Quantcast

888RC or VF

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by allenzoom, Sep 27, 2005.

1. allenzoom

allenzoom Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Ok guys it is that time of year when all the old stock is going on sale to make way for all the groovy new 06 products and I am looking for a new fork and I need some help! I am looking at the '05 888's and my dilemma is this... which model is better and why? The RC or the VF? Even though the RC has more adjustablity, I can get the VF for $300 less. Are the extra adjustments really needed? I am about 180 lbs, mostly ride freeride, but I also race during the racing season. My racing is very much secondary to dropping, jumping, etc. Any advise as to which fork would best suite my needs would be appreciated.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. RaID

RaID Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    *cough* search

quick answer, much better HSCV damping in the RC, SSV (ie Junior T) damping in the VF

for me its a no brainer RC

3. nuclear 674

nuclear 674 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    the rc is probley a better way to go for racing ie the amount of adjustment available. The vf is a good choice if your not interested in the tuning the rc has. That said you can get the vf set up nicely if your willing to take the time.

4. Grizzle

Grizzle Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    There is a very good reason that the VF is so much cheaper. To put it bluntly, the ssvf damping system just plain sucks. You really can feel a night and day difference between the hscv and the ssvf, i would go 888RC for sure. My personal favorite is the shivers :D

5. zedro

zedro Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    its not about the adjustability, its about the quality of damping. You could knock the adjuster knobs off with a hammer and it would still be 10x better.

This is like asking between a year old BMW vs a brand new Hyundai....they are still the same difference.

6. Sir_Crackien

Sir_Crackien Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    personnally i would take many hyundia's over many bmw's

but that said just get the rc and be happy. also from this point never look back

7. DH SB RIDER

DH SB RIDER Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    The vf is fine if its just a single impact. But when the going gets rough then your going to want the better damping(hcsv). For high speeds and racing the rc is by far better. For what you do the rc will be better but i guess the vf will work, i just heard that they spike.

8. zedro

zedro Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    uhh....ya