building mystique is all the great books on how to do it (Jobst Brandt, Gert Schander).

There is some magic skill in fork tuning, but I bet you could print a 5 page pamphelet with all the necessary information. Like input weight and riding style, output spring rate, oil weight, and level.

Of course, just like wheel building, you could possess all the knowledge in the world and do it badly...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
There's also the problem of many of us just not knowing what a well-tuned fork feels like or should feel like...helps to have someone with experience set it up, at least initially, if you're not thoroughly familiar.

Adjustments can go bad amazingly quickly. Plus, we (I'm really bad with this...) tend to get used to what we ride, and sometimes it takes someone else to point out a really odd trait or aquired defect in our suspension setup.

MD

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
James | Go-Ride said:
maybe because the owner's manual of a 888 reads like a 3 page short story. The owner's manuals and tech manuals on a 888 or Shiver are pretty basic and don't tell you much in the details.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
NotQuiteJdm said:
Isn't there a "lighter" spring set out for the shiver?
Marzocchi makes light, medium, and heavy springs (at least; I think there are x-heavy ones, too) for all its coil forks.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
OGRipper said:
Uh, yeah they do but does the lighter spring weigh less?

:D
Ha. No, I don't think they did a lightweight spring kit, although I've heard of custom-winding Ti springs, and I know some people have done an air conversion to one or both legs. I believe Zedro's running a single-sided air spring.

MD

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
iridebikes said:
Ok. I'm having a hard time choosing which fork to get. i'm looking at either the 888, or the shiver. I've ridden a shiver, and i loved it. but so far the 2 888's that i've ridden have been very underwelming... But it seems like everyone has them, so the ones i rode just might have been very badly tuned. Anyways. The one thing that I hate about the 888, is the fact that EVERYONE and their mother has one. And I just like having something a little bit different. The upsidedown style doesn't seem like that big of a deal. I mean, people are winning races on durado's arent' they? I know the shiver is a bit heavier, but the stantions are a little bigger, and its more of a freeride fork than the durado i guess. anyways, I'm just wondering what some different views are between the two. I've read different reviews by people on different websides(i.e. nsmb.com and mtbr.com) and the shiver was almost a 5 star rated fork, and eveyrone who posted said they liked it better than the 888 becuase the 888 has broken for their friends, and doesn't ride as nice.
Any ideas on what I should get?
It will be going on a Canfield Brother's Formula 1, and I will be using it for freeriding, alot of time up at whistler, and hopefully a few dh races. I'm not sure if that makes a difference on choice, but who knows.

Thanks for the help!
I was stuck in the same situation as you. I ended up going with the Shiver, and I don't regret it for a second. I know someone who has broken their 888 lowers but I have never heard of a Shiver breaking. Really, the choice is up to you. They are both great forks, the Shiver is a little heavier but it's not that much more noticable when you are riding it. If you will be doing a lot of freeriding at Whistler too I would recommend the Shiver too. Good luck.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Yeah, i love the Shiver, the 888 is lighter and is has more external turning, but the Shiver is a great fork in it's own right. I think if you mess with it enough you can get it feeling as smooth and sweet as a 888. Plus you'll never break it.