Quantcast

888ATA to coil RC2 conversion?

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I have a 07 888ATA, that I plan on getting a AVA cart for this winter so I won't be using my RC2 cart any more.

Now I have a friend who has a lower end 888 who would like to have my cart. His fork is a coil so what I'm wondering is if the spring perch out of a 888R (I think) would fit on to the RC2 cart? If not what parts are required?

thanks.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Uh, 2007 ATA and all later 888s have one spring. I have to look up the '07 coil fork.

Edit: I don't know. I thought '07 internals were similar to '08+ but it looks like things were funky.

Last edited:

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I had a 2007 66RC2X and it had 2 springs. 2008+ is completely different. RC2 vs RC3, and different stantion size

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Been a while since I was on the marzocchi boat, but I'm pretty sure the 2007 ATA is the 2004-2006 chassis still.

So if your friends lower end fork is a 2004-2006 it should work fine, just replace the rebound side cartridge with your RC2 cart. The other side doesn't do much anyway so it doesn't matter about that.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
2007 ATA had no coil springs - just the air cart.

2006-2007 coil RC2X forks had 1 coil spring per leg with the exception of the '07 ATA.

In 2006 they went to a different damper, so the spring perches and spring lengths MAY be different, but I seem to remember swapping out springs between those generations and being fine.

If you are replacing the whole cartridge, then it should bring the spring perches with it and remain the same through the swap...or do you have to keep those for the Avy damper?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah I think the spring perches and spring lengths are the same between the old R damper and the new RC2 damper. I doubt they changed the damper for the ATA fork.

Assuming his friend's fork is an 04-05 888R or RC with a HSCV rebound cartridge I think the spring perches should fit the new cart fine, worst case try and order some new ones from marzocchi or make up your own - they're pretty simple.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I thought 07WC with Ti spring had 1 spring in 1 leg only nd 35mm stanchions. Is this correct? Because I'm looking for a Ti sprung 35mm 888 for my AVy cart.
However, would a 38mm stantioned ti sprung 888 chasis be lighter? I'm only 70kg, so thought 35mm stanchions woulb be stiff enough, and have a bit less stiction in theory. But if they're heavier, it might sway me to get 38mm stanchioned ones.
Sorry for the derail.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS

2006-2007 coil RC2X forks had 1 coil spring per leg with the exception of the '07 ATA.

In 2006 they went to a different damper, so the spring perches and spring lengths MAY be different, but I seem to remember swapping out springs between those generations and being fine.

If you are replacing the whole cartridge, then it should bring the spring perches with it and remain the same through the swap...or do you have to keep those for the Avy damper?

Do you think the spring perch from the R cart will fit the RC2? I'm keeping my ATA air when I go Avy so I wont need any perches.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Been a while since I was on the marzocchi boat, but I'm pretty sure the 2007 ATA is the 2004-2006 chassis still.

So if your friends lower end fork is a 2004-2006 it should work fine, just replace the rebound side cartridge with your RC2 cart. The other side doesn't do much anyway so it doesn't matter about that.

Yeah I think the spring perches and spring lengths are the same between the old R damper and the new RC2 damper. I doubt they changed the damper for the ATA fork.

Assuming his friend's fork is an 04-05 888R or RC with a HSCV rebound cartridge I think the spring perches should fit the new cart fine, worst case try and order some new ones from marzocchi or make up your own - they're pretty simple.
What these guys said..... done it... it owrks fine.

No you do not have to add a 2x carft to the other side either.

Take the entire rc2 cart out, will have comp on bottom rebound on top of course...... install that in place of the R cart.

The 2x cart had the bottom out control, some forks had that on the opposite side of the damper, some had an ETA system....... some had nothing. No reason to even mess with the other side.

If anything you may have to swap a top cap.....

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
So I bought Hacktastic's 2007 BOS cart RC2X WC. What I find w/ that fork is it's VERY progressive when compared to the 38mm 888 (I have an '08 WC RC3 as well). The reason, I believe, is the 4" aluminum spacer on top of each of the '07's Ti springs (one in each leg). My goal is to install a longer spring from a 35mm BXR into that fork, changing it to a one spring fork like the 38mm 888, and make the fork less progressive - no spring on the BOS cart side and just let the cart's shimming to take care of how to use the 200mm of travel. And, the increased spring length will reduce the progressive-ness of the travel, and hopefully get deeper into the sag while static, and travel in bigger hits.

For a BXR, I'd be on a very pre-loaded red spring, or a lightly pre-loaded blue spring...from what RS' chart says. So I picked up both in case the BOS cart contributes or takes away from the spring rate (w/ the Avy cart, you can run a lighter spring...or at least w/ less preload). I tried to get the spring to fit with a dry fit, and found the heatshrink anti-rattle pieces will need to be cut off. The BXR spring is also tapered on one end. But I think if the tapered end is put on top, it'll fit under a VF version top cap, w/the volume plunger/piston removed. I was going to use a VF piston and topout spring assembly in the bottom of the stanchion so no spring perch is needed in either legs.

W/ respect to the ATA, I don't think it will have a "spring" perch as there isn't a coil.

PS...
If this works, I was going to drop my spare ('08) RC3 cart into a ('06) VF chassis (got me an Avy cart for the '08 WC). The thing that needs to be changed is the footnut and the style of the compression knob. The '08 RC3 knob and footnut will need to be changed to the '07 smaller wrench face ones so that it'll fit between the casting tabs, and the knob will need to be the bolt-thru-the-bottom style instead of the bigger set-screw-on-the-side of the '08 fork. The top...you'll need the 35mm one instead of the 38mm screw cap w/ the knob drilling. That said, everything should just bolt together after that.

Last edited: